Thread poster: Alexander Smirnow
Alexander Smirnow
Alexander Smirnow  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
Jun 28, 2022

Hello,

Recently I've been contacted by a Chinese agency that asks... quite a lot of my personal information, including ID card/passport number, etc. Thus, I want to make it clear (at least for myself) once and for all:

What's the average list of information for a translator to give to a new client? Which ones you should NEVER give to anyone and which ones are safe?

Specifically, lately most of my new clients are asking for my MAIN (explicitly) phone number
... See more
Hello,

Recently I've been contacted by a Chinese agency that asks... quite a lot of my personal information, including ID card/passport number, etc. Thus, I want to make it clear (at least for myself) once and for all:

What's the average list of information for a translator to give to a new client? Which ones you should NEVER give to anyone and which ones are safe?

Specifically, lately most of my new clients are asking for my MAIN (explicitly) phone number. Can it be used for any sort of bank info shenanigans?

Thanks, and best wishes,

Alex
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:52
English to Thai
+ ...
My PDPA law Jun 28, 2022

My country starts enforcement on personal data protection. Now this topic is very sensitive.
I personally offer info sparingly unless clients are sure to pay me huge amounts. Jobs contact with improbable orders will get few info.
Beware that now digital flaws have various tactics.

Regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

Walter Landesman

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alexander Jun 28, 2022

Alexander Smirnow wrote:
Recently I've been contacted by a Chinese agency that asks... quite a lot of my personal information, including ID card/passport number, etc.

While providing one's ID number is normal in some countries (e.g. in South Africa we don't think twice about it), one might ask what one would be able to do with that information. Can the agency use your ID number to verify your identity? If not, then I feel there is no need to give it to them.

Walter Landesman
Alexander Smirnow

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 28, 2022

I have never given anything more than my business address, phone number, email address and bank account number for them to transfer payment to me.
In France we are required to supply certificates to show that we're up to date on all tax payments too.
They have zero need for anything else. I suppose they might like to see my diploma. I have sent a pdf of that maybe a couple of times, but I don't think I actually worked for the people who wanted it.

Barbara Carrara
Walter Landesman
Tina Vonhof (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Jun 28, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Alexander Smirnow wrote:
Recently I've been contacted by a Chinese agency that asks... quite a lot of my personal information, including ID card/passport number, etc.

While providing one's ID number is normal in some countries (e.g. in South Africa we don't think twice about it), one might ask what one would be able to do with that information. Can the agency use your ID number to verify your identity? If not, then I feel there is no need to give it to them.

That’s what happens in Portugal also. We have no qualms producing our ID card. The new one (a smart card with an integrated chip), known as Cartão do Cidadão (Citizen’s Card), is multipurpose as it replaces 5 different physical ID documents: Civil identification card, Taxation card, Voting card, Social security card and Healthcare card.

Alexander Smirnow
Alexander Smirnow  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
China Taxation Bureau Jun 28, 2022

Thank you for your replies = )

This particular client said that this info provision is "due to the China Taxation Bureau mandatory requirement". Any translators here who worked with Chinese agencies can confirm that this requirement is legit?

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Chinese taxation requirements? Jun 28, 2022

I regularly co-operate with some Chinese companies in China and I have never ever sent my ID or passport copies and they have not even asked for it at any point of our well established co-operation. Besides you are not subject to Chinese taxation if you do not live there.

Laurent Mercky
Jorge Payan

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Say No Jun 28, 2022

Alexander Smirnow wrote:

Hello,

Specifically, lately most of my new clients are asking for my MAIN (explicitly) phone number. Can it be used for any sort of bank info shenanigans?

Thanks, and best wishes,

Alex

Such situation is still very unusual, even for Chinese agencies.
I have been working for clients in China for past 20 years and none of them has requested such information.
All what they will ask is the paypal or bank account name/number for transfering your translation payment.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Personal information Jun 29, 2022

Some agencies want a photograph and your age. It is really none of their b...... business. Most likely they want to find out what race you are and if you are "competent". I recently applied for a translator job with a brokerage. One of their questions was "What is your sexual orientation?" To which I replied: "You wanna find out?!"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's personal information

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »