Thinking about moving to Chile. Any information about the Chilean market?
Thread poster: Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:01
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2022

Hi, everybody

Due to family reasons, I'm considering moving from Argentina to Chile. Is there any colleague working in the Chilean market that can give me some insight about the situation there? My pairs are EnglishSpanish, Portuguese>Spanish.
Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance

Rodrigo Bovino
Rodrigo Bovino  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Used to be awesome Apr 8, 2022

Chile now is being destroyed by the left wing party and the coast (fish and more) are being eaten by China.

Still it is a first world country but in Latin America.

Paraguay is the best option in Latin America.

Cheers from Brazil

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation market in particular - Chile Apr 8, 2022

Rodrigo Bovino wrote:

Chile now is being destroyed by the left wing party and the coast (fish and more) are being eaten by China.

Paraguay is the best option in Latin America.

Cheers from Brazil

I understand. The thing is I live in Argentina (practically any country is economically better in LatAm right now) so almost anything is an upgrade. But the most important aspect, I have my children living there. If I migrate, the reason behind are my children. So my question is related specifically to the translation Chilean market (or at least, the labor market in general). I'm trying to collect some hard facts to get ready...

[Edited at 2022-04-08 10:54 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Valeria Apr 8, 2022

I don’t know if my experience can be useful to you. After 30 years in Brussels I’ve moved from Belgium to Portugal (my home country) 7 years ago for family reasons and I “brought” all my customers with me. Fortunately, we have a job that allows us to keep on working with the same clients (and with new ones) when we relocate (whatever the country and the market). Good luck!

Emanuele Vacca
Christel Zipfel
Jennifer Levey

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
differences Apr 8, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I don’t know if my experience can be useful to you. After 30 years in Brussels I’ve moved from Belgium to Portugal (my home country) 7 years ago for family reasons and I “brought” all my customers with me. Fortunately, we have a job that allows us to keep on working with the same clients (and with new ones) when we relocate (whatever the country and the market). Good luck!

Dear Teresa

Unfortunately, this is not possible between these two countries due to invoicing, payment restrictions and unfavorable exchange rate differences, this is the reason I'm asking. I will have to sort of... start over there. I can only keep the agencies not located in Argentina. But I would lose my Argentine clients

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:01
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Spanish forum Apr 8, 2022

I suggest you to ask in the Spanish forum, I follow it and I read quite a few of Chilean colleagues posting there.

Valeria Verona
Jorge Payan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 8, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I suggest you to ask in the Spanish forum, I follow it and I read quite a few of Chilean colleagues posting there.

Yes, maybe you are right. I will. Thanks!

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 09:01
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not quite Apr 8, 2022

Rodrigo Bovino wrote:

Cheers from Brazil

If Chile is a first-world country then El Salvador is a first-world country too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thinking about moving to Chile. Any information about the Chilean market?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »