TRADOS7 has changed
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Japanese to English
Aug 31, 2006

Everytime I try to close Word, whether Trados is open or not, I get the message "TRADOS7 has changed. Do you want to save it?" (Or something like that. My OS is Japanese, so I get a Japanese message.)

I have SDL Trados 2006 installed. I tried to uninstall it and re-install it, but it didn't help. Does anybody know what is causing this? Or better yet, how to fix it?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:49
Italian to English
In memoriam
You may have to live with it. Aug 31, 2006

Hi Casey,

I imagine you are talking about saving changes to the Trados7.dot template.

Take a look at this message from the TW_users Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/36286

Depending on what other add-in templates you have in Word, you may just have to live with it and click the Japanese equivalent of "NO" ea
... See more
Hi Casey,

I imagine you are talking about saving changes to the Trados7.dot template.

Take a look at this message from the TW_users Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/36286

Depending on what other add-in templates you have in Word, you may just have to live with it and click the Japanese equivalent of "NO" each time you close the program.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Aug 31, 2006

Unfortunately that's exactly my problem. I just have to live with it, huh? What a pain. I use Word several times a day, so it gets very annoying.

Thanks for pointing me to that resource.

[Edited at 2006-08-31 10:35]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go to Word startup folder and set Trados7.dot as "read only" Aug 31, 2006

First I would once save the changes, than I would set the Trados template to read only.
You can also check other activated templates - you can deactivate them from Format - Templates and add ons menu. Very possibly an Acrobat template interacts with the Trados template.
And you do not need any Acrobat templates in order to create PDFs - at least this is my case.
I deleted all active Arcobat templates, as they interacted (disturbed) many functions and wrote me (better said: reco
... See more
First I would once save the changes, than I would set the Trados template to read only.
You can also check other activated templates - you can deactivate them from Format - Templates and add ons menu. Very possibly an Acrobat template interacts with the Trados template.
And you do not need any Acrobat templates in order to create PDFs - at least this is my case.
I deleted all active Arcobat templates, as they interacted (disturbed) many functions and wrote me (better said: recorded) a very simple macro for printing to PDF.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Changing buttons or macros to the Word toolbars Aug 31, 2006

may lead to this behaviour. If you click No, the changes made to your toolbars are lost the next time you open Word.
When I know I fiddled with the toolbars, I click Yes.
As far as I have experienced, there is not much you can lose by clicking Yes, except creating a rotten Trados template (which never happened to me). Be sure to have a backup copy of the template before clicking Yes. There is one in the application zip.
The only noticeable issue is that my Word takes a bit mor
... See more
may lead to this behaviour. If you click No, the changes made to your toolbars are lost the next time you open Word.
When I know I fiddled with the toolbars, I click Yes.
As far as I have experienced, there is not much you can lose by clicking Yes, except creating a rotten Trados template (which never happened to me). Be sure to have a backup copy of the template before clicking Yes. There is one in the application zip.
The only noticeable issue is that my Word takes a bit more time to load, because my current Trados template is 451KB whereas the original is 341 (for my version of Trados 7.1). But compared to the nuisance of this pop-up message, it is negligeable.

My advice (against the user manual): click Yes and see what happens. Most likely nothing bad for your blood pressure.

Regards,
Philippe
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Aug 31, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I deleted all active Arcobat templates, as they interacted (disturbed) many functions and wrote me (better said: recorded) a very simple macro for printing to PDF.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for the assistance. I changed the Trados template to read only, but it didn't change anything. I couldn't find any other templates, active or otherwise.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No active macros listed? Aug 31, 2006

And still changes? What if you save the changes?
Do they reappear again?
Do you use any fax software from Symantec for example?
Do you have Acrobat from Adobe?
Any OCR programs?

Regards
Jerzy

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have Acrobat... Aug 31, 2006

But I don't see any templates. Where should I be looking?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS7 has changed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »