a photo of your ID card to get registered on a translators' portal?
Thread poster: Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Feb 3, 2022

Dear translators! Something strange happened to me yesterday. A representative of a portal collecting translator profiles so these could be visible and accessible for direct customers and offering a variety of subscription packages to translators (seemed to be a greenfield, I never heard of them before), requested from me a photo of my ID card and university diploma to prove that all registered with them are linguists... University diploma is ok, but ID? Does not it look a little weird, does it?... See more
Dear translators! Something strange happened to me yesterday. A representative of a portal collecting translator profiles so these could be visible and accessible for direct customers and offering a variety of subscription packages to translators (seemed to be a greenfield, I never heard of them before), requested from me a photo of my ID card and university diploma to prove that all registered with them are linguists... University diploma is ok, but ID? Does not it look a little weird, does it? I am registered on multiple portals including PROZ, LinkedIn, IAPTI and other freelance portals, however none of those requested a copy of ID... Is it normal? Thank you for you feedback in advance, and wish you a wonderful rest of the day.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's up to you Feb 3, 2022

Zoe Rompou wrote:
Does not it look a little weird, does it?

Not really. But if you're concerned, you can create a scanned version of your ID in which everything except your name and face are blurred out. Will they be showing your ID to the public?

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a photo of your ID card to get registered on a translators' portal?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »