Finland
Local time: 20:31
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2016

Hi!

I have a file with hundreds of segments in the following format:

< NON_TRANSLATABLE_TAGS>:Translatable text

(Ignore the first space, without it the text doesn't show correctly.)

While the tag text changes, there are numerous segments with the exact same translatable text, which could be automatically translated using auto propagation. My issue is that MemoQ considers everything from the beginning < to the end of the first translatable word
... See more
Hi!

I have a file with hundreds of segments in the following format:

< NON_TRANSLATABLE_TAGS>:Translatable text

(Ignore the first space, without it the text doesn't show correctly.)

While the tag text changes, there are numerous segments with the exact same translatable text, which could be automatically translated using auto propagation. My issue is that MemoQ considers everything from the beginning < to the end of the first translatable word (everything preceding the first space) to be one word, so the term is not detected correctly. Is there a way to make MemoQ ignore the initial colon so that it would detect the terms correctly? I have searched here, in the MemoQ help pages and inside the program with no luck.

[Edited at 2016-04-08 11:20 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try Import markup as memoQ {tags} Apr 8, 2016

I am not sure if you really mean _terms_ (you can set all new terms as 'Fuzzy').
If you do not mean _terms_, but common translation, you can try to import a file with options (Import with options... -> Change filter configuration) and check the radio button 'Import markup as memoQ {tags}'. When doing so, _all_ tags will appear as {1}, {2}, {3}, ... {n}.
Maybe this hepls you.
(If you want this behavior to be by default, then choose Change filter configuration for all.)

[E
... See more
I am not sure if you really mean _terms_ (you can set all new terms as 'Fuzzy').
If you do not mean _terms_, but common translation, you can try to import a file with options (Import with options... -> Change filter configuration) and check the radio button 'Import markup as memoQ {tags}'. When doing so, _all_ tags will appear as {1}, {2}, {3}, ... {n}.
Maybe this hepls you.
(If you want this behavior to be by default, then choose Change filter configuration for all.)

[Edited at 2016-04-08 21:41 GMT]
Collapse

Oskari Tulonen
Oskari Tulonen
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No source file, should probably check with PM in the future... Apr 9, 2016

Thank you Stepan for your reply. To be honest, I do not really care whether they would be treated as terms or common translation, as long as MemoQ would recognize them and suggest the translations. The problem is I do not have the source file, since it was imported into MemoQ by the PM. They usually do change markup to tags, so I am not entirely sure why not this time - I suppose I could have asked them to do that before getting too far with work.

The project is already completed, s
... See more
Thank you Stepan for your reply. To be honest, I do not really care whether they would be treated as terms or common translation, as long as MemoQ would recognize them and suggest the translations. The problem is I do not have the source file, since it was imported into MemoQ by the PM. They usually do change markup to tags, so I am not entirely sure why not this time - I suppose I could have asked them to do that before getting too far with work.

The project is already completed, so it is a bit late to try any tricks at this point, but I am still interested in the topic and would like to know of any other possibilities to do this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Match terms with initial delimiter

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »