Thread poster: Verónica
Verónica
Verónica
Mexico
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2022

I am used to translate by our, and now I have my first proposal to translate for hours. Any idea how much the Spanish into English rate is per hour? I'm in mexico.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Verónica Feb 9, 2022

Verónica wrote:
I have my first proposal to translate for hours. Any idea how much the Spanish into English rate is per hour? I'm in Mexico.

The average rate that Spanish-English translators at ProZ.com claim to charge, is between USD 25 and USD 35 per hour.
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=esl&target_lang=eng&disc_spec_id=¤cy=usd&view_old_rates=1&submit=Submit

[Edited at 2022-02-09 18:01 GMT]

philgoddard

Verónica
Verónica
Mexico
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation spanish into english by hours Feb 9, 2022

Thank you Sammuel.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Unclear Feb 9, 2022

Sorry, Verónica. but you may want to clarify this.

You first state,

Verónica wrote:

I am used to translate by our (sic)

meaning, I presume, that you already offer translation services based on a per-hour fee.

But then, you add,

Verónica wrote:

now I have my first proposal to translate for hours. Any idea how much the Spanish into English rate is per hour?

Why are you asking a question to something you already know the answer to? I am confused.

Also, you confirm that the language pair is Spanish into English and not the other way round, given that you are a Spanish native?
If the former is the case, would the rate also have to include the editing of your translation by an English-native colleague, or would your client take care of that?

Thank you for elaborating on the above.

Adieu
Michele Fauble
Joshua Parker
expressisverbis
philgoddard

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Agreed, that question does not make sense Feb 9, 2022

Also, please don't mistake even vast experience translating FROM a language for any amount of proficiency in translating INTO that language.

It's not the same thing. I, for example, know full well that I am absolutely hopeless at translating into any of my source languages. I would be hard-pressed to write a perfect paragraph in Russian and might even fumble a single sentence in Ukrainian.

Unless you typed it on a mobile phone with a rarely-used and untrained autosugges
... See more
Also, please don't mistake even vast experience translating FROM a language for any amount of proficiency in translating INTO that language.

It's not the same thing. I, for example, know full well that I am absolutely hopeless at translating into any of my source languages. I would be hard-pressed to write a perfect paragraph in Russian and might even fumble a single sentence in Ukrainian.

Unless you typed it on a mobile phone with a rarely-used and untrained autosuggest feature without glasses, your post does not suggest that you are able to charge 35 dollars per hour for translations into English, especially in such a competitive market with so many native and near-native bilinguals as Spanish into English.

Again, this in no way suggests that you are lacking in translation skill in the other direction.

PS did you perhaps mean *interpreting* and surcharges for difficult lengthy sessions? Or price per hour of audio/video?

[Edited at 2022-02-09 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not sure... Feb 10, 2022

...what you mean, but if you mean what I think you meant to mean it's a simple calculation, provided you are not trying to raise your rates at the same time. How long does it take you to translate the type of text you are being offered? What is your normal rate per word? Do the math(s)! If you think it is a low per hour rate, then your rate per word is low, because the figure you arrive at is what you are charging at your current per word rate.

[Edited at 2022-02-10 08:24 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Feb 10, 2022

[Edited at 2022-02-10 08:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation spanish into english by hours

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »