Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Visual aspects and implications for the business relationship (ethical dilemma)
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 17:43
English to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 10, 2022

Let's say a client has a big long-term project and thought you might be the right person to coordinate it. Because the stakes are so high, the client wants to make sure you are indeed the competent person your CV suggestd you are. They invite you for an interview. You accept to go, but there is an issue. You only wear a tie in photos. What do you do? Look for an excuse not to go or just go wearing your usual suit + T-shirt?

This is just for illustrative purposes:

... See more
Let's say a client has a big long-term project and thought you might be the right person to coordinate it. Because the stakes are so high, the client wants to make sure you are indeed the competent person your CV suggestd you are. They invite you for an interview. You accept to go, but there is an issue. You only wear a tie in photos. What do you do? Look for an excuse not to go or just go wearing your usual suit + T-shirt?

This is just for illustrative purposes:

https://youtu.be/3wOttc_zszQ
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A tie? Feb 10, 2022

Since 2006 when I decided to freelance again no one has ever invited me for an interview.

P.S. I wonder if your question is gender-biased? I swear I’ve never wore a tie in my entire life even when I worked as staff translator.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Barbara Carrara
Adieu
Robert Rietvelt

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do not understand that dilemma... Feb 10, 2022

... and I am sorry for my ignorance.
What do ties have to do with the competence of a (male) translator?
Like Teresa, I have never been in any interview related to translation and I don't like to see men wearing ties.
The more casual, the better. We should be ourselves, without "decorations"... and the most important is to really demonstrate that you are competent for the client's task. The client will not care about that (formal) attire, but about the final (and good) work y
... See more
Like Teresa, I have never been in any interview related to translation and I don't like to see men wearing ties.
The more casual, the better. We should be ourselves, without "decorations"... and the most important is to really demonstrate that you are competent for the client's task. The client will not care about that (formal) attire, but about the final (and good) work you provide him with.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
Jorge Payan
Evgeny Sidorenko
Barbara Carrara
philgoddard

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Looking tidy is normal business etiquette Feb 10, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
Look for an excuse not to go or just go wearing your usual suit + T-shirt?

Although different people have different ideas about what constitutes "neat and tidy" or "professional-looking", you should try to look that way anyway on video chats with anyone who is not a friend or family member. If you believe you can look professional in a T-shirt, then do that, but it can't hurt to put on a jumper or jacket if it will make you look nicer. Showing too much skin can also create an unprofessional impression, so get something with long sleeves, with a neckline that doesn't go lower than your collar bone. It's true that the way you dress shouldn't be a reflection on the quality of your work or your ability or skill, but in reality, people respond positively to appealing visuals, and you are a business person after all.

[Edited at 2022-02-10 17:57 GMT]

MollyRose
Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Tina Vonhof (X)
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translators don't wear ties Feb 10, 2022

Freelance translators don't wear ties. To start with we're predominantly females and most of the male freelance translators working from home prefer more comfortable clothing too. I’ve only done an introductory Zoom with two clients but, in hindsight, I would have looked ridiculous in tie and suit.

Cheers,
Gerard

Evgeny Sidorenko
Barbara Carrara
philgoddard
Adieu
Metin Demirel

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dictating dress codes? Feb 11, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Showing too much skin can also create an unprofessional impression, so get something with long sleeves, with a neckline that doesn't go lower than your collar bone.

I must be extremely unprofessional, then, given that all I show in my profile picture is skin.

I'd better go and get me something more appealing and chaste to please and appease my virtual audience, before they set the stake for my demise.

This dress-code thread reminds me of all the incidents that have come up on Zoom interviews in recent years, where smartly dressed 'professionals', looking their part in ther perfectly ironed shirts and ties and jackets, revealed that all they wore below the desk was a pair of grandpa-style briefs (that's how I remember those, anyway) and short socks.

Mihai (Hello. Again.), there's no 'dilemma' here, let alone an 'ethical' one. And this is definitely not a 'business issue'. But if you think otherwise, then why are you using a ghost-like silhouette on your profile page, instead of your professional wardrobe? Just saying.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 06:35 GMT]

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ties Feb 11, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

The more casual, the better. We should be ourselves, without "decorations"... and the most important is to really demonstrate that you are competent for the client's task. The client will not care about that (formal) attire, but about the final (and good) work you provide him with.

I haven't worn a tie for 20 years. But I'm always thinking about buying an expensive, well made suit and wearing it with a good tie and a nice shirt. But then where would I go? To the supermarket?

Adieu
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Predomination Feb 11, 2022

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Freelance translators don't wear ties. To start with we're predominantly females
Gerard

I am predominantly male.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Adieu
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Daryo

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 11, 2022

It sucks but appearances do matter for in-person and video meetings.

If you're a guy, as your name appears to suggest, then a suit and tie would definitely look pro. It's the classy go-to for men. And you're lucky because that suit can be worn for as long as it fits, you can trot it out for weddings and funerals and any other occasion when you need to look smart (we women have more problems with changing fit, not to mention changing fashion).

Although if you look awkwa
... See more
It sucks but appearances do matter for in-person and video meetings.

If you're a guy, as your name appears to suggest, then a suit and tie would definitely look pro. It's the classy go-to for men. And you're lucky because that suit can be worn for as long as it fits, you can trot it out for weddings and funerals and any other occasion when you need to look smart (we women have more problems with changing fit, not to mention changing fashion).

Although if you look awkward wearing it, you should perhaps go for something else. A polo shirt can still look smart, or a turtleneck sweater that fits well. It's best to look as smart as possible while remaining comfortable.

Unless the translation is for a video game in which case, dress down to look like gamers.

...Mind you, a young guy I know has set up his own business in video games, and he now wears a suit and tie to look the part of a businessman. He says it's made such a good impression, he's pretty sure that it's got him places. He was photographed at a trade fair as an example of a Bright Upcoming Entrepreneur, symbolic of Macron's Start-up Nation alongside a local Big Noise in Politics, and that photo has opened up opportunities for him. If he'd been in a shapeless hoodie, I don't think that would have happened. He still has his dreadlocks, so it's not like he's sold himself out.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Daryo

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 11, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Hard disagree here! Of course ties have nothing to do with competence as a translator. Mihai is talking about coordinating the project, he didn't mention translation. Coordinating involves interaction with people and that involves first impressions. Of course the end result is what matters, but people are hugely influenced by their first impressions, which are based on outward appearance.
You may not like ties, neither do I really. But I recognise it as "smart" and so does the vast majority of the population. So it's the attire most likely to give a good impression. No point being vastly competent at the task if you can't convince the guy to give you the job in the first place.

P.L.F. Persio
Tina Vonhof (X)
MollyRose

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Webcam mishaps Feb 11, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:
...This dress-code thread reminds me of all the incidents that have come up on Zoom interviews in recent years, where smartly dressed 'professionals', looking their part in ther perfectly ironed shirts and ties and jackets, revealed that all they wore below the desk was a pair of grandpa-style briefs (that's how I remember those, anyway) and short socks...

The most hilarious in my opinion is the lover in underwear walking past in the background.

With an unknown prospect, I suppose I'd decorate my upper body as if I went to a face-to-face interview. With a PM who's known me for a while, I'd probably only comb my hair and make sure I wear something.

Working only with agencies, I've yet to be required to turn on a webcam to talk shop.

Philippe

[Edited at 2022-02-11 10:31 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:43
English to Turkish
Feeding the troll Feb 11, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
But I recognise it as "smart" and so does the vast majority of the population. So it's the attire most likely to give a good impression.

I've never worn/owned a suit and tie since graduating from the high school in 1995. I'm using this photoshopped picture to 'scam' agencies into thinking that I'm a 'good' translator, and I gotta say it works at times (ahem, I'm being 'sarcastic' here, you know, some people here seem to take things quite literally, but the photoshop part is definitely true). So I agree with you, 'smart' does make an impression on people.
The main draw of translation for me was to avoid dealing with people in general and not having to wear a suit and tie in the first place.
Btw the title of this post wasn't intended for you.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
Metin Demirel

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Kay, is it also necessary? Feb 11, 2022

And is it also necessary to wear a tie to coordinate a team of translators?
In my humble opinion, the best way to create a good impression is by being your authentic self, because it will make you feel more confident, helps you to build trust, and earn respect and integrity from the people you meet.
Of course, in business and social meetings, appropriate dress also varies between countries and cultures, so it's something that one should pay particular attention to, and so Mihai.
... See more
And is it also necessary to wear a tie to coordinate a team of translators?
In my humble opinion, the best way to create a good impression is by being your authentic self, because it will make you feel more confident, helps you to build trust, and earn respect and integrity from the people you meet.
Of course, in business and social meetings, appropriate dress also varies between countries and cultures, so it's something that one should pay particular attention to, and so Mihai.
I don't like ties and I don't like to form first impressions of a person based on his/her looks. What matters to me is individuals who have brains.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You don't have to Feb 11, 2022

You might wish to shave and put a clean and neutral sweater over your favorite Homer Simpson streaking naked/offensive-looking death metal band/gun-toting rapper t-shirt, but ties?

Really???

Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cool cats Feb 11, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I haven't worn a tie for 20 years. But I'm always thinking about buying an expensive, well made suit and wearing it with a good tie and a nice shirt. But then where would I go? To the supermarket?

Tom, you can sport your new gentleman attire, next time I'll come to London. I'll be wearing something smart myself, in order to try and match your predominantly male handsomeness with my feminine guile, and I'm sure we'll smash it out of the park.

London won't know what hit it: I'm going to paint the town all shades of magnolia beige. Watch this space.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
Giovanni Milone
Barbara Carrara

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visual aspects and implications for the business relationship (ethical dilemma)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »