Tópico cartaz: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
Local time: 15:57
inglês para chinês
Nov 8, 2011

Dear MemoQ users,

I received a user's manual to translate that contains a table of contains with entries that are linked to the same text in later pages. Do I just treat the text in TOC as regular text, translate it and the translation will be propagated in later segments, or do I need to prepare the file in order for the TOC to be properly processed in MemoQ?

Thank you for enlightening me on this.

Chun-yi

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Reino Unido
Local time: 23:57
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
From my experience Nov 8, 2011

When you add the files to the project, you should choose "Add document as" then you will see a window with import options, if its a word file, choose to import as docx, in another section there is Content to import and there is a check box "Import index", mark it and finish. Then just translate as normal.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
inglês para chinês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thank you for your super fast answer!! Nov 8, 2011

Dear Paula,

Thank you so much for your answer. This is exactly what I needed. I always get cold feet when I need to handle table of contents in the CAT environment. I am so glad to hear that it can be done so easily in MemoQ!

So just to verify, I should still import the file as docx even if it's in doc format?

Thanks again!

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2011-11-08 17:04 GMT]

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Reino Unido
Local time: 23:57
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
That is what I do Nov 8, 2011

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

So just to verify, I should still import the file as docx even if it's in doc format?

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2011-11-08 17:04 GMT]

That's what I do and I haven't had any problems.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
inglês para chinês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
I will happily follow your advice Nov 8, 2011

Hi Paula,

I will do what you suggested. I remember when I had problems with doc files, MemoQ support engineers advised me to reimport the file as docx. I will resave these doc files as docx and reimport them to MemoQ then.
Thanks again for sharing your expertise with me. Good night!

Chun-yi

Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 00:57
Membro (2010)
alemão para inglês
Import index or Import TOC? Nov 18, 2011

Hi guys!

I'm also faced with the same task as Chun-yi.

I followed Paula's instructions but I get LOADS of tags in the table of contents part which means that none of the headings are auto-propagated further on in the file... =/ Am I doing something wrong? What is the difference between the check boxes "Import index" and "Import TOC"? What do they actually do?

Thanks for your help!

Dot

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
inglês para chinês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
my two cents Nov 18, 2011

Hi Dorothy,

I just exported the MemoQ file back to the original Word format and everything looks good except that the TOC is in English. I guess it's intended this way. I then right clicked on the TOC, choose "Update Field", and then a window would pop up asking whether you want to update page numbers only or update entire table. I selected update entire table and the TOC was succesfully updated with the corresponding translations in the document.

I can't remember
... See more
Hi Dorothy,

I just exported the MemoQ file back to the original Word format and everything looks good except that the TOC is in English. I guess it's intended this way. I then right clicked on the TOC, choose "Update Field", and then a window would pop up asking whether you want to update page numbers only or update entire table. I selected update entire table and the TOC was succesfully updated with the corresponding translations in the document.

I can't remember what exactly I did when importing the file, but I do remember I followed the steps Paula said. And I think MemoQ hides the TOC text for me in the imported file. It makes sense to update the TOC directly in the Word file afterwards.

I hope this helps. Now I need to go back to the translated file and prepare for delivery.

Good luck!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
inglês para chinês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
my conclusion after some testing Nov 25, 2011

Hi Dorothy,

I finally got a chance to test the file using different settings in MemoQ and here is my conclusion:

You can simply open a docx file (I didn't test the doc format, but I guess it would be similar) using Add Document. MemoQ will ignore the table of contents and you can use the Update Field to update the TOC by right clicking on the TOC in the translated Word file. Remember to first "update entire table" and then to "update page numbers only". I found that
... See more
Hi Dorothy,

I finally got a chance to test the file using different settings in MemoQ and here is my conclusion:

You can simply open a docx file (I didn't test the doc format, but I guess it would be similar) using Add Document. MemoQ will ignore the table of contents and you can use the Update Field to update the TOC by right clicking on the TOC in the translated Word file. Remember to first "update entire table" and then to "update page numbers only". I found that if you only do "update entire table", the page numbers in the TOC do not get updated.

You can also use the method Paula suggested, which uses "Import As". With this one, you just select "import index", not "import TOC". If you select both of them, the TOC will be incorrectly formatted in the translated document.

If you happen to have reference page numbers within the document, these will not get updated automatically with either method. You would still need to update each one manually. If someone knows how to globally update the reference page numbers in a document, I would be very interested to get the know-how.

I hope this information helps.

Chun-yi
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I handle table of contents in MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »