Breno Pires
Breno Pires
Brazil
Local time: 09:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 2, 2013

Hello fellow translators

I'm in a sort of bind right now, trying to chain two different operations in MemoQ 2013, but they don't seem to even talk to each other.

tl;dr: is there a way to use option "multilingual delimited text filter" and apply segmentation rules in the imported document?

I am trying to create a new and solid TM from a current huge project. I have some segmentation rules adde
... See more
Hello fellow translators

I'm in a sort of bind right now, trying to chain two different operations in MemoQ 2013, but they don't seem to even talk to each other.

tl;dr: is there a way to use option "multilingual delimited text filter" and apply segmentation rules in the imported document?

I am trying to create a new and solid TM from a current huge project. I have some segmentation rules added to handle XHTML tags and split them into isolated segments, and so have I worked for the last revisions of this project.

Now I need to make a new TM with the current contents of the whole project, but using option "multilingual delimited text filter" with an Excel file does not apply those same rules. I even tried an XLIFF file that fills both Source and Translation columns, but the segmentation rules are wholly ignored.

Could anyone please shed some light into the issue? I even tried to segment with regex on Notepad++, but I'm getting a different number of segments between the two languages due to source bogus tags and other manual joined segments.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

TheAlphaSens (X)
TheAlphaSens (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:16
English to French
Why not using the usual Excel filter instead? Jul 2, 2013

You cannot apply a new segmentation rule once a file has been imported (and the Multilingual filter ignores all rules).

Why don't you try using the usual Excel filter in your case? It will require a few copy-paste to prep your file before import but at least your segmentation rule will be taken into account.

[Edited at 2013-07-02 23:37 GMT]

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 14:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The Multilingual Delimited Text filter's non-segmentation is intentional Jul 3, 2013

Hi Breno,

The multilingual delimited text filter does not apply segmentation rules. The reason is that this way we can import a multilingual Excel or CSV file with a perfect alignment in all languages. Usually multilingual files in Excel contain short segments, which can be up to a few sentences, and this is why we don't segment - the benefit of using segmentation does not counter the human work overhead of alignment.

István

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multilingual delimited text filter + Segmentation rules

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »