Dércio Bene
Dércio Bene  Identity Verified
Mozambique
Local time: 07:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 14, 2022

Hello everyone,
I own a small, local translation agency and I'm new to the translation business. A client has recently requested a translation of 3 documents as part of a visa application to an embassy from English to German to be submitted to a German embassy. I outsourced this job to someone else online, a certified translator with very good reviews, but residing in another country. I'm wondering if you guys have experience with this sort of thing and if the embassy could reject the tran
... See more
Hello everyone,
I own a small, local translation agency and I'm new to the translation business. A client has recently requested a translation of 3 documents as part of a visa application to an embassy from English to German to be submitted to a German embassy. I outsourced this job to someone else online, a certified translator with very good reviews, but residing in another country. I'm wondering if you guys have experience with this sort of thing and if the embassy could reject the translation because of it having been done abroad and without being notarized by someone local. If you have any experience, please let me know what I could do to prevent the embassy from rejecting the translation.

With regards,
Dércio Bene
Collapse

finnword1
Indra Indra

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
(Crossposted) Aug 15, 2022

Crossposted here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/legal/358606-official_translation_of_documents_for_an_embassy.html

Sebastian Witte

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dércio Aug 15, 2022

There are no set regulations regarding sworn or certified translations. The requirements depend on the country in which the documents will be used. So, in my opinion, the best thing is to ask the Embassy of the country where the documents will be used (Germany, Austria?).

expressisverbis

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
German authorities Aug 15, 2022

Experience has shown that German authorities only accept translations from translators sworn in Germany. Asking the German embassy is an excellent idea.

expressisverbis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Isn't that something Aug 22, 2022

that should've been checked FIRST?

The only relevant source of information is the Embassy where these documents are going to be submitted.

If they have some requirements that you can't fulfil (like accepting translations ONLY from translators THEY approved, and yours is not one of them), you will have painted yourself in a corner.

Hopefully not.

[Edited at 2022-08-22 06:00 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

AllegroTrans
AllegroTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Always ask the client Aug 27, 2022

Some translation agencies can be pretty vague about this sort of thing. What I would always do, other than your own research (most embassies and government authorities etc. have details online) is to get the client to tell you EXACTLY what is the certification requirement and then tell ypu them your proposal ans ask them to check this with their end client before you start on the assignment. Get their response in writing and re-confirm. This may well take time but if should avoid misunderstandin... See more
Some translation agencies can be pretty vague about this sort of thing. What I would always do, other than your own research (most embassies and government authorities etc. have details online) is to get the client to tell you EXACTLY what is the certification requirement and then tell ypu them your proposal ans ask them to check this with their end client before you start on the assignment. Get their response in writing and re-confirm. This may well take time but if should avoid misunderstanding and the risk of getting it all wrong.Collapse

Indra Indra
Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of documents for a visa application

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »