Investir ou pas dans la création d'un site Internet ?
Thread poster: Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:29
English to French
+ ...
Jan 11, 2022

Bonjour,

Je m'interroge sur la nécessité d'investir dans la création d'un site Internet dédié à mon activité de traduction. Je suis souvent démarchée (Pages Jaunes/Solocal notamment) pour le faire. Leur tarif de base commence à 70 euros par mois. Est-ce rentable/incontournable pour la visibilité ? Ceux qui ont investi sont-ils satisfaits? J'ai déjà une page LinkedIn. Merci d'avance de vos retours.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Laurence Jan 11, 2022

Google Translate says Laurence Bourel wrote:
I wonder about the need to invest in the creation of a website dedicated to my translation activity. I am often started (Yellow Pages / Solocal in particular) to do it. The basic rate starts at 70 euros per month. Is this profitable / inescapable for visibility? Are those who invested are satisfied? I already have a LinkedIn page.

Your web site is nothing more than an online business card. It is a web page that shows your contact information and what services you offer. Optionally, you can add other information that you believe will impress clients and colleagues. With this in mind, the web site needs to look tidy and it must have its own domain name.

EUR 70 per month is very expensive for a basic web site. I suggest you go to Wordpress.com and get their cheapest package (EUR 50 per year for hosting plus EUR 15 per year for the .FR domain), and try to create a tidy-looking web site yourself. It's not difficult. If you want e-mail included, you may need to look for a cheap French company that sells domain + hosting + mail, such as Gandi.net (which I use myself).

Google Translate says Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I write the pages myself in HTML and CSS, but there are software to help those who do not master HTML tags. ... With a little bit of time, it's not too difficult to learn HTML...

I would not even bother with HTML. These days, there are sites that allow you to create a simple web site without even having to learn how to create web sites in offline programs and then upload the HTML pages to your host. This is ideal for a translator's web site, I believe, because it just needs to be clean and professional-looking, and not comprehensive and feature-rich.

The only downside of such systems is that it is very difficult (or impossible) to move your web site to another provider. You own the domain name, but if you want to move to a different host, you would have to recreate the web site.

[Edited at 2022-01-11 15:06 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
yinnyann

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:29
Danish to English
+ ...
Si on peut le faire soi-même Jan 11, 2022

Pages Jaunes sont chers. Mon serveur aux États-Unis me coute 72 euros par an, mais cela ne comprend pas la rédaction des pages.

J'ecris les pages moi-même en HTML et CSS, mais il existe des logiciels pour aider ceux qui ne maitrisent pas les balises HTML.

Il y a des clients qui m'ont trouvé sur mon site. Je le sais, comme j'affiche une adresse e-mail particulière sur le site. Pour 72 euros par an, ça vaut absolument la peine, mais je ne paierais pas 70 euros par m
... See more
Pages Jaunes sont chers. Mon serveur aux États-Unis me coute 72 euros par an, mais cela ne comprend pas la rédaction des pages.

J'ecris les pages moi-même en HTML et CSS, mais il existe des logiciels pour aider ceux qui ne maitrisent pas les balises HTML.

Il y a des clients qui m'ont trouvé sur mon site. Je le sais, comme j'affiche une adresse e-mail particulière sur le site. Pour 72 euros par an, ça vaut absolument la peine, mais je ne paierais pas 70 euros par mois. C'est ridicule.

Avec un petit peu de temps, ce n'est pas trop difficile d'apprendre le HTML, et comme ça, on comprend tout ce qu'il y a sur son propre site sans avoir à payer.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Robert Such
Robert Such  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
French to English
+ ...
It doesn’t have to cost that much Jan 11, 2022

Have a look at A2 Hosting for hosting, sav.com for your domain name, and WordPress for the website. I can recommend all of them.

[Edited at 2022-01-11 22:16 GMT]

expressisverbis
Inga Petkelyte

Laurence Bourel
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Jan 12, 2022

Thank you all for your reply. This confirms what I thought.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
1. LinkedIn 2. ProZ.com profile 3. Other 4. Website Jan 12, 2022

1. LinkedIn 2. ProZ.com profile 3. Other (profile on a translator association portal, possibly also a TC profile, at least three googleable service provider portal profiles) 4. Website

In that order of priority of getting your material right, and yes, I would say you need all four of 'em, not just the first three. However, I would steer clear of designing and programming your own website if you wish to make at least some money with it rather than just inform people that will buy fr
... See more
1. LinkedIn 2. ProZ.com profile 3. Other (profile on a translator association portal, possibly also a TC profile, at least three googleable service provider portal profiles) 4. Website

In that order of priority of getting your material right, and yes, I would say you need all four of 'em, not just the first three. However, I would steer clear of designing and programming your own website if you wish to make at least some money with it rather than just inform people that will buy from you anyway about yourself and your services. It is just too complicated. And yes, as a long-time Drupal user managing our third-party programmed website, I would also recommend WordPress, due to its ease of use and the rather trouble-free, smooth sailing over time, even though Drupal is the much more interesting CMS, contains a somewhat promising, rather easy-to-use translation management tool and provides a l a r g e amount of functionality all-round.

[Edited at 2022-01-12 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Inga Petkelyte

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Website, possibily overrated Jan 12, 2022

It is nice to have, of course. And a professional email address, on your own domain, certainly offers an additional level of confidence. It is not only that your address looks more professional, but your details can be verified in a public whois database (for who might be inclined to do so in these rather uncertain times).

Note: There are, of course, many colleagues who do very well with just a free email address.

On the other hand, for someone who mainly works with age
... See more
It is nice to have, of course. And a professional email address, on your own domain, certainly offers an additional level of confidence. It is not only that your address looks more professional, but your details can be verified in a public whois database (for who might be inclined to do so in these rather uncertain times).

Note: There are, of course, many colleagues who do very well with just a free email address.

On the other hand, for someone who mainly works with agencies, diligently exploiting the features this site offers (documented answers in KudoZ, well written postings in fora, quality information about professional background and past projects in the profile, etc.) might be everything you need.
Collapse

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau

Julie Zeisser
Julie Zeisser
France
English to French
+ ...
Il existe beaucoup moins cher Jan 13, 2022

Bonjour,

Je suis nouvelle ici et pas encore traductrice donc je n'ai pas vraiment d'opinion concernant la pertinence d'un site internet... J'imagine que ça dépend du public visé.

Par contre j'aimerais réagir sur la création de site elle-même, car 70€/mois me semble excessif au regard de l'offre qui existe (je n'ose parler d'arnaque, mais à ce niveau-là c'est profiter de la naïveté des gens) ! Je tenais donc à signaler qu'il existe une offre particulièremen
... See more
Bonjour,

Je suis nouvelle ici et pas encore traductrice donc je n'ai pas vraiment d'opinion concernant la pertinence d'un site internet... J'imagine que ça dépend du public visé.

Par contre j'aimerais réagir sur la création de site elle-même, car 70€/mois me semble excessif au regard de l'offre qui existe (je n'ose parler d'arnaque, mais à ce niveau-là c'est profiter de la naïveté des gens) ! Je tenais donc à signaler qu'il existe une offre particulièrement intéressante chez OVH : pour une vingtaine d'euros par an, vous pouvez bénéficier de l'hébergement d'un site Wordpress et de deux adresses mail, avec le nom de domaine inclus la première année. https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/hosting.xml Je suppose que cette information intéressera également d'autres personnes par ici...
Collapse

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
My experience of 16 years Jan 19, 2022

I invested 9000 EUR in my webite https://business-translator.com (written by a web designer and native speakers in my three languages) but it doesn't bring me any jobs. My best marketing medium is my ProZ profile.

Tom in London

Laurence Bourel
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 19, 2022

Thank you for all your comments

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Investir ou pas dans la création d'un site Internet ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »