United States
Local time: 04:51
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
Aug 27, 2008

Hello,

I recently purchased latest Wordfast. When I started to use I noticed
that there is a problem with my language code.

Here is the problem: Each time I choose a new TM, I set the language code provided by WF guide. For Somali it is (SO-01), so after I set the both source and target code and start the translation at the bottom of the document that I am translating, the target language shown is Serbian (Cyrillic, Serbia)not Somali,

I am not ab
... See more
Hello,

I recently purchased latest Wordfast. When I started to use I noticed
that there is a problem with my language code.

Here is the problem: Each time I choose a new TM, I set the language code provided by WF guide. For Somali it is (SO-01), so after I set the both source and target code and start the translation at the bottom of the document that I am translating, the target language shown is Serbian (Cyrillic, Serbia)not Somali,

I am not able to take advantage with the software.
Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there anyone with similar situation, may be in another language?

Many thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ibrâhîm ابراهيم
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:51
French to English
Contact the hotline Aug 27, 2008

That sounds like a bug to me. Since you purchased it recently, why not contact the Wordfast customer support hotline via the website?

Unless it has something to do with your language settings in Word? You might want to check that just in case.

Abraham Abukar
Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Somali language Code Aug 27, 2008

Hello,

Yes, I did contact the WF hotline; here is what they said,
"....It has been confirmed that Wordfast does not automatically convert the language code for Somali into Word's language code. This will be fixed in the future builds of Wordfast".

But, this does not help me, since I am not satisfied, I requested my money back.
And here is the reply I got.

"..."Buying a license means you have tried Wordfast on your system and are satisfied wit
... See more
Hello,

Yes, I did contact the WF hotline; here is what they said,
"....It has been confirmed that Wordfast does not automatically convert the language code for Somali into Word's language code. This will be fixed in the future builds of Wordfast".

But, this does not help me, since I am not satisfied, I requested my money back.
And here is the reply I got.

"..."Buying a license means you have tried Wordfast on your system and are satisfied with it. Specifications outlined in this website or in the manual are for information only. To maintain our low-price policy, note that we do not provide refunds."

I am aggravated!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why did you buy it if you didn't test it first? Aug 27, 2008

Abraham Abukar wrote:
I recently purchased latest Wordfast. When I started to use I noticed that there is a problem with my language code.

Was it not clear to you when you acquired Wordfast that you were supposed to try it first, see if it works, and only when you're satisfied that it work, only then should you purchase it?

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More importantly ... Aug 27, 2008

... does the Wordfast licence specifically state, unambiguously, that ...

Samuel Murray wrote:
... you were supposed to try it first, see if it works, and only when you're satisfied that it works, only then should you purchase it?

If it does, then you haven't a leg to stand on.

If it doesn't - take them to court! Your claim? - The product is not 'fit for purpose'.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2008-08-27 16:27]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A possible solution to your problem Aug 27, 2008

Abraham Abukar wrote:
Here is the problem: Each time I choose a new TM, I set the language code provided by WF guide. For Somali it is (SO-01), so after I set the both source and target code and start the translation at the bottom of the document that I am translating, the target language shown is Serbian (Cyrillic, Serbia) not Somali.

A. Create a new macro. In WordXP, it is like this:

1. Go Tools -> Macro -> Macros.
2. Type "DoSomali" in the Macro Name field, and press Create.
3. Paste the following line at the cursor position:

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("WfTarget").Range.LanguageID = wdSomali

4. Press the Save button, click the "X" and click "OK" when prompted

B. Add the macro to Wordfast, like this:

1. Click the WF "f" icon.
2. Go Setup -> PB.
3. In the text box, type this:

MacroPreSegmentation=DoSomali

(if there is already stuff in that field, put this text anywhere in it but make sure it is on its own line)

4. Close the WF control panel (and select to save it).

What this will do is to turn the language of the target field into Somali, regardless of what your TM is set up to be. Remember, to disable this feature at any time, simply change the item in PB from:

MacroPreSegmentation=DoSomali

to:

Macro_PreSegmentation=DoSomali

Let me know if this works.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It does say it Aug 27, 2008

mediamatrix wrote:
Does the Wordfast licence specifically state, unambiguously, that...?

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=agreement

Wordfast End User License Agreement (EULA)

Buying a license means you have tried Wordfast on your system and are satisfied with it. ... To maintain our low-price policy, note that we do not provide refunds.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
At least they plan to fix it Aug 27, 2008

Abraham Abukar wrote:

I am aggravated!

That's understandable, but it's too bad you purchased it before noticing the problem ... I would suggest that you be patient, new builds do come out on a regular basis, I feel confident that it will be fixed.

I hope Samuel's suggestion will help you in the meantime.

Abraham Abukar
United States
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Somali language Code Aug 28, 2008

Hello Samuel!

Thanks for your assistance, but unfortunately it did not work.
I even tried using different language codes as the target language, such as
SM-01 Samoan and SR-01 Serbian. After I set up and started the translation
both changed to EN-US,

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Somali spell checker Aug 28, 2008

Abraham Abukar wrote:
I even tried using different language codes as the target language, such as
SM-01 Samoan and SR-01 Serbian. After I set up and started the translation
both changed to EN-US.

Sorry, I just assumed that you had a Somali spell checker on your computer. What exactly is it that makes WF's inability to change the language code so bad? I assumed it was just spell checking that.

If so, can't you just set the target language as something like FR-FR, then disable spell-checking in MS Word, then do the translation, then at the end ,use Ctrl+comma to hide the source text, then select all and change the language to Somali, and do a normal spell-check on it, and at the end, do a quick clean without cleaning (so that the TM is updated but the document remains uncleaned)?

Abraham Abukar
United States
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Somali language Code Aug 28, 2008

I will do that. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Somali language Code

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »