Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2014

Hi all,

Sorry for writing in English.
A client wants to translate a text into Mainland Chinese + Hongkong Chinese.
The customer would want the two target texts to be as analogous as possible, but still adapted to each region.
Which would be the most efficient approach?

Commission two separate translations?
Or translate one language first, and then transcribing it into the other?

I'm aware that zh-CN is written with simplified and zh
... See more
Hi all,

Sorry for writing in English.
A client wants to translate a text into Mainland Chinese + Hongkong Chinese.
The customer would want the two target texts to be as analogous as possible, but still adapted to each region.
Which would be the most efficient approach?

Commission two separate translations?
Or translate one language first, and then transcribing it into the other?

I'm aware that zh-CN is written with simplified and zh-HK with traditional chars. Is there any semi-automated way to convert between the two charsets, and then change the words that differ? Or would it take as much time as translating from scratch.

Thanks a lot for your input!

/Jan
Collapse

blizzardhhj
blizzardhhj
China
Local time: 17:44
English to Chinese
Try MS-Word? Nov 11, 2014

Hi Jan,
Re your questions, putting aside the different expressions used by mainlanders and HKers, the "transcription" between the 2 is quite simple, sometimes I do it with MS-Word, "Review - Convert with Options". - not sure if that's a plug-in only for Chinese users.

However, sometimes the reason for Simplified CN and Traditional CN regarded as 2 different translation pairs is, in areas require professional terms, those 2 always have different expressions, even for traditiona
... See more
Hi Jan,
Re your questions, putting aside the different expressions used by mainlanders and HKers, the "transcription" between the 2 is quite simple, sometimes I do it with MS-Word, "Review - Convert with Options". - not sure if that's a plug-in only for Chinese users.

However, sometimes the reason for Simplified CN and Traditional CN regarded as 2 different translation pairs is, in areas require professional terms, those 2 always have different expressions, even for traditional CN along, there are HK version and TW version, while for simplified CN, there are mainland version and Singapore version, etc.

So, if your customer would not mind these differences, or the text doesnt need to be localized to a native level, then the conversion itself is quite easy.

HJ.H
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:44
Chinese to English
Agree Nov 11, 2014

blizzardhhj wrote:

Hi Jan,

However, sometimes the reason for Simplified CN and Traditional CN regarded as 2 different translation pairs is, in areas require professional terms, those 2 always have different expressions, even for traditional CN along, there are HK version and TW version, while for simplified CN, there are mainland version and Singapore version, etc.

So, if your customer would not mind these differences, or the text doesnt need to be localized to a native level, then the conversion itself is quite easy.

HJ.H

This is correct; if your client just wants traditional characters WORD can do this. However, if the client wants the text to be instantly identifiable by a Hong Konger as being HK Chinese you'll either need to commission two different translations or give the simplified translation to an HK translator to make changes to (or vice versa).

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Translation+adaptation Nov 11, 2014

The languages are close enough that any competent HK editor should be able to knock a mainland text into HK shape for you (or vice versa). Unless it's advertising - the advertising cultures are quite different, and would probably require two different texts. But for most materials adaptation is possible.

Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I also often do that Nov 11, 2014

I also often do that, but there seems no easy way, uless you know both languages very well.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
A warm welcome to the Chinese Forum! Nov 11, 2014

Dear blizzardhhj,

How nice to see you here at the Chinese Forum! Do come often and share your views.

I hope you find your experience in this Forum a rewarding and fruitful one.

Regards.

David

blizzardhhj wrote:

Hi Jan,

HJ.H

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
two flavors Nov 11, 2014

Jan,

FYI, they are hardly two languages. A parallel could be drawn between British English and American English.

So if time allows, I would definitely have only one version done, and then plug it into one of the "SimplifiedTraditional" tools that are readily available, suc
... See more
Jan,

FYI, they are hardly two languages. A parallel could be drawn between British English and American English.

So if time allows, I would definitely have only one version done, and then plug it into one of the "SimplifiedTraditional" tools that are readily available, such as this one ...

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/converter-simptrad.html

Most of the time, the results should be satisfactory. If not, you could have the converted text polished at a lower cost.
Collapse

blizzardhhj
blizzardhhj
China
English to Chinese
Thank you David Nov 12, 2014

David Lin wrote:

Dear blizzardhhj,

How nice to see you here at the Chinese Forum! Do come often and share your views.

I hope you find your experience in this Forum a rewarding and fruitful one.

Regards.

David

blizzardhhj wrote:

Hi Jan,

HJ.H

Thank you David, I'm a noobie at Proz, but will try to share my knowledge with others:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"transcribing" between zh-CN and zh-HK?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »