101 things a translator needs to know but doesn’t necessarily think to ask

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "101 things a translator needs to know but doesn’t necessarily think to ask".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

manoj oza
manoj oza  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:13
English to Gujarati
+ ...
man-bag a hoy ! Apr 29, 2014

I want to discuss only one point on the inclusion of a term-man-bag.
When we talk about translation,we talk about words, its meanings-prima facie and inherent ,so the usage would go under the knife as the focus group loves to dissect.The phrase borrowed here of 'MAN-BAG'
from 'The Telegraph' falls sort of utility value which is the main barometer for a new phrase to be acceptedor should we say to be included in the OED !
Firstly, the original term-'hand bag' though widely see
... See more
I want to discuss only one point on the inclusion of a term-man-bag.
When we talk about translation,we talk about words, its meanings-prima facie and inherent ,so the usage would go under the knife as the focus group loves to dissect.The phrase borrowed here of 'MAN-BAG'
from 'The Telegraph' falls sort of utility value which is the main barometer for a new phrase to be acceptedor should we say to be included in the OED !
Firstly, the original term-'hand bag' though widely seen in the hands of ladies, is gender neutral. so no need for the coined term.
Secondly ,with utility bags having their own names like TOTE, RUCKSACK, LAPTOP BAG-the utility point does not define this term. At best it could be an ad gimmick in 'The Telegraph' to draw attention .like in the original write up, the author here has also succeeded in drawing the attention to the write up. Congrats on that count.!
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:43
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Murse Apr 29, 2014

was the word for it in the 90s (man-purse)

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703632504575549223859515064

AndersonT (X)
AndersonT (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
German to English
Seriously? Apr 30, 2014

I have to admit that the first thing that came to mind when I read "man-bag" was NSFW

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bag this... Apr 30, 2014

I must confess that "man-bag" strikes me as unnecessary and even vaguely obscene-sounding; it's not a lexical item I'd use lightly. But then again, I'm from Glasgow, where we sometimes like to dub things or people with irreverent epithets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

NB: I doubt that the use or "murse" (man+purse) ever really took off either. And don't get me sta
... See more
I must confess that "man-bag" strikes me as unnecessary and even vaguely obscene-sounding; it's not a lexical item I'd use lightly. But then again, I'm from Glasgow, where we sometimes like to dub things or people with irreverent epithets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

NB: I doubt that the use or "murse" (man+purse) ever really took off either. And don't get me started on "meggings"...
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stuff Every Good Translator Already Knows - thread from 2005 Apr 30, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/34263-stuff_every_good_translator_already_knows.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

101 things a translator needs to know but doesn’t necessarily think to ask

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »