ProZ.com Site Localization Project - anyone interested?
Thread poster: KathyT
KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:38
Japanese to English
Sep 11, 2006

Hi Everyone,

ProZ.com is now ready to begin localization of the site in Japanese.
A team is currently being created to work on this project, and several volunteers are needed.
Interested in joining the team?

If so, please feel free to post here or contact me privately through my profile, if you prefer.

皆さん、よろしくお願い致します。

[Edited at 2006-09-11 08:32]

michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:38
English to Japanese
Surprised...a bit Sep 11, 2006

Hi Kathy,

Honestly, I didn't think Japanese site was necessary. I just assumed most of the Japanese translators here can work with English site. I guess there are Japanese translators who work with a Japanese and non-English pair.

Anyway, if the project is a go, I would like to contribute. However, my hours are quite limited as I am a stay-at-home mom and work mostly at night, don't have a lot of spare time. I can probably do 1000-2000 words over a week or so.
... See more
Hi Kathy,

Honestly, I didn't think Japanese site was necessary. I just assumed most of the Japanese translators here can work with English site. I guess there are Japanese translators who work with a Japanese and non-English pair.

Anyway, if the project is a go, I would like to contribute. However, my hours are quite limited as I am a stay-at-home mom and work mostly at night, don't have a lot of spare time. I can probably do 1000-2000 words over a week or so.

Hope even a little bit helps.
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:38
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Michiko! Sep 12, 2006

...and thank you also to those who have responded privately.

Yes, you're probably right: many Japanese translators can navigate their way around the site in English, although it's also true that there are a number of Japanese translators that work in languages that don't include English.

Still, Proz.com is in the process of being localized into all mainstream languages, and this includes Japanese...
See more
...and thank you also to those who have responded privately.

Yes, you're probably right: many Japanese translators can navigate their way around the site in English, although it's also true that there are a number of Japanese translators that work in languages that don't include English.

Still, Proz.com is in the process of being localized into all mainstream languages, and this includes Japanese
Localizing the site may also make it easier for (esp. Japan-based) potential clients to find your profile, post jobs, etc. .....

Some additional information:
The total volume of text to be translated is approx. 25,000 words, and ideally the project will be completed by the end of October, so hopefully this will allow sufficient time if balanced between several people.

We still need more volunteers for translation & proofreading, particularly native Japanese speakers.
Although volunteers aren't compensated monetarily for their time, there are other benefits that may appeal:

To compensate them for their efforts, site localizers are provided with promotion throughout ProZ.com for one year after their translations are completed. Specifically:

- All team members will receive recognition in their profiles ("This translator helped to localize ProZ.com into {language}")

- All team members will be listed, with photos and optional bios, on the localization team page for their language. Search engine optimized links will point to these localization team bios from most ProZ.com pages when viewed in that team's language.

This promotion is significant, as it provides a substantial boost to the "page rank" of these translators' ProZ.com profiles in search engines such as Yahoo! and Google, resulting in an increase in client traffic. (ProZ.com's main pages have the highest page ranks in the industry, and these are inherited by pages we link to.)

So if you're interested, fellow 日本語関係の Prozians, please consider volunteering for the team!!
Thanks again, everyone

Kathy

[Edited at 2006-09-12 00:30]
Collapse

michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:38
English to Japanese
Silly me! Sep 12, 2006

Of course. Clients and oursourcers. How could I forget about them.

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 03:38
English to Japanese
+ ...
Might volunteer, but my schedule....... Sep 12, 2006

Hello KathyT-san, Tsumura-san and all other ProZ members accessing here,

The idea of localizing ProZ into Japanese sounds interesting enough and I would like to volunteer as a translator or an editor, however, I'm actually 'hooked up' with a series of real works over these months, and I would not possibly guess how I could get myself involved in the process of its localization.

Being clarified with a rough schedule I still might be interested in, say, some few hundreds
... See more
Hello KathyT-san, Tsumura-san and all other ProZ members accessing here,

The idea of localizing ProZ into Japanese sounds interesting enough and I would like to volunteer as a translator or an editor, however, I'm actually 'hooked up' with a series of real works over these months, and I would not possibly guess how I could get myself involved in the process of its localization.

Being clarified with a rough schedule I still might be interested in, say, some few hundreds to few thousands words as a matter of 'assignment' in charge. I don't know when I will be really available at all, though.

While European languages are apparently dominant at ProZ, Japanese is surely one of the major languages in our part of the world, specifically not neglectable in the translation world, and therefore it would well deserve localization where I would expect much more exposure to the Japanese audience, clients, agencies, translators alike....

mulberryfield
Minoru Kuwahara
Collapse

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 14:38
SITE STAFF
Thanks Kathy/there will be compensation Oct 30, 2006

Thanks for posting this Kathy!

I appreciate your interest in the Japanese localization project. I'd like to add that there will be compensation including special promotion throughout the site and also browniz for translating and checking words.

Preference will be given to our members, however, non-members may volunteer as well (note that in order to be a team leader you must be a member of the site).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. ... See more
Thanks for posting this Kathy!

I appreciate your interest in the Japanese localization project. I'd like to add that there will be compensation including special promotion throughout the site and also browniz for translating and checking words.

Preference will be given to our members, however, non-members may volunteer as well (note that in order to be a team leader you must be a member of the site).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Patrick
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Site Localization Project - anyone interested?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »