Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 16, 2022

I was offered a dream job today. Do as much as you want, when you want. No deadlines. Huge volume. Quality isn't important. Just miss out anything you find difficult. What's not to like?

We have a large SV > EN translation project and we are wondering if you would be interested in joining our team. The total wordcount exceeds 2 million words.

The text is general and there are no requirements for the wordcount you can provide us with. You can work when it suits you and you will be paid for the wordcount you complete. Also, you will have the possibility to skip any string that you may see difficult or time consuming. That string will be passed to another linguist.

There are no high demands on quality. 80% counted as pass. The only requirement is not to use any Machine Translation software/tool (ex. Google Translate etc). The translation must be 100% human translation.

Rate: 0.05 USD
Deadline: No requirements

But wait...

Do they mean only 80% of segments need to be correct, or only 80% of each segment needs to be correct? Which would be more profitable for me?

And is the five cents per word, per string or for the whole 2 million words?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 20:59
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Aliens. May 16, 2022

If you are an alien, you can’t do this. It requires humans to do the work.

Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:59
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Rubbish always goes to the bin" May 16, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

The text is general and there are no requirements for the wordcount you can provide us with. You can work when it suits you and you will be paid for the wordcount you complete. Also, you will have the possibility to skip any string that you may see difficult or time consuming. That string will be passed to another linguist.

There are no high demands on quality. 80% counted as pass. The only requirement is not to use any Machine Translation software/tool (ex. Google Translate etc). The translation must be 100% human translation.

Rate: 0.05 USD
Deadline: No requirements

I would send it immediately to the bin and I wouldn't waste my time with that 80%. I don't believe in those "dream jobs", I believe in good professionals and clients who are willing to pay your own rates.
That's what happens when you need to use any other services. Do you set a rate to your dentist? No, of course not.
I still don't understand why some translators "have to work" according to the low rates of some translation companies. It can be humiliating; in case those companies didn't realise it yet.
Also, straight to the point is always preferred when doing business.

Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
1% May 16, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
Do they mean only 80% of segments need to be correct, or only 80% of each segment needs to be correct?

Even the Hells Angels claim that only 1% of all moto cyclists are "bad" or even criminals, but to what gang do those belong to who already make sure right from the beginning that 20% of the stuff they sell to their end clients is supposed to be crap? Is it at least some red light stuff they want to have translated? Chris, tell us more about your Scandinavian friends! Watch out when they want 81% needs to be correct. You know what "81" stands for, don't you?

Christopher Schröder

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
"80" quality May 17, 2022

Really, would a professional, experienced, qualified translator want to work for a company on a project for which "quality is not important"? Also, the parameters are so fluid and undefined that I think you would end up with very little money. A dream job could turn into a nightmare.

Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Seriously... May 17, 2022

...they just want you to write the basic grammar structure of the texts, e.g., correct grammar, tenses and verbs and/or terms that approximately reflect the source. They simply will or cannot afford to pay for background knowledge or for a DeepL subscription. Afterward, they will send your text to a person with more background to "proofread" for max. 30 % of their "normal" tariff.

Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What is "80% quality"? May 17, 2022

80% quality = 100% rubbish!

[Edited at 2022-05-17 09:25 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Some thoughts May 17, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Do they mean only 80% of segments need to be correct, or only 80% of each segment needs to be correct? Which would be more profitable for me?

Either way, your total score is 80%. You're overthinking this, Chris! Because somehow, I get the feeling they don't much care about such niceties. I'll come back to profitability in a moment...

Lingua 5B wrote:

If you are an alien, you can’t do this. It requires humans to do the work.

Shucks, that rules me out, then...

Ice Scream wrote:

The only requirement is not to use any Machine Translation software/tool (ex. Google Translate etc).

Yes, because then we'd have machines training a machine to translate like... a machine!

Ice Scream wrote:

And is the five cents per word, per string or for the whole 2 million words?

Definitely the whole 2 million words. I mean, come on... they're only expecting 80% accuracy, you can skip bits you don't like and there's no deadline, what more do you want?! Who pays $0.05 per word for a translation nowadays?! So to come back to your question about 80% and profitability, it makes no difference. $0.05 is $0.05. Don't spend it all at once!

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Food for thought May 17, 2022

Rest assured I passed on this job but I see now it is an established thing called Isaac which is not always a scam, and if we do the math(s), spending 10-15% as much time for 20-25% of my normal rate would actually be much more profitable than my Scandi direct clients, and with none of the responsibility.

Plus I get to help MT and the Chinese take over the world. Win-win.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Plus... May 18, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Rest assured I passed on this job but I see now it is an established thing called Isaac which is not always a scam, and if we do the math(s), spending 10-15% as much time for 20-25% of my normal rate would actually be much more profitable than my Scandi direct clients, and with none of the responsibility.

Plus I get to help MT and the Chinese take over the world. Win-win.

...I remember one of your posts where you didn't mind working for less since your children no longer grab their pocket money from you, your mortgages have been paid, and most Chinese restaurants offer cheaper meals for the elderly*.

* although with fewer potatoes and with only one sausage left here in Germany.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "80% quality"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »