こんにちは。
以前はproofreadingの件でこちらで大変ためになるお話を聞けて大変ありがたかったです。回答を下さった皆さまありがとうございました。

今日は標題の件について質問させてください。

アメリカのエージェントから、HTMLファイルの文書をそのまま翻訳してもらえないか、という依頼がありました。本格的に仕事として翻訳を始めてま�
... See more
こんにちは。
以前はproofreadingの件でこちらで大変ためになるお話を聞けて大変ありがたかったです。回答を下さった皆さまありがとうございました。

今日は標題の件について質問させてください。

アメリカのエージェントから、HTMLファイルの文書をそのまま翻訳してもらえないか、という依頼がありました。本格的に仕事として翻訳を始めてまだ日が浅く、何を言っているのかいまいちピンとこなかったので(だいたいこんな感じだろうとは思っていましたが一応)、サンプルとしてドキュメントを送ってみてほしい、と頼みました。

すぐに送られてきたファイルは、そのものずばりHTMLファイルで、そのまま開くと要するにホームページの形になっています。

「このままできないならワードかエクセルに直すけど、できればこのままやってもらいたい」、と…。

結局、時間その他で折り合いがつかずこの仕事は受けられなかったのですが(8000ワード(そのうち約5000はrepetitionだそうだが)を丸2日でバックトランスレーション、という自分にはタイト過ぎるスケジュール、おまけに英→日)、今後の参考にぜひ教えてください。HTMLそのままというのは、何かソフトがないとできないのでしょうか?それともterapadなどで開いて、そこへ翻訳文を入れていくというスタイルでしょうか。

どうぞよろしくお願いします。
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Any CAT-tool can do this May 11, 2011

You need to use a CAT-tool to handle HTML (or XML or other tagged) files.
You can use a simple text editor, too, but you are running the risk of messing up the tags, missing part of the text to translate, etc.
CAT-tools will process the text so that the tags are isolated and locked, so you only touch the actual text. You can count the translatable text this way, and it is a lat harder to mess up the code.
Look into these software tools, there are many out there, some of them a
... See more
You need to use a CAT-tool to handle HTML (or XML or other tagged) files.
You can use a simple text editor, too, but you are running the risk of messing up the tags, missing part of the text to translate, etc.
CAT-tools will process the text so that the tags are isolated and locked, so you only touch the actual text. You can count the translatable text this way, and it is a lat harder to mess up the code.
Look into these software tools, there are many out there, some of them are free, some are not, they all have many different functions, but HTML files are pretty basic and usually included in the file formats these tools handle automatically.
Katalin
Collapse

almha
almha
Local time: 16:05
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
CAT-tool!.. That was new to me! May 13, 2011

Katalin-san,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. The Cat-tool was completely new to me. Ah, there seems to be tons of things that I still need to learn/catch up to translate professionally...

I will probably download some free one as a start and try to lean basic functions. I have some knowledge of XHTML, so hopefully I will be able to get the knuckle of it a bit easily...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTMLファイルから直接翻訳 Translate directly from HTML file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »