用拼音做名字,应该把姓氏放前面还是放在后面
Thread poster: Frank Wong
Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2014

中文里的大姓(张王李赵)在跟英文的 first name 组合时候,很容易重名。我之前用Frank,但是最近看到 Proz 里早就有人在用了,而且跟我的语言对一样,领域也差不多,所以索性改成拼音。
按照英文习惯,是把姓氏放在后面。不过我发现越来越多的文章开始把姓氏放在前面了,包括很多国外的网站(比如Yahoo)上的很多新闻在出现拼音名时都按照中文的姓名顺序写,这样也有好处,毕竟在读中文名字时候比较方便,如果颠倒过来读就比较别扭了,三个字的名字还好,两个字的名字就显得更加不习惯。现在似乎两种方式都存在,有点乱套。各位有什么高见。

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
中文顺序 Nov 4, 2014

Wangbo231 wrote:

中文里的大姓(张王李赵)在跟英文的 first name 组合时候,很容易重名。我之前用Frank,但是最近看到 Proz 里早就有人在用了,而且跟我的语言对一样,领域也差不多,所以索性改成拼音。
按照英文习惯,是把姓氏放在后面。不过我发现越来越多的文章开始把姓氏放在前面了,包括很多国外的网站(比如Yahoo)上的很多新闻在出现拼音名时都按照中文的姓名顺序写,这样也有好处,毕竟在读中文名字时候比较方便,如果颠倒过来读就比较别扭了,三个字的名字还好,两个字的名字就显得更加不习惯。现在似乎两种方式都存在,有点乱套。各位有什么高见。

姓和名都用拼音时,我实际见到越来越多的人把姓的拼音放在前,名的拼音放在后。
国家领导人好像基本都这样的。可以去wiki核查一下他们的英文词条。
当然,如果你个人愿意反过来,应该也没问题吧。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
My two-cents Nov 4, 2014

If write to English-speaking readers, put the surname at the rear. If non-English-speaking ones, place it at the front. If neither the former nor the latter, or both of them, follow the respective language practices.

Chuanbin Liu
Chuanbin Liu  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
姓氏放前面为好 Nov 4, 2014

For example, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang, Mao Zedong.

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
确实 Nov 4, 2014

lbone wrote:

Wangbo231 wrote:

姓和名都用拼音时,我实际见到越来越多的人把姓的拼音放在前,名的拼音放在后。
国家领导人好像基本都这样的。可以去wiki核查一下他们的英文词条。
当然,如果你个人愿意反过来,应该也没问题吧。

确实是这样,正过来用的人越来越多

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
大人物姓應在前 Nov 4, 2014

小人物姓應該在後。用於一般的業務往來的文件,你應該讓外方讀者明白哪個是名字哪個是姓。老外很計較這個,因為用姓氏稱呼別人,其前面必須有TITLE; 用名字稱呼人,則必須直呼其名。如果用錯了,他們會很UPSET。

因此,多數情況下,姓氏還是應該在後邊。

Mandy YU
Mandy YU
Local time: 21:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
若担心搞混,姓可以全部用大写 Nov 4, 2014

In Europe, at least in French-speaking parts of Europe, people tend to capitalise all the letters in surnames, to avoid confusion, for example, XI Jinping, or Jinping XI.

I always think it a better solution.

Z-Kong
Z-Kong  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
agree Nov 5, 2014

Mandy YU wrote:

In Europe, at least in French-speaking parts of Europe, people tend to capitalise all the letters in surnames, to avoid confusion, for example, XI Jinping, or Jinping XI.

I have recently seen a file where the surname is capitalised and put in front of the name. I think this is pretty good solution to comply with Chinese tradition, and makes it easier to distinguish which one is the surname.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
However, Nov 5, 2014

Z-Kong wrote:

Mandy YU wrote:

I have recently seen a file where the surname is capitalised and put in front of the name. I think this is pretty good solution to comply with Chinese tradition, and makes it easier to distinguish which one is the surname.

An average English reader could think of the capitalization as a typo error.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Completely agree Nov 5, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Z-Kong wrote:

Mandy YU wrote:

An average English reader could think of the capitalization as a typo error.

...With all of jyuan's suggestions on capitalization - and also we are most definitely not VIPs compared to heads of state- just do "First name, last name".

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
An individual choice Nov 5, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name

Regions of the Sinosphere

In modern Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese, the family name is placed before the given names, although this order may not be observed in translation. Generally speaking, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese names do not alter their order in English (Mao Zedong, Kim Jong-il, Ho Chi Minh) and Japanese names do (Kenzaburō Ōe).[34] However, numerous exceptions exist, particularly for people born in English-speaking countries such as Yo-Yo Ma. This is sometimes systematized: in all Olympic events, the athletes of the People's Republic of China list their names in the Chinese ordering, while Chinese athletes representing other countries, such as the USA, use the Western ordering.[citation needed] (In Vietnam, the system is further complicated by the cultural tradition of addressing people by their given name, usually with an honorific. For example, Phan Văn Khải is properly addressed as Mr. Khải, even though Phan is his family name.)

From what I've seen, most folks of Chinese descent living in the U.S. follow the Western ordering of names, i.e., to put one’s given name in front of one’s family name. It just makes life a lot easier; ‘cause that's the social norm, and everyone around you expects it to be that way.

For people living in a non-English-speaking environment like China, IMO it’s entirely up to the individual. But if you also want to make life easier, then go by the guidelines of the Chinese authorities, which is to start with one’s family name. It would probably save you some aggravation in verifying your identity, such as in the application for a passport, etc..

Anyway, as people from the West become more and more aware of the customs of the East, they adapt. Most people like to be politically correct and to respect diversity. It's really not that much different than changing the spelling and pronunciation of Beijing from its traditional English spelling and pronunciation of "Peking".

[Edited at 2014-11-05 13:56 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Nov 5, 2014

coolfool wrote:

If write to English-speaking readers, put the surname at the rear.

When writing to English-speaking readers, you should put your first name first and last name last.

Michael Moss
Michael Moss  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Chinese to English
Always up to the client Nov 5, 2014

Even within the legal community there is no consensus on the right way to do this. I have been requested to format to almost every style already posted here by different clients!
My personal preference is to keep the surname first, because I think it confuses things. When the Chinese translate a foreigner's name, they usually keep the foreign order as well. such as "汤姆 克鲁斯"

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Agree Nov 5, 2014

Michael Moss wrote:

Even within the legal community there is no consensus on the right way to do this. I have been requested to format to almost every style already posted here by different clients!
My personal preference is to keep the surname first, because I think it confuses things. When the Chinese translate a foreigner's name, they usually keep the foreign order as well. such as "汤姆 克鲁斯"

Agree with Michael. I'd add that if the client doesn't give any instructions regarding this I'd take into account the client's previous exposure to China in making the decision. Most clients with offices in China seem to be used to the surname/given name system. For clients that don't frequently do business with China I think this is a toss-up, and the most important thing is to include a note to the client about whichever way you chose to render this when sending the finished translation.

In the US at least, I believe all major news publications use surname/given name (Xi Jingping, Mao Zedong). I've never seen the capitalized family name 'XI' here.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Welcome! Nov 5, 2014

Michael Moss wrote:

Hi Michael,

A warm welcome to the Chinese Forum!

Seeing your first post here is my joy and I hope your posts will keep coming.

Enjoy the experience!

David

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

用拼音做名字,应该把姓氏放前面还是放在后面

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »