Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Visual aspects and implications for the business relationship (ethical dilemma)
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:51
French to English
. Feb 11, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

And is it also necessary to wear a tie to coordinate a team of translators?
In my humble opinion, the best way to create a good impression is by being your authentic self, because it will make you feel more confident, helps you to build trust, and earn respect and integrity from the people you meet.
Of course, in business and social meetings, appropriate dress also varies between countries and cultures, so it's something that one should pay particular attention to, and so Mihai.
I don't like ties and I don't like to form first impressions of a person based on his/her looks. What matters to me is individuals who have brains.

As I said in the message previous to the one where I specifically answered you, no a tie is not necessary. A clean, well-ironed shirt or a polo shirt can work fine.
I don't like the fact that people are judged by what they wear. I got into trouble way back in my 20s for wearing a Greenpeace T-shirt as a teacher at a company that supplies military aircraft to the French government LOL.

It's not just a matter of first impressions either, actually. When I'm interacting with people, I find it helps to be well-dressed. I've noticed that I walk tall and brisk when wearing my cashmere coat and smart boots, and I slouch when wearing a shapeless hoodie and ancient jeans. It definitely has an effect on my attitude and efficiency.

Although for translation at least, efficiency can also mean wearing clothes that can withstand a visit to the muddy dog park, i.e. the good old hoodie and jeans, and I don't want to be changing in and out of clothes all day.

@Baran, I love that you photoshopped yourself into a suit and tie, if that's enough to make a good impression, well done!

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sharp Mar 10, 2022

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Tom, you can sport your new gentleman attire, next time I'll come to London. I'll be wearing something smart myself, in order to try and match your predominantly male handsomeness with my feminine guile, and I'm sure we'll smash it out of the park.

London won't know what hit it: I'm going to paint the town all shades of magnolia beige. Watch this space.

I do own a sharp lightweight Italian suit. It's in a plastic protective cover, somewhere at the back of my wardrobe. And I have a selection of interesting ties. So I'm ready when you are. I'll get a few receptions lined up. You know - book presentations at the Foreign Office, that sort of thing.

P.L.F. Persio

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 10:51
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dressing code Mar 10, 2022

To start, you look professional because of the dressing code, which itself manifests in different ways so what's the proportion we attribute to seeming reasons. We need to dig deep.
Written works don't need to talk much or a video but nowadays it seems a video introduction will be becoming more and more dominant.

[Edited at 2022-03-10 09:53 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visual aspects and implications for the business relationship (ethical dilemma)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »