Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
"This is only a 'potential' job" - your thoughts?
Thread poster: Tom in London
William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 08:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
the email for the next exchange for the same POTENTIAL client Mar 10, 2022

No, it's a translation project, not a novel actually. The tests have two parts, business and finance in contents.

So the tests you assembled are ongoing projects, right? If so, I will have to charge the tests. You know, it's not an easy job, esp. nowadays to survive in the business. And my quote is USD0.03 for MTPE projects.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Stay on the topic please Mar 10, 2022

William Yang wrote:

No, it's a translation project, not a novel actually. The tests have two parts, business and finance in contents.

So the tests you assembled are ongoing projects, right? If so, I will have to charge the tests. You know, it's not an easy job, esp. nowadays to survive in the business. And my quote is USD0.03 for MTPE projects.

Stay on the topic please

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 08:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What do you mean, Tom? We are talking about "potential job" Mar 10, 2022

Sure the POTENTIAL client agreed but have disappeared since then.
[quote]Tom in London wrote:

William Yang wrote:

Stay on the topic please

[Edited at 2022-03-10 13:53 GMT]

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 02:49
Italian to English
+ ...
I get this even from my existing agencies Mar 10, 2022

They tend to be the smaller agencies. Maybe they're bidding for jobs competitively somewhere out there.

I don't have a problem giving them my potential availability. The formula runs something like, "Right now, I'd be able to deliver on... (subject to confirmation.)"

On other occasions (here in Italy) it's because they have some big client who always wants to okay everything, even a 25 euro job, before committing (and the head honcho is out to lunch).

Christopher Schröder
Gerard de Noord
Paul Lambert
Anna Jaffe

Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:49
Japanese to German
+ ...
Why do agencies post so many "non-jobs" in that way? Mar 12, 2022

Agencies seeking to buy maximum competency at minimum cost will perpetually review their rooster of translators, moving down old and slotting in new ones with superior competency / cost profiles. What better way to obtain the required data than dangling “potential” jobs? The manpower required for these reviews is a fixed-cost element, making this screening-effort itself cost-neutral.

This situation is different from inquiries coming from by agencies with a transaction history, i
... See more
Agencies seeking to buy maximum competency at minimum cost will perpetually review their rooster of translators, moving down old and slotting in new ones with superior competency / cost profiles. What better way to obtain the required data than dangling “potential” jobs? The manpower required for these reviews is a fixed-cost element, making this screening-effort itself cost-neutral.

This situation is different from inquiries coming from by agencies with a transaction history, i.e., where I can trust they are not (knowingly) wasting my time.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If I am potentially interested, I answer briefly Mar 14, 2022

If the client takes the trouble to give enough details, and I can see that I would potentially be interested, I send a quick answer on the lines of ' I have time on Thursday (or whenever) and my rate for that kind of work is DKK xxx or GBP yyy or EURO zzz. Or I give an estimate of how long a larger job will take me, if that fits the scenario better.

It does not take many minutes, and it may put some clients off...

If the mail has obviously been sent to a lot of potentia
... See more
If the client takes the trouble to give enough details, and I can see that I would potentially be interested, I send a quick answer on the lines of ' I have time on Thursday (or whenever) and my rate for that kind of work is DKK xxx or GBP yyy or EURO zzz. Or I give an estimate of how long a larger job will take me, if that fits the scenario better.

It does not take many minutes, and it may put some clients off...

If the mail has obviously been sent to a lot of potential translators, and I am not interested, I ignore it.

I answered an enquiry today saying I never translate into Danish and don´t mess with MTPE ... because it was a client I know some colleagues actually work for, and they might have a more interesting job for me another time!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Michele Fauble

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"This is only a 'potential' job" - your thoughts?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »