How to get text portion ("Mpps") recognized by TB in "66Mpps"
Thread poster: pjg111
pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
English to French
Apr 23, 2016

Hi everybody,

What would the proper syntax be to get the "Mpps" portion recognized by the TB when it is stuck to the preceding figures like in

"66Mpps".

Very often English source text writers concatenate figures and measurement units into one single word and I would like the measurement unit portion to be recognized by the TB and shown in the TB list.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Patrick

CD_Schuster
CD_Schuster
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Auto-translation should do the job Apr 24, 2016

Hi Patrick,

I believe this is something for which the "Auto-translation" feature is better suited.

(In case you are unfamiliar with auto-translation rules, see http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015/help-full-en/index.html?edit_auto_translatables.html for instructions on how to set them up.)

The following rule should work for
... See more
Hi Patrick,

I believe this is something for which the "Auto-translation" feature is better suited.

(In case you are unfamiliar with auto-translation rules, see http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015/help-full-en/index.html?edit_auto_translatables.html for instructions on how to set them up.)

The following rule should work for your example (replace targetterm with your desired translation):

Auto-translation rule: Mpps
Replace order rule: targetterm

Now you should receive green entries in the Translation results list for every occurence of "Mpps" with "targetterm" as the suggested translation, even with a random number directly preceding it.

If the measurement unit is the same in the source and target language, you could use a "Non-Translatable" list as an alternative to the above.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,
Christopher

[Edited at 2016-04-24 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
"Mpps" was just an example. I'm in search of a method for any measurement unit concatenated Apr 25, 2016

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for your help.

Unfortunately I would like to find a generic method for any strings such as

100Mpps
50cm
2.5mm
25lb

and so on which have in common measurement unit concatenated with the preceding figures.

I'm not sure such a method is available.

Cheers.

Patrick

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 04:26
English to Russian
Use autotranslation rules Apr 25, 2016

Hello Patrick,

There is no way to display these as term hits.

You should use customized autotranslation rules with custom lists. In the autotranslation rule, you need to switch to Translation Pairs tab and set up a list called something like #units#, then add all the possible units of measurements with their translations (or use the original text on the destination side). In the Replace Order Rules column, refer to the translation of the captured unit by the ordinal pos
... See more
Hello Patrick,

There is no way to display these as term hits.

You should use customized autotranslation rules with custom lists. In the autotranslation rule, you need to switch to Translation Pairs tab and set up a list called something like #units#, then add all the possible units of measurements with their translations (or use the original text on the destination side). In the Replace Order Rules column, refer to the translation of the captured unit by the ordinal position syntax (e.g. $9).

Here's an example
Autotranslation rule: (?<!(,|\.|\d|\d\s|\d'|\d’))([-|\u2212]?[\d]{1,3})(?:\.|,|\s|'|’)(\d\d\d)(?:\.|,|\s|'|’)?(\d\d\d)(?!([,\.\s'’]\d|[/.,](-|--|–)|\d))[\u0020\u00A0]?(#units#)\b
Replace order rule: $2 $3 $4 $9

This autotranslation rule will recognize certain types of numbers where the number is separated from the unit of measurement by a space, non-breaking space or nothing (as in your case), and offer the automatic translation of that number together with the unit of measurement so that the translation of the unit of measurement is separated from the last digit by a non-breaking space.

Obviously, you will need to update the list of units of measurement every time you encounter a new one.

Best regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again to Christopher and Stanislav Apr 25, 2016

Hi, Stanislav,

Thanks for your explanation. It meets Christopher's. I will look into the matter as soon as I can.

Cheers.

Patrick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get text portion ("Mpps") recognized by TB in "66Mpps"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »