Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:34
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Perhaps they'll do it like Microsoft Office Aug 25, 2023

Perhaps they'll change their model to mimic what Microsoft does with Office.

You can either buy, say, Office 2021 and pay once, or Office 365 and pay yearly. When Office 2024 comes, you'll most likely be enticed by the new features and be tempted to pay for a new perpetual license. At that point, you might realise that you would have paid almost the same amount of money with a 365 subscription during the course of three years, with the added benefit of continuous updates.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:34
Danish to English
+ ...
Microsoft Aug 25, 2023

The subscription model looks like Microsoft's model, but memoQ hasn't said anything about ending the perpetual licence + annual SMA (not offered by MS) model, so the subscription option looks like a (not very interesting) alternative, not a replacement.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
My bet Aug 26, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I think they might be onto something big.

They will probably introduce some AI technology, I guess.

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus
Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:34
Dutch to Spanish
Well Sep 24, 2023

I have not renewed my license for 6 years, now if I 'd resuscribe they are asking me 864 euros (6x144) before I can use there latest version. Not totally sure about this model... I could just start from zero at 720 euro.... 🤷‍♂️

[Edited at 2023-09-24 17:38 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Christel Zipfel

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:34
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Same here... Sep 25, 2023

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus wrote:

I have not renewed my license for 6 years, now if I 'd resuscribe they are asking me 864 euros (6x144) before I can use there latest version. Not totally sure about this model... I could just start from zero at 720 euro.... 🤷‍♂️

[Edited at 2023-09-24 17:38 GMT]

In my case, they wanted 1.200EUR, when you can buy a new version for half the price. Still, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by asking such an exorbitant price. But I guess agencies are their target now. The model these days is for agencies to give you a license and work online - which sucks, since you can't use your resources.

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:34
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Buy? Sep 25, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

In my case, they wanted 1.200EUR, when you can buy a new version for half the price.

I'm afraid you cannot buy this software, you have to pay for a user licence. Big difference!

[Edited at 2023-09-25 15:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ support - still good (or alive)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »