ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
未雨绸缪 Sep 27, 2013

Coffee-Tea wrote:

孙先生和这位81岁的老先生说得真好!这也是我选择做自由译者的一个重要原因。我不是英语专业,自99年以来一直在手机行业做工程师,明白这个行业不可能做到老。我不想退休后没事干,现在算提前为退休生活做准备了。 哈哈。
翻译应该是可以做一辈子的事情。而且是呆在家里就能做。-:)

退休后做自由翻译确实是一个很好的选项。但是,还有不少其他选项。

那位81岁的老先生精神确实可嘉。不过,即使我能够活那么久,我也不打算做翻译一直做到那个岁数。我打算逐渐减少自己的工作量。一方面,多花点时间在孙子、孙女的教育上。另一方面,趁现在身体还好,多出去旅游旅游。等到将来走不动时,再想游就太晚了。

[Edited at 2013-09-27 17:09 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 30, 2013

ysun wrote:

Coffee-Tea wrote:

孙先生和这位81岁的老先生说得真好!这也是我选择做自由译者的一个重要原因。我不是英语专业,自99年以来一直在手机行业做工程师,明白这个行业不可能做到老。我不想退休后没事干,现在算提前为退休生活做准备了。 哈哈。
翻译应该是可以做一辈子的事情。而且是呆在家里就能做。-:)

退休后做自由翻译确实是一个很好的选项。但是,还有不少其他选项。

那位81岁的老先生精神确实可嘉。不过,即使我能够活那么久,我也不打算做翻译一直做到那个岁数。我打算逐渐减少自己的工作量。一方面,多花点时间在孙子、孙女的教育上。另一方面,趁现在身体还好,多出去旅游旅游。等到将来走不动时,再想游就太晚了。

[Edited at 2013-09-27 17:09 GMT]

这次回国,带孩子到公园去玩。那里满眼都是退休的老人,跳舞的、唱歌的、唱戏的、打球的、下棋的、玩空竹的。。。好不热闹! 在机场也遇到不少参加旅行团的老人。我公公也想参加,结果,过了65岁,人家旅行团都不带他玩儿了。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
旅游 Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

这次回国,带孩子到公园去玩。那里满眼都是退休的老人,跳舞的、唱歌的、唱戏的、打球的、下棋的、玩空竹的。。。好不热闹! 在机场也遇到不少参加旅行团的老人。我公公也想参加,结果,过了65岁,人家旅行团都不带他玩儿了。

在中国,65岁以上老人出门旅游是很辛苦的。不像这里,我还见过不少拉着氧气瓶旅游的老人呢!

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
文化差异 Oct 5, 2013

ysun wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

在美国,不光是老人,还有行动不便的残疾人,都非常自立和自尊。各类公共设施的设计,也都考虑到他们的需要,为他们提供方便。这次回国,发现国内也越来越多地关注这类人群,相信会越来越好。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

在美国,不光是老人,还有行动不便的残疾人,都非常自立和自尊。各类公共设施的设计,也都考虑到他们的需要,为他们提供方便。这次回国,发现国内也越来越多地关注这类人群,相信会越来越好。

That reminds me of a news report I read couple of days ago. There's a new tourism law in China that went into effect on October 1st.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/travel/new-china-tourism-law/index.html

In September, China's National Tourism Administration issued an illustrated 64-page "Guidebook for Civilized Tourism" to instruct citizens on social norms overseas.

The booklet covers everything from reminders to say "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" to specific cultural items such as one that says "In Iran, do not talk about babies' eyes."

"When we are visiting a foreign place, we're the guests and have to treat the host with respect," says the guide.

Photography: "When taking photos in tourist spots, do not fight and be patient. Do not force the others to take a picture with you, nor obstruct the others when they are photographing. If you would like the others' to take a picture for you, say thank you."

Toilet use: "Do not occupy the public toilet for a very long time. Do not leave footprints on the toilet seats and flush after use."

Queue jumping: "Respect order in public. Jumping the line is not acceptable anywhere."
On tipping: "Service industries in a lot of countries honor tipping. If you think the service is good, please tip accordingly."

At the buffet table: "When you're at a buffet dinner, only take what you can consume. Do not waste food."

Taking in a show: "Respect the performers. Clap after the show to show your gratitude to the performers. During curtain call, join the crowd for a standing ovation. If a performer slips up on stage, be understanding but do not cheer, whistle and jeer."

Don't greet with Jeet-yet? ...

In the UK: "Do not greet the others by asking them questions like 'Where are you going?' or 'Have you eaten yet?' as you would in China."

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sigh Oct 5, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

That reminds me of a news report I read couple of days ago. There's a new tourism law in China that went into effect on October 1st.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/travel/new-china-tourism-law/index.html

In September, China's National Tourism Administration issued an illustrated 64-page "Guidebook for Civilized Tourism" to instruct citizens on social norms overseas.

The booklet covers everything from reminders to say "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" to specific cultural items such as one that says "In Iran, do not talk about babies' eyes."

"When we are visiting a foreign place, we're the guests and have to treat the host with respect," says the guide.

Photography: "When taking photos in tourist spots, do not fight and be patient. Do not force the others to take a picture with you, nor obstruct the others when they are photographing. If you would like the others' to take a picture for you, say thank you."

Toilet use: "Do not occupy the public toilet for a very long time. Do not leave footprints on the toilet seats and flush after use."

Queue jumping: "Respect order in public. Jumping the line is not acceptable anywhere."
On tipping: "Service industries in a lot of countries honor tipping. If you think the service is good, please tip accordingly."

At the buffet table: "When you're at a buffet dinner, only take what you can consume. Do not waste food."

Taking in a show: "Respect the performers. Clap after the show to show your gratitude to the performers. During curtain call, join the crowd for a standing ovation. If a performer slips up on stage, be understanding but do not cheer, whistle and jeer."

Don't greet with Jeet-yet? ...

In the UK: "Do not greet the others by asking them questions like 'Where are you going?' or 'Have you eaten yet?' as you would in China."

礼失求诸野。个人认为,把这些用条文的方式规定下来,是种无奈。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Tourist Guidebooks Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

不知有没有提到 公共场所不要大声喧哗。 这是最令国人难堪的了。

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
尊重 Oct 5, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

不知有没有提到 公共场所不要大声喧哗。 这是最令国人难堪的了。

虽然没读到全文,就指导书的细致程度来推测,应该不会漏掉这一条。其实,这么多细则,归根到底两个字:尊重。如果对人能多些尊重,用同理心,作换位思考,我们的举止言行自然不会太出格。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
礼貌 Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

虽然没读到全文,就指导书的细致程度来推测,应该不会漏掉这一条。其实,这么多细则,归根到底两个字:尊重。如果对人能多些尊重,用同理心,作换位思考,我们的举止言行自然不会太出格。

Indeed, a lot of it is common sense.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
In this situation, perhaps being thin-skinned is better Oct 5, 2013

[Edited at 2013-10-06 03:10 GMT]

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
求证 Oct 5, 2013

wherestip wrote:
In this situation, perhaps being thin-skinned is better

Hi, Steve,

Speaking of the thin-skinned and thick-skinned topic. I would like to ask your feeling about my post about the eight years old boy.

仿佛看到了,这样一个内向的小男孩,默默地承受着语言的障碍和文化的冲突。想到我自己的孩子们,顿时心有戚戚焉。

Does it sound unrespectful? I am not sure if the sentence made you feel embarrassed. Sometimes I am too numb to notice other's feeling. Instead of guess, I had rather just ask you directly so that I will learn in the future. Thank you.

Ying

[Edited at 2013-10-05 15:16 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Very nice Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Hi, Steve,

Speaking of the thin-skinned and thick-skinned topic. I would like to ask your feeling about my post about the eight years old boy.

Does it sound unrespectful? I am not sure if the sentence made you feel embarrassed. Sometimes I am too numb to notice other's feeling. Instead of guess, I had rather just ask you directly so that I will learn in the future. Thank you.

Ying

No, not at all. There's nothing that you said that was out of line.

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Oct 5, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Hi, Steve,

Ying

Thank you. I am relieved. So we do understand each other in the context. It's very nice talking to you.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
take what I say at face value Oct 5, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Thank you. I am relieved. So we do understand each other in the context. It's very nice talking to you.

Sure, same here. Please don't read too much into what I say. I'm the type of person who would let the person know how I felt without hinting about.

I think sometimes we have a way of looking for a hidden message in what other people are saying.

p.s., Of course I don't want to offend anyone by saying this. And I'm definitely not trying to stereotype anybody.

[Edited at 2013-10-05 15:57 GMT]

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the game Oct 5, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Sure, same here. Please don't read too much into what I say. I think the Chinese have a way of looking for a hidden message in what other people are saying.

Of course I don't want to offend anyone by saying this. And I'm definitely not trying to stereotype anybody.

[Edited at 2013-10-05 15:27 GMT]

I used to play the guessing game, and made a lot of misunderstanding. Now I am more open and would like to bring things on table. It seems we have similar minds.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

感恩

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »