Ivan Tobias
Ivan Tobias  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
Slovak to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2015

Hi guys,

I am trying out MemoQ now and I was wondering whether there is a way to select multiple segments that I could then copy and paste into MS Word.

I need to have several segments machine translated and the easiest way would be to select them by highlighting them to copy and paste them into MS Word or Google Translate for further processing. I know how to highlight multiple rows but it does not actually allow me to copy and paste them unless I click inside an indi
... See more
Hi guys,

I am trying out MemoQ now and I was wondering whether there is a way to select multiple segments that I could then copy and paste into MS Word.

I need to have several segments machine translated and the easiest way would be to select them by highlighting them to copy and paste them into MS Word or Google Translate for further processing. I know how to highlight multiple rows but it does not actually allow me to copy and paste them unless I click inside an individual segment (source or target). If you know the way to resolve this, I would really appreciate your input.

Cheers

Ivan
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Export doc as RTF Jun 26, 2015

In your project's document view, right-click document, select Export bilingual and choose Two-column RTF.

Then work with that RTF.

[Edited at 2015-06-26 15:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-26 15:39 GMT]

Ivan Tobias
Ivan Tobias  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Jun 26, 2015

Thanks. That works like a charm. I will actually use this to translate the remainder of the file using Workbench. Once I have done that and have a final DOC or RTF file or whichever may be necessary as well as a TRADOS TM, is there a way to populate/update the MemoQ TM and thus complete the original MemoQ file, if you know what I mean?

Cheers

Ivan

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Consider XLIFF as the intermediate format instead Jun 26, 2015

If you want to work with a document with a different CAT tool, I would suggest exporting an XLIFF file. In the 'Export bilingual' dialog, select memoQ XLIFF but don't forget to click the link [Plain XLIFF for other tools].

After you're done, import your TM from the other CAT tool into your MemoQ TM, and then apply it to the document (when the document is open, select Operations -> Pre-translate).

Not sure why you'd want to go through all this just to utilize MT... but w
... See more
If you want to work with a document with a different CAT tool, I would suggest exporting an XLIFF file. In the 'Export bilingual' dialog, select memoQ XLIFF but don't forget to click the link [Plain XLIFF for other tools].

After you're done, import your TM from the other CAT tool into your MemoQ TM, and then apply it to the document (when the document is open, select Operations -> Pre-translate).

Not sure why you'd want to go through all this just to utilize MT... but whatever

P.S. In case you have the original source file at hand, you may be able to just skip the XLIFF thing and work with that source file, then import the TM into MemoQ. This is prone to some risk though, as different CAT tools handle segmentation differently. XLIFF is safe in that regard.

[Edited at 2015-06-26 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selecting and editing various segments

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »