accented characters corrupted in TM
Thread poster: Robert Morin
Robert Morin
Robert Morin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:30
English to French
Oct 17, 2006

I have been using Trados 5 for several years but in the past few weeks, I've been having problems with corrupted characters (French accented) when I import a txt (from my customer who uses Trados 7) in my own version. In Notepad, I checked the TXT file used for export/import and found the accented characters are OK (not corrupted), and therefore, I cannot explain how they become corrupted after being imported into my TM... Any help will be appreciated, as it is very time-consuming to have to c... See more
I have been using Trados 5 for several years but in the past few weeks, I've been having problems with corrupted characters (French accented) when I import a txt (from my customer who uses Trados 7) in my own version. In Notepad, I checked the TXT file used for export/import and found the accented characters are OK (not corrupted), and therefore, I cannot explain how they become corrupted after being imported into my TM... Any help will be appreciated, as it is very time-consuming to have to correct all these corrupted characters...Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are very probably using Windows XP Oct 17, 2006

And the Notepad in Windows XP supports Unicode.
Also Trados 7 works with Unicode, unlike Trados 5.
It seems your customer has exported the TM to txt using the option for Trados 7. You could try to ask your customer to export into txt for Trados 3-6. This should solve your problem.

Regards
Jerzy

Robert Morin
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I use Windows 2000 Oct 17, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And the Notepad in Windows XP supports Unicode.
Also Trados 7 works with Unicode, unlike Trados 5.
It seems your customer has exported the TM to txt using the option for Trados 7. You could try to ask your customer to export into txt for Trados 3-6. This should solve your problem.

Regards
Jerzy

Thank you Jerzy, as your answer might give me a good hint on how to solve this with my customer (I did suspect the new Unicode feature of Trados 7 might be involved in this problem). I will try your method and keep you posted.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Notepad in Windows 2k also supports Unicode Oct 17, 2006

So really most probably this is the reason.

Best
Jerzy

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
I have the same problem too Oct 17, 2006

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my TM. I use Trados 7.1 with Windows XP and my TM is full of these corrupt characters now, even when I open it in Notepad. How can I take care of this problem?
Thank you
MIreille

Robert Morin
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
EUREKA! Oct 17, 2006

Thanks to your precious advice, Jerzy, my problem is now solved. My client reexported the TM in txt format by saving it for 2x-6x Trados versions (which do not include the new Unicode feature)and ;o) no more corrupted characters!

p.s. : Mireille, I think I read that when starting to use Trados versions 7 and later, you must convert your old TMs into the new format by exporting (in txt) and then importing them with your new version of Trados. Isn't it a pity!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have had no problems with Polish when migrating to higher versions Oct 17, 2006

I cannot confirm that, as I migrated from 3 to 5, then 5.5, 6, 6.5 and finally 7 and SDL Trados 2006 without regenerating my TMs.
Now it it possible, that I did not notice any changes, because I regenerated my TMs because they got corrupted, but not necessarilly when migrated. Some of them are quite huge, so I think my problems were of a different kind.

Mireille, what kind of characters are corrupted?
If they are also corrupted in the txt-export, just use search&replace
... See more
I cannot confirm that, as I migrated from 3 to 5, then 5.5, 6, 6.5 and finally 7 and SDL Trados 2006 without regenerating my TMs.
Now it it possible, that I did not notice any changes, because I regenerated my TMs because they got corrupted, but not necessarilly when migrated. Some of them are quite huge, so I think my problems were of a different kind.

Mireille, what kind of characters are corrupted?
If they are also corrupted in the txt-export, just use search&replace in Notepad (or any better text editor) to replace them with correct characters and then create a new TM and import this one. Then you shouln´t have any corrputed characters anymore.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
it is the accented words Oct 17, 2006

This only happened after I received a TM from a client. I am going to do search and replace but it is a huge TM.
Mireille

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my experience with "corrupted" characters Oct 17, 2006

is limited to Trados versions before 7 (6.5 I would assume) . In the Slovenian language there one single character (č) that's not a part of the (8bit) western character set. So when instead of the middle-european the western european set somehow sneaked in (sometimes it was enough to say, the text is in German), all my texts started showing ugly é charácters. Add a corrupted TM, that again and again resisted the corrections, and you have a perfect case of chaos ...

The solutio
... See more
is limited to Trados versions before 7 (6.5 I would assume) . In the Slovenian language there one single character (č) that's not a part of the (8bit) western character set. So when instead of the middle-european the western european set somehow sneaked in (sometimes it was enough to say, the text is in German), all my texts started showing ugly é charácters. Add a corrupted TM, that again and again resisted the corrections, and you have a perfect case of chaos ...

The solution is to switch to Unicode (i.e. TRADOS 7 and word 2003). And to be careful with Notepad: you may load a file, look at it ... and store it then in ANSI 8bits. A sure way to get your favourite characters on your screen again....

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-10-17 21:40]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

accented characters corrupted in TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »