Urgent help needed: transferring of an ongoing project from Studio 2011 to MemoQ 2014
Thread poster: Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:13
German to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2015

Hello all,

currently, I am working on a project in Studio 2011. It is a huge project of about 3000 segments and 56000 words.

The original file is in word format and I created the project in Studio 2011 and began to work. As I have a rather comprehensive TM on that subject, I didn't realize that there was a problem. Then I found out that probably due to a bug (as I found out here in forums), untranslated segments are being confirmed all by themselves...
See more
Hello all,

currently, I am working on a project in Studio 2011. It is a huge project of about 3000 segments and 56000 words.

The original file is in word format and I created the project in Studio 2011 and began to work. As I have a rather comprehensive TM on that subject, I didn't realize that there was a problem. Then I found out that probably due to a bug (as I found out here in forums), untranslated segments are being confirmed all by themselves A rather unpleasant case.

I have the trial version of MemoQ 2014 which was waiting aside to be discovered and although it may not be the best way to start, my other option is office-word. I want to give it a shot.

I have an original word doc, and a half-translated one, and the corresponding sdlxliff, etc. files (all files needed for a Studio 2011 project).

I want to start translating my file in MemoQ.

I want to keep my work completed up to now (about 6 days of translation). I completed an important volume of work but I cannot confirm them and to TM because they are not completed yet. I need to keep my draft segments.

So, my question is:

Is it possible or how is it possible to pick up my project from Studio 2011 and include it into MemoQ so that I can immediately start translating my file (very tight deadline)?

I am not computer illiterate, but it is not my best qualification neither.

Thanks in advance...
Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
English to Russian
SDLXLIFF Sep 9, 2015

Sorry, I don't know about the whole project transfer from Studio to MemoQ. But you certainly can transfer SDLXLIFF files - MemoQ opens it OK. Partly translated SDLXLIFF files are in you project folder, in subfolder with your target language name. Don't forget to copy these files in another folder.
Good luck!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for prompt answer :) Sep 9, 2015

As far as I got it correctly,

1) I will prepare a project in MemoQ

2) I will copy the files in Studio and replace the corresponding files in MemoQ?

(thanks for reminding; I will have my back-ups)

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Right Sep 9, 2015

Yes Elif, upon completion of your translation of SDLXLIFF file in Memo, you shall export the ready SDLXLIFF (pay attention that it has exactly the same name that it had before you have taken it for translation) and copy it into the mentioned folder of SDL project overwriting the original file inside of it. Then open Studio and the file, and confirm the translation of segments. Export the ready Word-file.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 04:57 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found an easier way as directed by memoQ. Sep 9, 2015

While I was desperately reading all the information I gathered, I came across a guide prepared by Kilgray for this purpose. I was not sure whether it would work for my case, and fortunately it did.

Basically, I prepared a project package in Studio 2011, included everything (TMs, TBs) and imported that very package into MemoQ.

Thank you for your help.

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
As you wish Sep 9, 2015

Yes Elif, this method (by Kilgray) is quite good for novices.
Yet, those old and wise prefer to have more control over the process

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Sep 9, 2015

VIP9N wrote:

Yet, those old and wise prefer to have more control over the process

And they are right

I was prepared to take the steps as described by you and Enote, but when I found this guide, I didn't hesitate to take its path.

I am tired and under enormous stress and very prone to mistakes, which, in this case, would be a disaster for me..

Once I deliver the project, I will take my time to explore MemoQ and I guess I'll be loving it.

Thanks again

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Btw, just as a second check, Sep 9, 2015

I prepared the package and imported it to MemoQ and then worked with it.

Then I had to export that xliff file back to 2011 to open. It worked without any problems.

While this is not the most practical way of working, this is my only current solution..

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Return package Sep 9, 2015

If your version of Studio allows you to create packages, you can create a return package in memoQ. When you are done with your translation in memoQ, just 'Export Active Document'. In case of Studio's packages, this creates a return package (sdlrpx, not xliff). You can easily open it in Studio without any need to extract xliff from memoQ, substitute it for your faulty file in Studio, etc.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 19:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help needed: transferring of an ongoing project from Studio 2011 to MemoQ 2014

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »