Training sessions for new jobs - how long is appropriate?
Thread poster: Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:20
Member (2020)
English to German
Feb 17, 2022

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, do you guys sometimes have to attend online training sessions for new jobs, in case the client/agency wants to show you a tool or the system they are working with?

If so, what do you consider an appropriate duration for a training session?

I got an invitation from a new client who wants to host a training via zoom for the program they are working with and it should last "a couple of hours". Is that normal? And he already sent m
... See more
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, do you guys sometimes have to attend online training sessions for new jobs, in case the client/agency wants to show you a tool or the system they are working with?

If so, what do you consider an appropriate duration for a training session?

I got an invitation from a new client who wants to host a training via zoom for the program they are working with and it should last "a couple of hours". Is that normal? And he already sent me the training script. So I suppose this will be one of those redundant time-stealing dead-end meetings. How do I respond to that without being rude?

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-17 17:34 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Anna Feb 17, 2022

I could make time to follow an online training session offered by an actual client but I don’t think I’ll do it for a new client (whatever the length of the session) without being sure a job will really be offered. I heard of cases were after the online training session they try to sell their product…

Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Anna A. K.
Christine Andersen
Philip Lees
Vera Schoen
Philippe Etienne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ask for a recording Feb 17, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:
I got an invitation from a new client who wants to host a training via zoom for the program they are working with and it should last "a couple of hours". Is that normal?

You poor thing. Ask them for a recording. Otherwise, tell them no.

Anna A. K.
Philip Lees
Adieu
Philippe Etienne
Ester Vidal

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Feb 17, 2022

Ask them for a recording. Otherwise, tell them no.

And how should I justify saying no, should I tell them openly that the duration is too long otherwise?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Anna Feb 17, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:
And how should I justify saying no? Should I tell them openly that the duration is too long otherwise?

Yes, it's too long. Anything more than an hour of compulsory "training" should be paid for at your hourly rate. A recording can be longer than that -- but that's because you are able to watch the recording in your own time and at your own speed.

In the end, it depends on how desperate you are for work.

Christine Andersen
Korana Lasić
Philippe Etienne
Anna A. K.
Rachel Waddington
Angie Garbarino

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Reason for saying NO Feb 18, 2022

If there is a genuine offer of work and the tool is useful or essential for the job then it might be best to attend.

If you want to say no, you can cite a "scheduling conflict", since I'm assuming the reason you don't want to attend is that you could be working and earning during those 2 hours. I'm assuming the client is nt putting you on retainer, so they have no say over how you fill your time, and you could very well be working on another job for another client.

As s
... See more
If there is a genuine offer of work and the tool is useful or essential for the job then it might be best to attend.

If you want to say no, you can cite a "scheduling conflict", since I'm assuming the reason you don't want to attend is that you could be working and earning during those 2 hours. I'm assuming the client is nt putting you on retainer, so they have no say over how you fill your time, and you could very well be working on another job for another client.

As someone else already mentioned, if they have a transcript (and possibly also an audio/video recording) then ask for that and tell them you'll g through it in your own time.
Collapse

MollyRose

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
You don't have to... Feb 18, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

Ask them for a recording. Otherwise, tell them no.

And how should I justify saying no, should I tell them openly that the duration is too long otherwise?

You don't have to justify your actions. They are asking you, within the context of a professional relationship, to give up your time. You have to decide if it is worth your while. Do you think a steady stream of work hinges on you taking the course? Could the course content be useful in a wider context? Do you have a couple of hours to spare that you are prepared to "write off"?

A no could be the end of the relationship, or it could mean that you don't get to work on a particular project. Either way, you have to decide and live with the consequences of your decision, and the only justification you have to provide is to yourself.

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Philippe Etienne
Anna A. K.
Christine Andersen

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No training without ROI Feb 18, 2022

Whenever it is training that you wouldn't do in your spare time (hobby, fun, self-satisfaction).

Anna1307 wrote:
...the client/agency wants to show you a tool or the system they are working with?...

Before image and moving images became ubiquitous everywhere for no reason, it was common to use the instruction booklets, help files, user guides and software manuals provided to learn new skills. I've learned what I needed to know that way in a fraction of the time needed to watch mouse cursors moving about and clicking on buttons.

What are the odds that you will get significant periodic work from them? If you feel that offering two hours of your time is an investment that with pay itself and generate business in the short term, then why not.
But in two hours, you can also translate and earn money. Or get a break if you work a lot. Or look for customers if you don't work enough.

Time is invaluable and highly perishable. Make it work for you, not for others.

Philippe

Anna A. K.
Christine Andersen
Lingua 5B

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Matt Robinson Feb 18, 2022

Either way, you have to decide and live with the consequences of your decision, and the only justification you have to provide is to yourself.

Of course, you're right. I think it would be just fair to explain to them, what is on my mind, give them a comprehensible reason why it's not working for me so they have a chance to adjust.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-18 11:03 GMT]

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Philippe Feb 18, 2022

Time is invaluable and highly perishable. Make it work for you, not for others.

Touché

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Recording Feb 18, 2022

Justification: you can actually check it if you need the info later.

Anna A. K.

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Adieu Feb 18, 2022

Justification: you can actually check it if you need the info later.

Yes, makes sense.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Depends ... Feb 23, 2022

If this training is a 1-to-1 interactive session with a human trainer - meaning they "invest" as much as you do, then it's a no-brainer - do it.

It the "training" is just you being passively fed automated pre-recorded "instructions", while not being paid for your time, with only some vague prospects of actual work, my default position would be "send me the tape, I'll do it when I have time".

And I don't see why there would be ANY need to give any "excuses" for d
... See more
If this training is a 1-to-1 interactive session with a human trainer - meaning they "invest" as much as you do, then it's a no-brainer - do it.

It the "training" is just you being passively fed automated pre-recorded "instructions", while not being paid for your time, with only some vague prospects of actual work, my default position would be "send me the tape, I'll do it when I have time".

And I don't see why there would be ANY need to give any "excuses" for doing so. If you don't value your own time, don't expect the other side to do it for you.

[Edited at 2022-02-24 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Training sessions for new jobs - how long is appropriate?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »