Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is ProZ deliberately skewing Blue Board feedback in favour of agencies?
Thread poster: Anton Konashenok
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:23
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interesting. Mar 15, 2022

Vanda Nissen wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

Why would an agency lose business because of low ratings on Proz? Do their end clients check them out on (or even visit) Proz? I thought Blueboard was only for translators. I mean, if you give them a low rating on Google reviews or Glassdoor, that's understandable, but Proz?

That is what they told Proz.com. I do not know and to be perfectly honest, I could not care less why they wanted to remove it, the important thing here was that it was ME who had to present all the evidence decades later, not the other way around.

One time an agency didn’t pay me, but claimed to ProZ they did. I told ProZ to ask the agency to provide evidence. The agency did (sending evidence, but there was supposed to be a reception evidence which they could not provide because the payment did not reach me). Which easily proved to ProZ they did not pay me. They made a technical error and had to resend to a different account but resending was costly to them and they wanted to play dumb.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:23
German to Turkish
+ ...
Because translators are also a part of their business... Mar 15, 2022

Agencies are brokers. Basically, they buy a service from the translators and sell it forward. When translators do not want to collaborate, they cannot buy the service or, at least, they pay more than they would like to.
Buying a translation for 0.01 USD per word, paying the sum (if ever) 60 days later and selling the same translation for over 0.25 USD pw is good business.

Elif

Baran Keki wrote:

Vanda Nissen wrote:
they claimed they were losing business because of my entry but still, Proz.com immediately believed their allegations.

Why would an agency lose business because of low ratings on Proz? Do their end clients check them out on (or even visit) Proz? I thought Blueboard was only for translators. I mean, if you give them a low rating on Google reviews or Glassdoor, that's understandable, but Proz?

Baran Keki
Vanda Nissen

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:23
English to Turkish
Interesting perspective Mar 15, 2022

Elif Baykara Narbay wrote:

Agencies are brokers. Basically, they buy a service from the translators and sell it forward. When translators do not want to collaborate, they cannot buy the service or, at least, they pay more than they would like to.
Buying a translation for 0.01 USD per word, paying the sum (if ever) 60 days later and selling the same translation for over 0.25 USD pw is good business.

It didn't occur to me to think of it this way. Then, from this point of view, paying translators a pittance or not paying them at all is bad for business as far as the agencies are concerned?
When Vanda Nissen said "the agency was losing business because of her entry" I thought the end clients of that agency were actually logging into Proz to check the BB records to see if that agency was worth doing business with (based on translators' feedback, no less), which I found strange and highly unlikely. I doubt any of those end clients even know the existence of a website called Proz.
But a Google review (usually made by an end client) is what you see/find immediately when you check a company out on Google.

Vanda Nissen

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:23
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Miss the good old days Mar 20, 2022

I miss the good old days, when you were allowed to comment "Please write to me for further details" and giving a "1" rate to outsourcers you worked with.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is ProZ deliberately skewing Blue Board feedback in favour of agencies?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »