Translation vs. transliteration in converting brand names to Chinese

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Translation vs. transliteration in converting brand names to Chinese".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:48
English
+ ...
This is a strange viewpoint Oct 10, 2011

Transliteration is, of course, not what is required. What is required is a branding strategy that works in the context. Sometimes it will be translation. Sometimes it will be transliteration. Sometimes it will be something else.

It’s not exactly a response, but I’ve written something about something like this four years ago. Personally I don’t touch branding because I don’t feel qualified to touch it, s
... See more
Transliteration is, of course, not what is required. What is required is a branding strategy that works in the context. Sometimes it will be translation. Sometimes it will be transliteration. Sometimes it will be something else.

It’s not exactly a response, but I’ve written something about something like this four years ago. Personally I don’t touch branding because I don’t feel qualified to touch it, so you probably want to take what I wrote with a grain of salt.
Collapse

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Chinese brand translations are always interesting, but are not really translations Oct 10, 2011

I always find it fascinating when in China to discover the ways that they manage to find some sort of brand name that loosely relates to the foreign pronunciation, but more importance is given to finding a way to make it say something cool in Chinese than in finding a way to copy the sound.

Carrefour may be the most well-known example: 家乐福,or jialefu, which means prosperous family or some such thing.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:48
English
+ ...
Carrefour Feb 9, 2012

家樂福 is actually quite an accurate approximation of the French sound, but not in Mandarin. (/ga1 lɔk6 fʊk1/ in Cantonese — the Carrefour brand initially landed in Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong.)

Anyway, as I’ve noted elsewhere, in Chinese most brands will try to “say something interesting”, because Chinese characters are not semantically neutral. So rather than just transliterate your name and hope for the best, it’s always desirable (from a marketing viewpoint) to p
... See more
家樂福 is actually quite an accurate approximation of the French sound, but not in Mandarin. (/ga1 lɔk6 fʊk1/ in Cantonese — the Carrefour brand initially landed in Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong.)

Anyway, as I’ve noted elsewhere, in Chinese most brands will try to “say something interesting”, because Chinese characters are not semantically neutral. So rather than just transliterate your name and hope for the best, it’s always desirable (from a marketing viewpoint) to proactively find a name with a nice meaning.

[Edited at 2012-02-09 18:11 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation vs. transliteration in converting brand names to Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »