Thread poster: S_G_C
Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Local time: 16:27
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
They are entitled to all of them but one Jul 12, 2022

Of the list of things you find disagreeable when registering with a new client, there is only one that I would object to and that is being required to use their in-house translation tool, which in my experience are always vastly inferior to Trados Studio and MemoQ. Not only are they unusable, but you have to become familiar with 10+ different tools. The last thing I need when a client passes me a 50,000 word translation with an urgent deadline is to have to waste time I should be dedicating to i... See more
Of the list of things you find disagreeable when registering with a new client, there is only one that I would object to and that is being required to use their in-house translation tool, which in my experience are always vastly inferior to Trados Studio and MemoQ. Not only are they unusable, but you have to become familiar with 10+ different tools. The last thing I need when a client passes me a 50,000 word translation with an urgent deadline is to have to waste time I should be dedicating to improving the quality of the translation fiddling about with a new tool that I have never used before, and to be honest the agency should realise that this isn't in their interest either if they want to receive a quality translation.Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Lieven Malaise
Adieu
Philippe Noth

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jul 12, 2022

Sorry, Laurent, Kay and Gerard, I was heavily involved in other threads and haven't visited this one since I made my post nor have I been following its notifications.

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:
As a well attired bride doesn't make a perfect spouse, excessive red tape doesn't make a perfect agency...

To be fairly honest, I -for one- am not opposed to REASONABLE requirements, but any company/employer must first show their "part of the investment".
You don't go to the store and say "I want a double-faced, fur-padded, camel-colored, silk-pocketed natural leather jacket" when all you have in your pocket is $5, or even worse (you're promised to have those $5 later).
I'm not charging you for meeting your requirements, but I need to know that you are worthy, I need to know that my effort will give back. At least, first agree on rate, volume and payment clearance, then reasonably require my part of the investment.
Asking for everything and giving nothing doesn't cut it!

Kay Denney wrote:
TBF these portals make life easier for the PMs, they have everything at their fingertips and simply work in the same portal all day long.

But, who are the actual money-generators? Us or PMs? Shouldn't we be the priority?
Even in underground trades like sex services, employers are becoming increasingly keen on preserving their money-generators.
I can't understand how we, actual service providers, can be the last element taken into any consideration by those companies!

Gerard de Noord wrote:
That's a very smart observation. They'll have the upper hand in all subsequent negotiations.

And, they do, because some of us wrongly let them.

[Edited at 2022-07-12 13:53 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm so fed up with this

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »