Thread poster: Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:52
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2022

I do not check my email inbox all the time but open it only a few times during the day. Since many translators have to respond immediately when job offers are sent to their inbox, I would like to know what software you use to be instantly notified on your computer when a job offer is sent to you by email.

If you use a particular email program, is there a way to configure it to make notifications only when messages are received from a specified email address or website (e.g. from a t
... See more
I do not check my email inbox all the time but open it only a few times during the day. Since many translators have to respond immediately when job offers are sent to their inbox, I would like to know what software you use to be instantly notified on your computer when a job offer is sent to you by email.

If you use a particular email program, is there a way to configure it to make notifications only when messages are received from a specified email address or website (e.g. from a translation agency)?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
MacOS Jan 23, 2022

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

If you use a particular email program, is there a way to configure it to make notifications only when messages are received from a specified email address or website (e.g. from a translation agency)?

You can do this with Mail, which is part of the MacOS. You can configure it to filter incoming mail into any number of folders and subfolders, and to give you notification when anything comes into those folders (a sound, and/or bouncing the Mail icon). You can have a separate subfolder and a different sound notification for each client you work with.

You can filter other emails such as job notifications into another folder.

You can also set Mail to instantly delete annoying emails from senders that annoy you and you don't want to know about - so that you don't even see them - this is useful for those accidental subscriptions you made to things you didn't intend to subscribe to and can't unsubscribe.

[Edited at 2022-01-23 17:32 GMT]

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outlook Jan 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

You can do this with Mail, which is part of the MacOS. You can configure it to filter incoming mail into any number of folders and subfolders, and to give you notification when anything comes into those folders (a sound, and/or bouncing the Mail icon). You can have a separate subfolder and a different sound notification for each client you work with.

You can filter other emails such as job notifications into another folder.

You can also set Mail to instantly delete annoying emails from senders that annoy you and you don't want to know about - so that you don't even see them - this is useful for those accidental subscriptions you made to things you didn't intend to subscribe to and can't unsubscribe.

Thank you. I use Windows 10. Is Microsoft Outlook a good program to use for instant email notifications from specified email addresses? I have not yet set it up properly on my computer.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:52
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What "email inbox" precisely? Jan 23, 2022

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

I do not check my email inbox all the time

Vlad, you forgot to mention what email system you currently use: a web-based email client (coming with your email provider and managed in your web browser) or a stand-alone email client (like MS Outlook or Thunderbird etc.)?

[Bearbeitet am 2022-01-23 17:57 GMT]

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gmail Jan 23, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

I do not check my email inbox all the time

Vlad, you forgot to mention what email system you currently use: a web-based email client (coming with your email provider and managed in your web browser) or a stand-alone email client (like MS Outlook or Thunderbird etc.)?

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I use the Internet-based GMail service through the Opera browser. I have never used a stand-alone desktop email application.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Smartphone Jan 23, 2022

Computer is far too slow and too often out of reach.

Once you get a steady flow of offers, if they are first-click-gets-it stuff, you might need to figure out peak times during which you don't release your phone from your hand at all unless already working on something else.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I see Jan 23, 2022

Vlad Kotenko wrote:
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I use the Internet-based GMail service through the Opera browser.

Thank you for clarifying this. Then you should be able to google for solutions on how to connect your Gmail account with a POP3 email client of your choice for MS Windows, as this solution does:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en-GB

I hope, that helps.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-01-23 19:03 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to French
+ ...
Outlook: it is configurable Jan 23, 2022

Somehow, smartphone E-mail apps seem to check for messages on the mail server on a continuous basis. However, I don't know if there are Windows E-mail clients which can do the same.

WRT Outlook, that program can be configured to check messages on a time basis. For example, on my production machine, it is set to go look for messages every 30 minutes, so that I am not disturbed every few minutes by arriving messages. I don't remember what the default used to be, except it was much sho
... See more
Somehow, smartphone E-mail apps seem to check for messages on the mail server on a continuous basis. However, I don't know if there are Windows E-mail clients which can do the same.

WRT Outlook, that program can be configured to check messages on a time basis. For example, on my production machine, it is set to go look for messages every 30 minutes, so that I am not disturbed every few minutes by arriving messages. I don't remember what the default used to be, except it was much shorter. And, off hand, I don't know what the minimum interval is either.

Another option, with web-based E-mail systems such as Yahoo, G-mail, etc., is to leave your mailbox open in its own browser window/tab. As far as I know, there is some sort of notification sound whenever a message arrives. That would make instant notification possible.

J L

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

Thank you. I use Windows 10. Is Microsoft Outlook a good program to use for instant email notifications from specified email addresses? I have not yet set it up properly on my computer.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Vlad Jan 23, 2022

Here's what I do: I created an extra Gmail account specifically for checking it on my phone (Android). I then set my normal Gmail account to forward certain mails (with a certain subject line etc.) to my extra Gmail account. I then used K9 Mail on Android to log into that extra Gmail account. I set K9 Mail to give me notifications when a new mail arrives. But since it is an extra mail account, it won't compromise my normal Gmail account if my phone gets stolen.

There are also so
... See more
Here's what I do: I created an extra Gmail account specifically for checking it on my phone (Android). I then set my normal Gmail account to forward certain mails (with a certain subject line etc.) to my extra Gmail account. I then used K9 Mail on Android to log into that extra Gmail account. I set K9 Mail to give me notifications when a new mail arrives. But since it is an extra mail account, it won't compromise my normal Gmail account if my phone gets stolen.

There are also some "Gmail notifier" type programs that you can install. If you use such an app, you need to authorize it in Gmail because Gmail would consider it an insecure app and would normally block it from accessing Gmail.

There are also Gmail notification add-ons for Chrome (which should work in Opera).
Collapse

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
If you can, you might wish to give preference to IMAP Jan 23, 2022

These would be the settings for setting up your Gmail account in Outlook using the IMAP protocol:

See more
These would be the settings for setting up your Gmail account in Outlook using the IMAP protocol:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en-IN&ref_topic=7280141#zippy=,step-check-that-imap-is-turned-on,step-change-smtp-other-settings-in-your-email-client

[Edited at 2022-01-23 19:24 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:52
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Android Email VIP Jan 24, 2022

The Android Email app on my Samsung smartphone has a VIP setting by which I set certain email senders as "VIP", and give them a specific audible signal which sounds the moment an email comes in from VIP senders.

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notifications Jan 24, 2022

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can see that using an email notifier program can be a good way to be notified when messages are received only from specific senders. I will also have to learn whether Microsoft Outlook has this particular function.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instant Email Notifications

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »