Advice on accepting a long term job with a company not mentioned in the Blue Board (Filology)
Thread poster: Sandra Rodrigues
Sandra Rodrigues
Sandra Rodrigues
Portugal
Local time: 18:15
Member (2021)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 12, 2022

Dear colleagues,

I'd like your advice concerning a contact I received from a company who wrote me through Proz.com. I'm quite new here in terms of dealing with this type of situation. I don't find the company in the Blue Board and can only see it is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber. Apparently I can't find any information about the company (here and in google) and its site (www.filology.com) doesn't he
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'd like your advice concerning a contact I received from a company who wrote me through Proz.com. I'm quite new here in terms of dealing with this type of situation. I don't find the company in the Blue Board and can only see it is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber. Apparently I can't find any information about the company (here and in google) and its site (www.filology.com) doesn't help very much as well.
Basically, the person who contacted me wanted to know if I was interested in a high volume long term collaboration with them, my availability and rates considering a high volume of work (French into English patents translation). I am interested but don't want to take a high risk, so what is your advice? Has anyone heard about Filology? Is there a Blacklist of companies anywhere? If it were you, how much would yu reduce your minimal rates for a high volume collaboration?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Mar 12, 2022

The fact that the agency is called Filology with an F instead of a Ph makes me rather wary of it, then the site is sparse on information, has no contact details other than phone numbers, contains errors (Globlal Linguistic Services). In my opinion everything points to a scammer…

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
English to French
+ ...
under a different name Mar 12, 2022

I received the same letter.

I'm not worried about the initial "F". Using weird spelling of regular words to attract attention (and not have difficulties in trademarking it) has been a major trend in corporate names for several decades.

I'm more worried about the request "... your best rates for English to French (or French to English) patent translation given a long term cooperation agreement." right after the sentence "We have a patent translation project coming up in
... See more
I received the same letter.

I'm not worried about the initial "F". Using weird spelling of regular words to attract attention (and not have difficulties in trademarking it) has been a major trend in corporate names for several decades.

I'm more worried about the request "... your best rates for English to French (or French to English) patent translation given a long term cooperation agreement." right after the sentence "We have a patent translation project coming up in the English-French language pair." So, which is it?
In addition "project coming up" falls under "Please get back to me when you do have the project."

A (quick) web search shows NO business under this name in Boston.

The phone number lister under Contacts is the number of this business (https://www.swiftacclivity.com/). That web site looks like a boilerplate web site like the millions translation agencies claiming "We speak your language" and to have "Several thousand translators," or similar language. This matches spelling errors.

Other searches indicate yearly sales < $100,000.

For all practical purposes, Swift Acclivity is located at 43 Wolcott St, Malden, MA 02148, which is not in Boston proper, even though it is a near suburb of Boston.

J L
Collapse

Samuel Murray

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:15
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
IP address? Mar 12, 2022

Did you check the IP address (visible when you expand the email header in your email client) and does it coincide with the location stated by the agency in question? Or does the sender only use a gmail domain?

Yolanda Broad

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 01:15
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
we have to agree to fit everything into a plan before proceeding to execute so-called long projects Mar 13, 2022

you are talking about the preliminary homework and they are important.

[Edited at 2022-03-13 11:43 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Assume good faith Mar 13, 2022

But take precautions.

When starting a new business relation, it is just normal to do a few checks:

• website domain, use a whois service (looks good? anything deceiving?);

• email address (does it look like a professional address?);

• firm's details and business record (in most countries, there is a public database where a firm's name, registration number etc. can be interrogated; some information is free to access, for further informatio
... See more
But take precautions.

When starting a new business relation, it is just normal to do a few checks:

• website domain, use a whois service (looks good? anything deceiving?);

• email address (does it look like a professional address?);

• firm's details and business record (in most countries, there is a public database where a firm's name, registration number etc. can be interrogated; some information is free to access, for further information some fee might be charged).

Are you confident the offer is genuine, even before doing any checks? Because if you're not, most often than not it is a waste of time to pursue it.

[Edited at 2022-03-13 11:59 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Link that might help (in Romanian) Mar 13, 2022

Some time ago I wrote a few ideas for my Romanian fellows. The links might be helpful for anyone (the second, only if the company is based in Belgium).

https://www.proz.com/forum/romanian/336188-situații_dificile_și_rezolvări.html#2807782

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please create a Blue Board record, when there isn't one Mar 13, 2022

You can create a Blue Board record even if you don't have complete contact information. Once you've done that, you should be able to get feedback from other ProZ users.

Christel Zipfel

Sandra Rodrigues
Sandra Rodrigues
Portugal
Member (2021)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Mar 14, 2022

Thanks a lot to everyone who gave me their opinion and advice!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'd be wary Mar 14, 2022

A company that doesn't give a full address on their contact page?

[Edited at 2022-03-14 11:54 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on accepting a long term job with a company not mentioned in the Blue Board (Filology)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »