Glitch in agency's translation platform?
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2022

Greetings all,

For a few years, I've been working for an agency that uses a web-based translation platform. Not mentioning names in case this is forbidden. It's pleasant enough to use (and I hate working with platforms), but this year, every now and again, I get a schoolmistressy notification that I have made errors when I'm pretty sure I didn't, or that a whole bunch of segments somehow missed my checks. Once, after accepting and paying for the translation, the client complained to
... See more
Greetings all,

For a few years, I've been working for an agency that uses a web-based translation platform. Not mentioning names in case this is forbidden. It's pleasant enough to use (and I hate working with platforms), but this year, every now and again, I get a schoolmistressy notification that I have made errors when I'm pretty sure I didn't, or that a whole bunch of segments somehow missed my checks. Once, after accepting and paying for the translation, the client complained to the PM about errors in a segment, but then I couldn't find that segment in the document supplied as proof. And the quoted errors were so obvious that I couldn't have missed them.

Most recently I was sent an automated message about a "mistranslation or lack thereof" that read "PISTE => TRACK”, where PISTE was the word to be translated. I most certainly did not write 'TRACK'. A query to the support team revealed that 'TRACK' does not appear in my translation. They did not respond to my question about how and why.

In these odd cases, I explain my side of the issue, but get no response. One time the PM said that I didn't have to worry about it, but then that complaint appeared in a list of others that which served as a 'warning' that I would be let go if errors kept occurring. Naturally, I'm seriously considering leaving them first, but first I need to satisfy my curiosity and am still trying to get answers out of them. I take the lack of response to be an admission of guilt, but could be wrong.

My question is, have any of you experienced similar strange errors on translation platforms?
If so, what was the cause and solution?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Any sign they're splitting jobs into smaller jobs? Oct 20, 2022

Perhaps they split up a job between translators, stitched it back together once done, and sent collective feedback to all involved (or one random person from the list) instead of the specific person who did that segment?

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jennifer Oct 21, 2022

I'm so sorry for your experience! All the more reason why I avoid translation platforms like the plague. I’m looking to make my life easier not the other way around…

Emanuele Vacca

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Oct 21, 2022

Not on translation platforms, no!

But, one shady company, that I've later come to realize were having a constant employee turnover, had this habit of sending an obscure complaint email with no backing evidence to employees when they are away (on leave, waiting for visa, etc.) to justify and support (from their POV, of course, as their story can never survive before any court of justice) wrongful termination.

My advice: cash out your payment(s), leave them no money behin
... See more
Not on translation platforms, no!

But, one shady company, that I've later come to realize were having a constant employee turnover, had this habit of sending an obscure complaint email with no backing evidence to employees when they are away (on leave, waiting for visa, etc.) to justify and support (from their POV, of course, as their story can never survive before any court of justice) wrongful termination.

My advice: cash out your payment(s), leave them no money behind, and go on your way.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glitch in agency's translation platform?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »