Certification of translation in the UK
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
German to English
Apr 24, 2022

What credentials are required to certify a translation for the benefit of UK government authorities?

Do you have to, e.g., be a member of the Institute of Linguists?

Or is possession of a qualification like the DipTrans sufficient?

In my experience the UK is far less stringent than, say, France.

Joe France
Joe France  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Being a qualified professional suffices Apr 24, 2022

As you noted, Andy, the requirements in the UK are less stringent - or just straight-up vague/non-existent. Unless the body/authority in question has specified criteria/requirements for translations, I think you should be fine to follow the UK government's guidelines: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

"Certifying a translation
If you need to certify a translation of a do
... See more
As you noted, Andy, the requirements in the UK are less stringent - or just straight-up vague/non-existent. Unless the body/authority in question has specified criteria/requirements for translations, I think you should be fine to follow the UK government's guidelines: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

"Certifying a translation
If you need to certify a translation of a document that’s not written in English or Welsh, ask the translation company to confirm in writing on the translation:

- that it’s a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’
- the date of the translation
- the full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company"

I would normally add a note or cover page or something similar, outlining the above, and then with my name - with qualifications listed after my name. I've never had any issues with this. I don't think you need to be a member of the ITI/CIoL, but it can't hurt to list those credentials if you have them.
Collapse

Andy S
Vadim Kadyrov
philgoddard
Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gov.uk section useful Apr 24, 2022

Thanks Joe, especially for hunting down the relevant section of the gov.uk website.

It confirms what I thought and what I have akways done.

Joe France

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I've worked for public-sector clients in the UK and US Apr 27, 2022

... and in my experience they just want something official looking, with a couple of letters after your name and how many years' experience you have. That's probably true of most countries.

Jorge Payan

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A Chartered Linguist can add a seal Apr 28, 2022

Members of the CIoL and ITI can become Chartered Linguists, which means they have gone through an extra process. In my case it meant updating my qualifications after years of membership. Chartered Linguists are committed to Continuing Professional Development and can add a seal (basically a sticker) with their registered number.
So are all members in principle - but the seal looks a little m
... See more
Members of the CIoL and ITI can become Chartered Linguists, which means they have gone through an extra process. In my case it meant updating my qualifications after years of membership. Chartered Linguists are committed to Continuing Professional Development and can add a seal (basically a sticker) with their registered number.
So are all members in principle - but the seal looks a little more official.

https://www.ciol.org.uk/cl-benefits
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My word is my bond Apr 28, 2022

It's reassuring to know that in the UK, that principle still applies.

Christopher Schröder
Ryan Shevlane
Christine Andersen
Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification of translation in the UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »