Thread poster: William Yang
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Being taken advantage Apr 23, 2022

I think we should refrain from the snarky posts.

Jennifer Levey
Dan Lucas
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:49
English to Turkish
Funny you should say that Apr 24, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

I think we should refrain from the snarky posts.

Why, I've been enjoying your snarky posts over the years.

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:49
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Now now, Baran Apr 24, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Why, I've been enjoying your snarky posts over the years.

Don't be alkaline. You know that basic is the way to go.

Baran Keki
Lingua 5B
Jan Truper
texjax DDS PhD
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
This thread. Apr 24, 2022

This thread is a promising one.

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
texjax DDS PhD
Tretyak

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
D-Day Apr 24, 2022

William, did I get you right that your agency in question evaluates their translators by a scale ranging from A to D? And they communicate it every time to you when you delivered a piece of your work? In an ideal world, this could be an acceptable approach, to improve yourself, as in class. But I always would be wary of who exactly evaluates me and for what reason. Spelling errors are not acceptable, no doubt about it. Pointing to mistranslations, because you are not comfortable with the subject... See more
William, did I get you right that your agency in question evaluates their translators by a scale ranging from A to D? And they communicate it every time to you when you delivered a piece of your work? In an ideal world, this could be an acceptable approach, to improve yourself, as in class. But I always would be wary of who exactly evaluates me and for what reason. Spelling errors are not acceptable, no doubt about it. Pointing to mistranslations, because you are not comfortable with the subject at all, can be a hint to avoid those jobs in the future. But when it comes to style and preferred terms or expressions, I would always ask myself, whether my translation wasn't evaluated by fellow translators, who are only eager to take my position. Ask your client, whether they evaluate their vendors anonymously by not disclosing your name to the evaluator. And when you are satisfied with the solutions you delivered for some good reasons but there is no other chance yet to avoid that agency and when you have enough time to do so, then give them a fight and defend your text, or at least spread some doubts, whether the reviewer only uses synonyms or his/her own personally preferred solutions just to make him/herself interesting to the agency. And try to find other clients.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-24 08:08 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:49
English to Turkish
Yes Apr 24, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:
But when it comes to style and preferred terms or expressions, I would always ask myself, whether my translation wasn't evaluated by fellow translators, who are only eager to take my position.

Especially when they have replaced every word with its synonym to make a sea of track changes for the PM's benefit. But in your case, the chances of a PM knowing 'ein bisschen Deutsch' is far more likely than their having any notion of Chinese or Turkish, so you can actually make a case for yourself, pointing out the absurdities they've introduced.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Many PMs ... Apr 24, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

But in your case, the chances of a PM knowing 'ein bisschen Deutsch' is far more likely than their having any notion of Chinese or Turkish

... I had to deal with in the past don't care, don't know the subjects or have too much other work to do (e.g. reading posts on proz.com), while other non-native PMs think, they know German better than I do (and finally fail). My point to William was, that he has to get used to the fact, that many of us are working in a toxic environment today.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-24 10:51 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
William? Apr 24, 2022

... any reaction? Thanks.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
don't feel painful Apr 24, 2022

This thread should not be used to make gratuitous ad hominem attacks on other translators and their perceived insufficiencies. E.g. "Would you use this translator?".

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Kevin Fulton
Jianrong Sun
Vera Schoen
P.L.F. Persio
Charles Peng

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 23:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just read your posts Apr 25, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... any reaction? Thanks.

I have things to do, so as I said, I leave the topic.

I brought up this topic because I wanted to share feelings with those beginners not referring to any particular agency. It's not easy to start a business and we have to overcome many difficulties, which we have to solve on our own, esp. in the context of a global complexity. Proz gives an option.

Thank you for my friends here to offer your thoughts and let's stop here.

[Edited at 2022-04-25 01:28 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good luck... Apr 25, 2022

William Yang wrote:

I brought up this topic because I wanted to share feelings with those beginners not referring to any particular agency. It's not easy to start a business and we have to overcome many difficulties, which we have to solve on our own, esp. in the context of a global complexity. Proz gives an option.

... and feel free to share again the experiences you make in the future. And simply ignore any toxic comments made by the usual suspects (like me).

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 23:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's fair Apr 25, 2022

I have my own. Thanks Matthias.

Matthias Brombach wrote:

William Yang wrote:

... and feel free to share again the experiences you make in the future. And simply ignore any toxic comments made by the usual suspects (like me).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't feel painiful when you're taken advantage of

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »