Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Mar 1, 2011

Hi everyone,

I have just installed the trial version of Yonde Koko because I was not satisfied with the OCR program I used before.
I have tried it on a sample document and it seems to work really well, however I am facing a major mojibake problem with the software itself.
The main menu prints perfectly, but all the drop down menus and the icon menus are replaced by "???", which makes the program almost impossible to use.
My computer is Japanese and my operating sys
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have just installed the trial version of Yonde Koko because I was not satisfied with the OCR program I used before.
I have tried it on a sample document and it seems to work really well, however I am facing a major mojibake problem with the software itself.
The main menu prints perfectly, but all the drop down menus and the icon menus are replaced by "???", which makes the program almost impossible to use.
My computer is Japanese and my operating system as well, so I am not sure what could be the problem and how to fix it.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is your OS version? Mar 1, 2011

Windows XP, Vista, 7 or ...?

Geraldine Oudin
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XP Mar 2, 2011

Hi Katalin,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I work on XP.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You need to set the Non-Unicode Language to Japanese Mar 2, 2011

Before you start, close all your applications, as you will need to reboot the machine.

1. Open up your Control Panel. (Start-> Settings -> Control Panel)
2. Open Regional and Language Options (globe icon)
3. Go to the 3rd tab (Advanced)
4. Set the pull-down list to Japanese (it is probably set to English or something else)
5. Click OK.
6. Reboot.
7. Try Yonde Koko again.
8. If it works, send me chocolate (JUST KIDDING).

... See more
Before you start, close all your applications, as you will need to reboot the machine.

1. Open up your Control Panel. (Start-> Settings -> Control Panel)
2. Open Regional and Language Options (globe icon)
3. Go to the 3rd tab (Advanced)
4. Set the pull-down list to Japanese (it is probably set to English or something else)
5. Click OK.
6. Reboot.
7. Try Yonde Koko again.
8. If it works, send me chocolate (JUST KIDDING).

Katalin
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works, but... Mar 2, 2011

For some reason mine was indeed set to French.
I didn't realise because it didn't prevent my Japanese office and other Japanese programs from running smoothly.

I changed it for Japanese and it works, so you deserve virtual chocolates!

But unfortunately, these settings seem to make it impossible for Prolexis (a French professional proofreading tool) to work.

So I might have to look for a western OCR like ABBY, or find a way to make French grammar fil
... See more
For some reason mine was indeed set to French.
I didn't realise because it didn't prevent my Japanese office and other Japanese programs from running smoothly.

I changed it for Japanese and it works, so you deserve virtual chocolates!

But unfortunately, these settings seem to make it impossible for Prolexis (a French professional proofreading tool) to work.

So I might have to look for a western OCR like ABBY, or find a way to make French grammar files available in the Japanese system...
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well, yes, it makes things more complicated Mar 2, 2011

The setting you just changed tells the system what language encoding to use when the software does not support Unicode. Your other software, such as MS Office, etc. that worked properly before and works even with this setting are properly handling Unicode, so this setting has no effect on them.
However, it seems that your proofreading tool is not like that, and it needs the non-Unicode setting to be French. (You may want to check if there is a newer version of Prolexis that properly suppor
... See more
The setting you just changed tells the system what language encoding to use when the software does not support Unicode. Your other software, such as MS Office, etc. that worked properly before and works even with this setting are properly handling Unicode, so this setting has no effect on them.
However, it seems that your proofreading tool is not like that, and it needs the non-Unicode setting to be French. (You may want to check if there is a newer version of Prolexis that properly supports Unicode.)

So, you have two different pieces of software that requires different settings.
Your only option is to change the setting every time you switch between them.

Now, I am not sure how often you need to do Japanese OCR, but I assume it is less frequently needed than your French proofreading tool - right?
In that case, I would suggest to set the Language encoding back to French, and when you need to use Yonde Koko, just switch the setting as I explained. It is not a big deal, the only pain in the neck is the rebooting.

By the way, Trados Multiterm used to have this problem, it required the appropriate setting depending on the language pair. Now imagine, when I had to work on several Japanese-English and English-Hungarian projects on the same day - I was switching back and forth so many times. (Actually no, I didn't, I gave up on Multiterm.)

This issue gets better with newer operating systems, although I still had to set the Non-Unicode support for Japanese to be able to use Yonde Koko on Windows 7, but it does not seem to mess up my other software anymore.

I hope this helps.
Katalin

[Módosítva: 2011-03-02 02:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mojibake problem with Yonde Koko

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »