NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:12
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Iza: Spelling, yes, and how about pronunciation? Dec 20, 2009

I'd be interested to learn how Anglos mangle your name (and BTW the right pronunciation would be helpful to this Anglo...)

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:12
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Archie speaking... Dec 20, 2009

During our happy times in Richmond Hill Ont, the kids in the neighbourhood started to call me Archie (like in Bunker). Huh!?

It was rather simple and sweet: my three kids called me "Oči" - deminutive of father, oče, in Slovenian, and the others naturally followed (note that in Canada everybody and his grandmother are on the first name basis). So that's how I got baptized again, this time to Archibald. My daughter still calls me Archie.

I worked at Carl Zeiss Ltd/L
... See more
During our happy times in Richmond Hill Ont, the kids in the neighbourhood started to call me Archie (like in Bunker). Huh!?

It was rather simple and sweet: my three kids called me "Oči" - deminutive of father, oče, in Slovenian, and the others naturally followed (note that in Canada everybody and his grandmother are on the first name basis). So that's how I got baptized again, this time to Archibald. My daughter still calls me Archie.

I worked at Carl Zeiss Ltd/Ltee. It did not help my company to be among the ten best recognized brands. We still got letters, addressed to Zice, Ziess. Carl's Ice etc. The best (and very Canadian) however was the letter that started with "Dear Charlie".

Regardss

Vito, aka Archie
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
PUAL Dec 20, 2009

Paul Dixon wrote:

I wonder if any other ProZians can beat my record of how many different misspellings of a personal name have been used in correspondence, on credit cards etc.

My record:

First Name (Paul): PAL, POL, POUL, POOL, POU and PAU.

POOL seems to be the most common.

Surname (Dixon): DIXAN, DIXIN, DUXSAN, TIXAN and TEXAN.

All about the same in frequency.

I was amazed at the number of ways in which Paul could be misspelled, but equally surprised not to see the one dyslexic mistake my brother Paul was subjected to for years: PUAL.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misspelt Names

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »