Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Charging a minimum fee, is it worth the effort?
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Minimum fee Jun 23, 2022

I charge a minimum fee for small jobs, which is a little less than my hourly rate, unless it is from a regular client or it comes together with a larger job. Then I may charge half my hourly rate or by word count depending on the document.

Since I translate a lot of diplomas and documents with tables, I charge my full hourly rate for those, even though the client may object and say "yes, but there are only xx words in it". Then I explain that it is not the words but the formatting
... See more
I charge a minimum fee for small jobs, which is a little less than my hourly rate, unless it is from a regular client or it comes together with a larger job. Then I may charge half my hourly rate or by word count depending on the document.

Since I translate a lot of diplomas and documents with tables, I charge my full hourly rate for those, even though the client may object and say "yes, but there are only xx words in it". Then I explain that it is not the words but the formatting that takes the most time.

Even for small jobs, you still have all the expenses of hardware, power supply, membership in professional organizations, and courses you took to acquire the expertise to do the job. That needs to be reflected somehow in all jobs.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:52
Italian to English
Can you afford not to? Jun 24, 2022

Is it worth the effort? I don't see how anyone who values their professional time can afford NOT to have a minimum fee.

Adieu
writeaway
Christel Zipfel
polishedwords
Christine Andersen
Michele Fauble
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:52
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a compromise solution Jun 24, 2022

Thank all for your valuable help!
I have decided to take a gradual approach, keeping the minimum rate of 0,5 hours for jobs with less than 100 words, while applying the hourly rate to jobs with more than 100 words (both for the regular clients). I am sure the process won't be smooth (I think PMs will "forget" about this), but it's an improvement anyway

[Edited at 2022-06-24 13:56 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging a minimum fee, is it worth the effort?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »