Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 14, 2016

Hello everyone

Those of you who are wizards at MemoQ tagging, how would you tag the following translation? I colour coded the matching pieces of text, since you probably don't speak Afrikaans.

memoq tagging conundrum

I'm the 2nd proofreader of this translation, and neither the translator nor the 1st proofreader had bothered to attempt the tagging of this segment. I won't be seeing the final file, so I have to be sure the formatting is correct upon delivery.

Good luck!
Samuel

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
goes beyond normal translation work Oct 14, 2016

Samuel you have my sympathy.
This is more of a job for a Ph.D. thesis than an everyday translation and is an extreme illustration of the drawbacks of tagging for texts. My approach would be to point out the problem to the client and suggest that the final edit be done on the clean target doc.
I would even go so far as to say I would be surprised if anyone can actually come up with a tag solution to this conundrum in a reasonable amount of translator time!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Anthony Oct 14, 2016

Anthony Green wrote:
I would be surprised if anyone can actually come up with a tag solution to this conundrum in a reasonable amount of translator time!

Reasonable amount of translator time, indeed.

However, I think I might have cracked the MemoQ secret (or, maybe not). It occurs to me that there may be only two formattings in this segment -- non-formatted text tagged by tags 1 and 2, and special-formatted text tagged by tags 3 and 4. If this theory is correct, then it would mean that I simply identify the pieces of text that must be special-formatted, and put {2][3} at the start of each such instance, and put {4][1} at the end of each such instance, and then finish it off by adding [1} to the start of the segment and {2] to the end of it.

It's bound to be flagged by a tag checker, however.

In the image below, I have highlighted the text that I speculate are special-formatted (represented by bold-italic in the final text). Can anyone confirm if this is the correct solution to the MemoQ tagging mystery?

memoq tagging conundrum2

[Edited at 2016-10-14 08:27 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Conundrum indeed! Oct 18, 2016

Samuel, YOU are the MemoQ tagging wizard! But be honest, you're getting a kick out of this kind of things, don't you?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ tagging conundrum

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »