Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Aradai Pardo Martínez
Aradai Pardo Martínez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:39
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Aradai Dec 18, 2009

My name is a compound of my parent's names: Armando and Adriana, son, misspelling and mispronunciation sounds like the story of my life!

In Mexico, everyone writes it with a "y" at the end and, in France, Pardo is also a problem, because they often think I'm saying "pardon".

When I was an exchange student in the States, I became Air-a-die and, while in Sweden, I was often Arladaj (Does Arla ring a bell? Is the biggest dairy product brand there!)

Finally, I
... See more
My name is a compound of my parent's names: Armando and Adriana, son, misspelling and mispronunciation sounds like the story of my life!

In Mexico, everyone writes it with a "y" at the end and, in France, Pardo is also a problem, because they often think I'm saying "pardon".

When I was an exchange student in the States, I became Air-a-die and, while in Sweden, I was often Arladaj (Does Arla ring a bell? Is the biggest dairy product brand there!)

Finally, I must also say that Pool Texan and Demonic Temple are great!!!
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:39
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not well understood in Brazil Dec 18, 2009

The thing is, Paul, you have a name which is double-Dutch / Greek / Aramaic in Brazil. I'm surprised no-one's come up with Dickson yet - or would that be too 'English'?

I particularly like the TIXAN one, sounds like Tixan-Ipê, the kind of washing powder we buy at the supermarket.

I commonly get JINKINS, JINKINGS, JENKINGS, JUNKINS... you name it, I forget the rest.

Cheers

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:39
German to English
+ ...
Taking a name abroad Dec 18, 2009

I also delight in a surname which is almost unpronouncable in my adopted home.

Apart from the normal misspellings "Dewsbury" and "Dewsberry" (which I get in the UK, too), I have also seen versions such as "Dewsberg", "Desberg" and "Densky".

The most dramatic misspelling (which was actually assigned to my son, not me) was "Duschwelle" (a compound made up of the German words for "shower" and "wave"). This was on a certificate at a sports event - the helper writing out th
... See more
I also delight in a surname which is almost unpronouncable in my adopted home.

Apart from the normal misspellings "Dewsbury" and "Dewsberry" (which I get in the UK, too), I have also seen versions such as "Dewsberg", "Desberg" and "Densky".

The most dramatic misspelling (which was actually assigned to my son, not me) was "Duschwelle" (a compound made up of the German words for "shower" and "wave"). This was on a certificate at a sports event - the helper writing out the certificate obviously wrote down what she THOUGHT she heard.

But spare a thought for people named after place names which are even more unpronouncable, such as Leicester, Worcester, Warwick or Cholmondeley.
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Beat it! Dec 18, 2009

My father collected his misspelled name during his life-time job. He was 35 years in the same company as an engineer. Ever time he found a new version of his name he put a sticker with the misspelled name on the door of his bureau. Later his colleagues added it by themselves, if he missed to do so. When he retired his colleagues printed all the misspelled names in a small book. The collection consisted of 235 versions of his misspelled names!... See more
My father collected his misspelled name during his life-time job. He was 35 years in the same company as an engineer. Ever time he found a new version of his name he put a sticker with the misspelled name on the door of his bureau. Later his colleagues added it by themselves, if he missed to do so. When he retired his colleagues printed all the misspelled names in a small book. The collection consisted of 235 versions of his misspelled names!)Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The three musketeers Dec 18, 2009

There are three of us in the Sao Paulo State, Brazil:
- yours truly, Jose Henrique Lamensdorf
- Adolfo Von Randow
- Curt Schönberger

All of us Brazilians, all of us EN-PT translators, none of us speaks any German at all, not even survival basics.

To illustrate, I speak survival basic Polish, I could use it to explain that I don't speak German, Ja nie mówię po Niemieckó., but I couldn't do it properly
... See more
There are three of us in the Sao Paulo State, Brazil:
- yours truly, Jose Henrique Lamensdorf
- Adolfo Von Randow
- Curt Schönberger

All of us Brazilians, all of us EN-PT translators, none of us speaks any German at all, not even survival basics.

To illustrate, I speak survival basic Polish, I could use it to explain that I don't speak German, Ja nie mówię po Niemieckó., but I couldn't do it properly in German, Ich nicht sprechen Deutsch being my closest attempt.

Curt has the most unquestionable name. I'm José not Joseph; nor Adolfo is Adolf, so we raise a flag. Curt doesnt't. He told me some German monoglots call him long-distance, and he can't stop their blurten fast enough.

The worst for me is that every English-speaker calls me in Spanglish, "hoe-zay", while in Brazil it is pronounced "jow-zeh", the J sounding without the implicit preceding D-sound in English, and the E sounding open as in "get". So my nicks are "Zé" in PT, and "Joe" in EN.

I never had any misspeling trouble other than carelessness with my surname. However a classmate in college said that Lamensdorf was too hard to pronounce, so he always called me Lamendovitchsky. Meanwhile a Spaniard who gave everyone a Spanish name called me La Mendoza.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I misspoke earlier Dec 18, 2009

At the local medical clinic (haven't been there in a while, it slipped my mind, but your stories have reminded me), there is another patient named Nancy Beauregard. In the early days the receptionist often pulled her file instead of mine for my appointments, but after a couple pregnancies they got to know me

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
German to English
+ ...
I've lost count Dec 18, 2009

My name is unusual enough to cause constant problems in the States, both with spelling and pronunciation. It was relatively easy to get by in Germany. The pinnacle here was a middle school teacher who decided to call me "Hey, you!" I hated that guy!

[Edited at 2009-12-18 16:22 GMT]

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:39
Member (2009)
English to French
Got a bunch too Dec 18, 2009

My name is Lany, which is very rare in my language pair, my dad saw "Of Mice and Men" and the name Lenny stuck, so he gave it a twist.

I have been called:

Lenny (of course)
Dany
Lanny
Lannie (girl version I guess)
Laynie (that's how it sounds in English)
Yannick (more than once, can't really explain this one)

Also, about half the time when I get an unsolicited phone call, they ask for Mrs. Lany. I mean, if you obviously can't t
... See more
My name is Lany, which is very rare in my language pair, my dad saw "Of Mice and Men" and the name Lenny stuck, so he gave it a twist.

I have been called:

Lenny (of course)
Dany
Lanny
Lannie (girl version I guess)
Laynie (that's how it sounds in English)
Yannick (more than once, can't really explain this one)

Also, about half the time when I get an unsolicited phone call, they ask for Mrs. Lany. I mean, if you obviously can't tell if the person is male or female, why not simply say "May I speak with Lany?". How hard can that be?

I also went to interviews where they expected a female candidate, where I specifically added Mr. Lany at the top of my resume. That was more insulting, way to read my resume...

Used to tick me off, but now it's just funny more than anything else.

Thank you for sharing, nice to see it happening to everyone.
Collapse

Vuk Vujosevic
Vuk Vujosevic  Identity Verified
Montenegro
English to Serbian
+ ...
A bit embarassing Dec 18, 2009

My name is Vuk Vujoševic.
I have great problem when writting it.
I think you uderstend why.
All westeners pronounce V as F and consider what confussion it makes.
I need your symphaty.

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
Czech to English
+ ...
Not quite the same, but still amusing... Dec 18, 2009

When I lived in Prague, I'd get post addressed to Mr. Jennifer Gordon or even Mr. Gordon Jennifer.

I assume that it was because the computer (or person?) didn't see Gordonová so thought I was male.

Still, the best one on this post has to be Demonic Temple!

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
English to Russian
+ ...
lots of fun with my name Dec 19, 2009

The typical mistake is to spell my name as Matalia Botashnik. While I understand that it may not be easy to get my last name right, but why Matalia??? I am often called Natalie too, but this does not upset me as much as Matalia. Is there such a name?

My last name gets mispelled so often that at some point I started to collect different versions of it, but then after a while I gave up. There were so many of them and some did not even resemble my name at all.

I knew a g
... See more
The typical mistake is to spell my name as Matalia Botashnik. While I understand that it may not be easy to get my last name right, but why Matalia??? I am often called Natalie too, but this does not upset me as much as Matalia. Is there such a name?

My last name gets mispelled so often that at some point I started to collect different versions of it, but then after a while I gave up. There were so many of them and some did not even resemble my name at all.

I knew a girl whose name is Caroline Joseph. She regularly receives mail addressed to Mr. Joseph Caroline.
Collapse

Aleksandar Stanković
Aleksandar Stanković
North Macedonia
English to Serbian
+ ...
The name gets misspelt, and the surname mispronounced Dec 19, 2009

Stanković is probably among the ten most common Serbian last names, and, to my best of knowledge, Aleksandar is the second most common first name in the world (second only to Muhammad, which btw also has its own share of versions and misspellings).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Aleksandar is the Serbian version of Alexander, but apparently it does take one to spell it correctly. Many an email has been sent to certain Aleksanders, Alexandars, Alesandars, Alek
... See more
Stanković is probably among the ten most common Serbian last names, and, to my best of knowledge, Aleksandar is the second most common first name in the world (second only to Muhammad, which btw also has its own share of versions and misspellings).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Aleksandar is the Serbian version of Alexander, but apparently it does take one to spell it correctly. Many an email has been sent to certain Aleksanders, Alexandars, Alesandars, Aleksandros etc. The problem gets ameliated after a couple of exchanges as the tone drops to informal and I irreversibly become Alex.

It is somewhat more tricky with the last name which is always mispronounced by foreigners. This is because the last letter with its corresponding grapheme Ć and phoneme t͡ɕ (the voiceless alveolo-palatal affricate) does not exist in English. Many immigrants of Serbian origin have americanized their last names either by ending them with CH (like Sen. George Voinovich), or with C (like Weird Al Yankovic). Thus my last name shares the fate of all Serbian last names and gets mispronounced either as Stankovich or as Stankovick.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
"M" Dec 19, 2009

Some Brazilians think my first name (Amy) is the letter "M" (pronounced Ay-mee, more or less). When they write it, it's either "Emi" or "Emy". When they see it written, some pronounce it as "Ah-MEE". Duncan has improved since the singer Zélia Duncan became a big star here, but it's still basically "Doon-kahn". When I lived in the USA, my last name was often spelled "Ducan" or (of course) "Dunkin" (as in donut). Arghhh!

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Misspellings, mispronounciations... Dec 19, 2009

What would you do if upon spelling your surname you got a stunned "Are you kidding?" from 80% of your native English respondents? The well-mannered alternative is "Excuse me, Madam, but could you please repeat that for me? I seem to have missed all the vowels..."
And both me and my kid work from/into English all the time... we should have embarked on a different language pair, probably.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Patricia Rosas, please! Dec 19, 2009

All my life, people have messed with my first name--not making mistakes, but intentionally calling me by nicknames (some I can live with; others I can't!).

Pat
Patti
Patty
Paty (Mexico)
Pati (Mexico)
Trish
Trisha
Tricia
Patsy
Pattie (think burger)

And then there's Rosas, and here people do make mistakes: Rojas, of course, is the most common, but it also cracks me up when someone starts calling me Patricia Rosa (as my
... See more
All my life, people have messed with my first name--not making mistakes, but intentionally calling me by nicknames (some I can live with; others I can't!).

Pat
Patti
Patty
Paty (Mexico)
Pati (Mexico)
Trish
Trisha
Tricia
Patsy
Pattie (think burger)

And then there's Rosas, and here people do make mistakes: Rojas, of course, is the most common, but it also cracks me up when someone starts calling me Patricia Rosa (as my first and MIDDLE name). And then there is the weirder one: Wilson. I'll say "This is Patricia Rosas calling" and the person will respond: "Ms. Wilson." This has happened dozens of times. Wilson was my maiden name, but I know I'm not slipping up. Sometimes, I'll repeat Rosas several times, and the other person will still hear "WILSON"!

Thanks for letting me vent!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misspelt Names

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »