Thread poster: TCN6YR
TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 16:00
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Sep 23, 2009

Recently, I put my name on SDL Trados 2009 Group Buy. It is a good idea, really. Very helpful!!!

Many people probably notice that there is a large difference between the regular prices in JPY and in USD. It costs 995 USD (appx 90,500 JPY), but if you live in Japan, it costs 128,000 JPY (appx 1,410 USD). Through the group buy, it costs 595 USD (appx 54,020 JPY), but for Japan buy, it still costs 76,800JPY (appx 846 USD).
With the current JPY appreciation against USD, it could
... See more
Recently, I put my name on SDL Trados 2009 Group Buy. It is a good idea, really. Very helpful!!!

Many people probably notice that there is a large difference between the regular prices in JPY and in USD. It costs 995 USD (appx 90,500 JPY), but if you live in Japan, it costs 128,000 JPY (appx 1,410 USD). Through the group buy, it costs 595 USD (appx 54,020 JPY), but for Japan buy, it still costs 76,800JPY (appx 846 USD).
With the current JPY appreciation against USD, it could be even lower in prices. Does anybody know the differences between the Japan version and the US version? Is this a shipping cost?

I don't know if this question was given by someone before. At least, I couldn't find it on the recent list.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

ayami
ayami  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I have the same question.. Sep 23, 2009

Shibuya-san,
Thank you for posting your question. I have the same question.
Could the difference be a margin for Japan SDL Trados as everything else is so expensive in Japan?
Since I was instructed to download the application, I don't think it is a shipping cost.

To my regret, I bought it at USD645 a few months ago and now it is USD 595! How could the price change so quickly?

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I sent a question to the company Sep 26, 2009

I don't know if the regular price in JPY changes as the regular price in USD dropped. Japan is an expensive country, and this is why we see the difference, margin, probably.
I have downloaded the Japanese Trados, so there is no shipping cost for sure. I just see that the Japan version is in Japanese language (I thought in English), so their translation cost included.
Anyway, even if it is in Japanese, 995 USD and 1,410 USD makes the large difference. I don't know if the company rep
... See more
I don't know if the regular price in JPY changes as the regular price in USD dropped. Japan is an expensive country, and this is why we see the difference, margin, probably.
I have downloaded the Japanese Trados, so there is no shipping cost for sure. I just see that the Japan version is in Japanese language (I thought in English), so their translation cost included.
Anyway, even if it is in Japanese, 995 USD and 1,410 USD makes the large difference. I don't know if the company replies to me or not, but if I get it, I will write that for readers.
Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Maybe there is no hassle... Sep 27, 2009

Hello Shibuya-san,

日本語でよろしいでしょうか?SDL Trados 2009 の英語バージョンと日本語バージョンに開きがあるというのは本当でしょうか。私も過去に Group Buy を利用して 2007 年版を入手しましたが、言語別の価格設定には気付きませんでした。Trados の初期開発言語は当然英語ですので、そうであるとすれば、やはりおっしゃるように他言語版はローカライゼーシ�
... See more
Hello Shibuya-san,

日本語でよろしいでしょうか?SDL Trados 2009 の英語バージョンと日本語バージョンに開きがあるというのは本当でしょうか。私も過去に Group Buy を利用して 2007 年版を入手しましたが、言語別の価格設定には気付きませんでした。Trados の初期開発言語は当然英語ですので、そうであるとすれば、やはりおっしゃるように他言語版はローカライゼーションが要求される分上乗せとなる、のかも知れませんね。

いい加減な物言いはできませんが、あくまで私の想像では、英語版と日本語版はインターフェース言語が違うだけで、操作上の違いは多分ほとんどないと思います。懸念されるとすれば、フォント処理に関するトラブルの可能性でしょうか。ただ実際に使用したわけではないので、SDL からのご回答をお待ちされた方がよいかも知れませんね。

参考になるか分かりませんが役立ちそうなリンクとして、TranslationZone のサポートページや Trados 関連の Yahoo!グループがあります(これはどなたか別の場所でご案内されていましたね)。

http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/default.asp
http://groups.yahoo.co.jp/group/tratool-jp/

取り合えずご紹介のみですがすみません。

Minoru KUWAHARA
Collapse

minajapan
minajapan  Identity Verified
Japan
English to Japanese
26,000円の差は諦めきれないです。 Oct 25, 2010

初めまして。
1年以上前のトピックなのですが、書き込みさせてください。

2010年10月22日締切のグループ購入に申し込み、代金の支払いをしようとしたのですが、USDでの支払いを受け付けてくれません。当然、USD605で済ませられると思っていたのに、76,000円の支払いしか受け付けてくれないようです。現時点で1ドル81円を切っています。USD605だと、5万円を切ります。製品は日本語版でなくてもいいから、USDで購入するつもりだったのに…。ショックでやり切れません。

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Minako-san Oct 25, 2010

初めまして。
Trados社に確認をしてみましたが、回答はありませんでした。
Japan Buyは日本在住者が購入する場合であって、日本語版購入という意味ではありません。Localization料金のようではありますが、翻訳者は英語版を使用できるわけですし、PDFの大きなInstructionは英語ですべて書かれていて、日本語の機能名と合っていないなど、完成されたものではありません。店頭購入ではなくて、インターネット上でダウンロードするものでありますし、何らかのLisenceの問題を考えても、やっぱり他国と比較してJapan Buyは価格が高く設定してあります。
残念ですが、Tradosの使用を考える限りは、この価格を受け入れるしかないようです。市場競争の激しい製品ではないので、言い値で買うしかありません。日本の消費者は大人しいので、特に価格の見直しも考えていないと思います。因みに、フリーズなどの不具合があるため、購入後あまり積極的に使用していません。フル活用している方であれば、Cost-Benefitは高いのでしょう。

minajapan
Japan
English to Japanese
なぜ、同じ製品をUSD605でなく、76,000円で買わねばならないのか? Oct 26, 2010

Takako-san、初めまして。
コメントありがとうございます。

>Trados社に確認をしてみましたが、回答はありませんでした。
私の書き込みを読まれてから、問い合わせされたのでしょうか?もしそうでしたら、ありがとうございました。深夜、ProZのサポートに問い合わせはしたのですが、Trados社の方には質問をせずに、こちらのトピックに書き込みをしてから、ショックで寝てしまいました。

>因みに、フリーズなどの不具合があるため、購入後あまり積極的に使用していません。
購入されてから1年経った頃ですよね。そうなんですね。ずいぶん悩んだ末に「買うぞ」と決心して、グループ購入に申し込みをしたのですが…もう少し考えてみます。そろそろ1ドル80円を切るかもしれないのに、まさかドルで買えないなんて。支払期限が明日27日なので、もうちょっとだけ考えてみます。

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
問い合わせ Oct 26, 2010

TRADOSへの問い合わせは、購入後すぐに行ったものです。どこにどの言語で問い合わせたかは記憶していませんが、回答はありませんでした。
PROZ単体のJOBを見ても、TRADOSを使用できることを応募条件として掲げている場合も多いため、活用している人がほとんどだと思います。条件に合えば、その分仕事も増えますから、先にも書いた通り、費用対効果も期待できるのでしょう。私はそういった仕事に積極的に応募していないだけということです。
円高の状態で他と比較するのは少々無理がありますが、他国の価格を見ても日本が特に高いです。翻訳に投資は必要ですから、割り切って考えたいのですが、他国の価格を知ってしまうとなぜここだけ?となってしまいます。日本は全般的に物価が高いので、あきらめるしかないのでしょう。

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Other programs Oct 26, 2010

I believe the company selling Trados has simply realized that most software is more expensive in Japan than overseas and takes advantage of it, period. Photoshop, for instance, costs 699 USD to customers based in the US and 99750 YEN in Japan (Prices listed on Adobe official website), which is equivalent to 1234,75 USD, almost twice the price in the US.

I don't think this difference can be justified by the cost of localization, otherwise translators would all be millionaires...
... See more
I believe the company selling Trados has simply realized that most software is more expensive in Japan than overseas and takes advantage of it, period. Photoshop, for instance, costs 699 USD to customers based in the US and 99750 YEN in Japan (Prices listed on Adobe official website), which is equivalent to 1234,75 USD, almost twice the price in the US.

I don't think this difference can be justified by the cost of localization, otherwise translators would all be millionaires...

Besides, you don't need Trados to bid on "Trados" jobs. Most clients are fine with the translator using other tools such as Wordfast or OmegaT (free), as long as you explain to them that these tools are fully compatible with Trados.
Collapse

minajapan
Japan
English to Japanese
ProZの回答"Unfortunately, no", Tradosからも回答ありました Oct 27, 2010

Shibuyaさん
日本語版にローカライズされていない製品を、日本に住んでいるという理由でJapan Buyの価格で買わねばならないことに納得がいかないし、予算もオーバーしているので、今回はグループ購入から辞退することにしました。Shibuyaさんから、慣習?になっている価格差のこと、ソフトの具合など率直な感想を聞かせてもらえて、非常に助かりました。ありがとう�
... See more
Shibuyaさん
日本語版にローカライズされていない製品を、日本に住んでいるという理由でJapan Buyの価格で買わねばならないことに納得がいかないし、予算もオーバーしているので、今回はグループ購入から辞退することにしました。Shibuyaさんから、慣習?になっている価格差のこと、ソフトの具合など率直な感想を聞かせてもらえて、非常に助かりました。ありがとうございました。

Geraldine-san,
Thank you vey much for giving me helpful information. I didn't know the fact that many softwares except Trados were more expensive in Japan than overseas. What makes me shock is that I have no choice to buy Trados in USD only because I live in Japan. Now I use OmegaT, and then I have noticed the effectiveness of a CAT tool. As you recommend, I will try another cat tool and apply for the "Trados job" informing employers of what software I use as a CAT tool.

何度も編集して申し訳ないです。
Trados社から10/27のお昼にメールがありました。
>申し訳ございませんが、日本の方には日本円での販売のみとさせて頂いております。
ということでした。ご報告まで。

P.S.
また書き直しました。本当にごめんなさい!

[2010-10-27 16:01 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados for Japan

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »