Batch apply tw4winExternal to many files?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Hi all,

I trust Hynek, Vito, Samuel, tectranslate and you other regulars to have some really clever input to this question.

I had a custom made macro (.dot file) , that applied tw4winExternal to batches of Word files on Word 2000, where I can enter "start and end characters" for the string that should be tagged.

That macro was created by a guy here at the agency, but he quit and now the macro
... See more
Hi all,

I trust Hynek, Vito, Samuel, tectranslate and you other regulars to have some really clever input to this question.

I had a custom made macro (.dot file) , that applied tw4winExternal to batches of Word files on Word 2000, where I can enter "start and end characters" for the string that should be tagged.

That macro was created by a guy here at the agency, but he quit and now the macro doesn't work for Word 2003.

An example: we have 125 text files that were exported from AutoCAD. They now have this format:

{34B7}
TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 4
{34B6}
ENVOI DE DONNES
{34B5}
TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 3

Another way is to utilize the TagEditor filter settings in Trados 7.5.
I was experimenting with the java settings: by adding the curly bracket as a "comment marker", these lines will be ignored. But it requires that I rename all files to *.properties, and the less steps involved, the better.

Would any of you guys be interested in looking closer at this, as an assignment? PM me for details...

/Jan
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
lemme see (g) Oct 25, 2006

... and now the macro doesn't work for Word 2003

Send it in, Jan. Plus some files to test it out.

smo

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well... Oct 25, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the flowers.

An example: we have 125 text files that were exported from AutoCAD. They now have this format:

{34B7}
TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 4
{34B6}
ENVOI DE DONNES
{34B5}
TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 3

And you need "TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 4", "ENVOI DE DONNES" and "TOP PLAQUE ROBOT 3" translated?

I have a ready-made macro just for this purpose (provided that there isn't any text in curly brackets somewhere that DOES need to be translated.)

BUT it only works on the currently opened file right now - haven't gotten round to implementing the logic for batch processing just yet (plus, the unavailability of file dialog functions in VBA makes this unnecessarily complicated.)

So your best bet might be with Vito.

Vito, if you need any pointers on the algorithm to use, let me know.

Regards,
Benjamin

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
TT is the answer! Oct 25, 2006

What you need is Tortoise Tagger... Available here:

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

And it does work with batches.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Too complicated, imho... Oct 25, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

What you need is Tortoise Tagger... Available here:

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

And it does work with batches.

I remember downloading this program and finding the documentation to be more confusing than helpful - it looks like a powerful tool, but I have the feeling you need to study hard to be able to fully utilize it.

Regards,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Batch apply tw4winExternal to many files?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »