wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Chinese to English
+ ...
The effect of globalization on American society Oct 6, 2013

ysun wrote:

这种人毕竟还是极少数。我更常遇到的是别人的礼让。有时在超市购物,排在前面的人见我买的东西少,往往就会让我到他/她前面去。

最近我出去旅游时也经历了一件比较罕见的事情。一位衣着光鲜的东方贵妇一进电梯马上就按关门的按钮。结果紧跟在后的我就被电梯门狠狠地夹了一下。幸好那次被夹的是我,而不是我身后的两个小孙女。通常先进电梯的人都会把电梯门控制住,直至所有人都进入电梯。所以,人之素质高低与是否有钱,两者之间并无必然联系。

Yueyin,

I'm not surprised at all with your elevator incident; what a doozy! I bet you that woman didn't even have the decency to apologize to you, either.

Bizarre incidents like that just totally goes against the social norm. IMO, ever since globalization, courtesy and decency in human interaction have gradually gotten worse here in the U.S.. Of course, it's all relative; and the odd behaviors one encounters in everyday life are still extremely rare, thank God. I realize how good we have it - after all these years, living in North America is still like heaven on earth to me.

I agree with what you said about social behavior being attributable to a person's upbringing. The downhill slide in modern-day China, IMO, definitely didn't help with matters in this respect.

They always say America is like a giant melting pot. What melts though, is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

[Edited at 2013-10-06 17:05 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
免疫力 Oct 6, 2013

Meixia Jordan wrote:

谢谢ysun先生的忠告。其实有时候只要使用common sense 就不会犯错误。只是如果在一个过于安宁和守法的环境待久了,警惕性和反应能力就会退化,所以偶尔换换环境还是蛮好的。另外针对您的电梯奇遇我也有感触。从小动作上往往就看出一个人的修养素质,对那些钱包鼓鼓,脑袋空空的人,最好的办法就是避而远之吧。

你是回家探父心切,而且你在上海上车时并不知他们会在半夜三更把你抛在城外,所以上当受骗也是出于无奈。根据我的经验,现在国内火车、长途汽车非常发达。沪宁之间的班车应该是很多的。那“黄牛”说,“不用去汽车站了,票也都卖光了”,那绝对是骗你。你说得不错,“如果在一个过于安宁和守法的环境待久了,警惕性和反应能力就会退化”。我的亲戚说我们丧失了免疫力,也就是这个意思。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Taking things for granted Oct 6, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

I'm not surprised at all with your elevator incident; what a doozy! I bet you that woman didn't even have the decency to apologize to you, either.

Bizarre incidents like that just totally goes against the social norm. IMO, ever since globalization, courtesy and decency in human interaction have gradually gotten worse here in the U.S.. Of course, it's all relative; and the odd behaviors one encounters in everyday life are still extremely rare, thank God. I realize how good we have it - living in North America is still like heaven on earth to me.

Steve,

No, she didn't apologize at all as if nothing had happened. Otherwise, I would believe she had just pushed a wrong button by accident. At a moment like that I suddenly realized that we just took so many things for granted in this country.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
仓廪实而知礼节,衣食足而知荣辱 Oct 7, 2013

http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=PQng1ZH6xpBOTBn_z85jjvRwhPXAJYhr_6OWXNw6tmdK5PJtpQ8GExouR4sSrdrgn1NkmTCGMvQe4uXydoZno_

现在看来,这句话也不很靠谱。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
the Cinderella Story Oct 7, 2013

J.H.,

That's very interesting. I'll have to read up on that one to see what I think about it, 'cause I'm not that well-versed in old Chinese wisdom.

But immediately what comes to mind is the Western tale of "Cinderella". It says a lot about being poor and oppressed, yet still being kind and generous to others.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
人穷志不穷 Oct 7, 2013

J.H.,

Thanks for the link, BTW.

Yeah, I think having the economic means is a necessary but insufficient condition for people to be virtuous. The link you provided kind of pointed that out ...

详解

或许是太史公司马迁敏锐洞察到了“仓廪实、衣食足”与“知礼节、知荣辱”之间的联系并不是必然的,才把管仲的“则”微妙、审慎的改为了“而”,用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件,“仓廪实、衣食足”只是前提和基础;或许管子当时也没有把这句话说得那么绝对,只是后人一叶障目、断章取义、妄自揣度,未能准确理解先人微言大义罢了,而且在那个诸侯蠢蠢欲动的年代,适用、管用的就是最好的,抑或注重经济、反对空谈主义的管仲先生就是这样精准地抓住了关键。总的来说,从人类曲折的文明发展历程看,“仓廪实而知礼节,衣食足而知荣辱”,经济的发展衍生文明的进步,文明的进步依仗经济的发展,是大趋势、大规律、大方向,从宏观上讲二者水涨船高、相生相随的关系无可争议,从经济基础对上层建筑的决定作用上讲先贤的至理名言依然对现实有巨大的不可抗拒的指导作用,永远会是中华民族弥足珍贵的精神财富,取其精华,去其糟粕,为今所用,适可而止,乃为上策。

And the "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" the link refers to is also a pretty interesting read ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack Ying's thread to focus on this topic. My apologies.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
“详解” 中的问题 Oct 7, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

Yeah, I think having the economic means is a necessary but insufficient condition for people to be virtuous. The link you provided kind of pointed that out ...

详解

或许是太史公司马迁敏锐洞察到了“仓廪实、衣食足”与“知礼节、知荣辱”之间的联系并不是必然的,才把管仲的“则”微妙、审慎的改为了“而”,用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件,“仓廪实、衣食足”只是前提和基础;或许管子当时也没有把这句话说得那么绝对,只是后人一叶障目、断章取义、妄自揣度,未能准确理解先人微言大义罢了,而且在那个诸侯蠢蠢欲动的年代,适用、管用的就是最好的,抑或注重经济、反对空谈主义的管仲先生就是这样精准地抓住了关键。总的来说,从人类曲折的文明发展历程看,“仓廪实而知礼节,衣食足而知荣辱”,经济的发展衍生文明的进步,文明的进步依仗经济的发展,是大趋势、大规律、大方向,从宏观上讲二者水涨船高、相生相随的关系无可争议,从经济基础对上层建筑的决定作用上讲先贤的至理名言依然对现实有巨大的不可抗拒的指导作用,永远会是中华民族弥足珍贵的精神财富,取其精华,去其糟粕,为今所用,适可而止,乃为上策。

And the "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" the link refers to is also a pretty interesting read ...

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack Ying's thread to focus on this topic. My apologies.

Steve,

我之前没有仔细读其中的“详解”内容。不过,仔细一读,才发现“详解”中的如下说法缺乏常识:

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件

笑死人了!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 7, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Steve,

我之前没有仔细读其中的“详解”内容。不过,仔细一读,才发现“详解”中的如下说法缺乏常识:

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件

笑死人了!

Yes, I just realized that I had it backwards. In my mind I had it right though.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
知礼节、知荣辱与物质财富的关系 Oct 7, 2013

两者的关系比较复杂,可能需要写一大篇文章,或一本书来探讨。不过,两者应该还是有一定关系的,但不是必然的关系。毕竟,知礼节、知荣辱属于精神文明,仓廪实、衣食足属于物质富足,似乎没有直接从物质富足必然推导出精神文明的逻辑。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
无必然联系 Oct 7, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

两者的关系比较复杂,可能需要写一大篇文章,或一本书来探讨。不过,两者应该还是有一定关系的,但不是必然的关系。毕竟,知礼节、知荣辱属于精神文明,仓廪实、衣食足属于物质富足,似乎没有直接从物质富足必然推导出精神文明的逻辑。

Indeed, indeed. Very well said.

Yueyin also already said above: "所以,人之素质高低与是否有钱,两者之间并无必然联系。"

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
一定关系, 但无必然联系 Oct 7, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Indeed, indeed. Very well said.

Yueyin also already said above: "所以,人之素质高低与是否有钱,两者之间并无必然联系。"

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
马斯洛需求层次理论 Oct 7, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

详解

马斯洛需求层次理论在中国非常流行的,我在大学时就有所了解。

结合马斯洛的理论,我觉得似乎可以这么说,基本的生存条件(满足生理需求和安全需求)是实现精神文明的物质前提条件。但是,(远远)超过基本的生存条件之上的过度的物质富足反而对提升精神文明帮助不大了。一个极端的情况是,来自非正当途径的物质富足对提升精神文明不但毫无帮助,反而有害。精神文明有相对的独立性。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
再说马斯洛的需求层次理论 Oct 7, 2013

我刚才又温习了一下马斯洛的需求层次理论,可以看出,他的需求层次金字塔的下两层大致属于物质需求,之上的三层大致属于精神需求。这说明,精神需求的满足是建立在一定的物质需求满足的基础上的。这个理论的确很科学... See more
我刚才又温习了一下马斯洛的需求层次理论,可以看出,他的需求层次金字塔的下两层大致属于物质需求,之上的三层大致属于精神需求。这说明,精神需求的满足是建立在一定的物质需求满足的基础上的。这个理论的确很科学!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow

http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=sZqc6fcdaclNachf3kl77x3NpVc994e3QuNVMEMAPPKl28-ghWPJzk8EjKiOZesu
Collapse

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
关于”详解“的一点修正 Oct 7, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

详解

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件,

应该改为:

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的必要条件,而不是充分条件,

属于笔误。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
necessary and sufficient Oct 7, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的充分条件,而不是必要条件,

应该改为:

用今天的话来说就是:“仓廪实、衣食足”是“知礼节、知荣辱”的必要条件,而不是充分条件,

属于笔误。

J.H.,

Yes, I agree. I think that's what the person meant. It's also in line with Marlow's theory of hierarchical needs. You have to solve the basic physical needs before you talk about the spiritual needs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

感恩

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »