How to manually add a new translation vs updating an existing one?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:29
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2023

Hello.

In Trados, if you want to add a new translation for an existing TU, you have a shortcut for that. I don't see anything similar in MemoQ.

Sometimes I want to update an existing TU, sometimes I need to add a new TU so I can have multiple versions. That is important in languages that use postfixes and context is not enough. Furthermore, there is a penalty applied to TUs with multiple translations, I can't find that option under TM settings.

I already ha
... See more
Hello.

In Trados, if you want to add a new translation for an existing TU, you have a shortcut for that. I don't see anything similar in MemoQ.

Sometimes I want to update an existing TU, sometimes I need to add a new TU so I can have multiple versions. That is important in languages that use postfixes and context is not enough. Furthermore, there is a penalty applied to TUs with multiple translations, I can't find that option under TM settings.

I already have a TM that allows multiple translations but I want to be able to do it manually.

Thanks

[Edited at 2023-09-25 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
By editing the TM? Sep 26, 2023

If your TM already allows multiple translations for the source segment, it should take in the new segment and keep it as it has a different context. In any case, and although this might sound a bit complicated: edit your TM and, while you see the grid of segments, use the New (Ctrl+N) command to add a new pair.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:29
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 27, 2023

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

If your TM already allows multiple translations for the source segment, it should take in the new segment and keep it as it has a different context. In any case, and although this might sound a bit complicated: edit your TM and, while you see the grid of segments, use the New (Ctrl+N) command to add a new pair.

Thank you Tomás. That is indeed a way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to manually add a new translation vs updating an existing one?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »