I'm so fed up with this
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 08:34
English to Romanian
Jul 3, 2022

Over the past six months or so, every potential new client I encountered has asked me to:

- register with them via their online portal - create a vendor account with a username and password and then a vendor profile (have resumes become obsolete or something?)
- undergo training in order to master their own CAT tool (where have Trados, MemoQ, and the like gone? Are these potential clients returning the investment to translators or something?) and invoice creation program
... See more
Over the past six months or so, every potential new client I encountered has asked me to:

- register with them via their online portal - create a vendor account with a username and password and then a vendor profile (have resumes become obsolete or something?)
- undergo training in order to master their own CAT tool (where have Trados, MemoQ, and the like gone? Are these potential clients returning the investment to translators or something?) and invoice creation program
- conclude an "agreement for the provision of translation services"
- read and sign an NDA
- read and sign other agreements
- read and adhere to their style guide

Now, (some of) these requests would be reasonable if not for the time spent to fulfill them.
The latest potential client sent me a "supplier agreement" comprising 8 pages and a "business associate agreement" comprising 17 pages - which is so full of specific terms and definitions, I didn't even bother reading it to the end as I couldn't understand the terminology (I can't remember any previous time when something like this happened).

The really sad? frustrating? part is that none of the above actually guarantees I will actually be assigned projects...

So why bother?
Why are they complicating things like this, what are they hoping to achieve?
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Philip Lees
philgoddard
Angie Garbarino
Goumiri Abdennour
Emily Gilby
Jennifer White

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:34
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Free admin workforce. Jul 3, 2022

What they are achieving is saving money on admins, assigning you their admin work.

Why don’t you simply skip clients like this?

I am surprised a free test translation is not on your list.

Walter Landesman
Laurent Di Raimondo
Jean Lachaud
Yolanda Broad
Ildiko Santana
Andriy Yasharov
Barbara Cochran, MFA

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 08:34
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Free tests Jul 3, 2022

I am surprised a free test translation is not on your list.

It always is.
But I like those.

Anton Konashenok
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jul 3, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
what are they hoping to achieve?

Having the upper hand!

Joakim Braun
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Kay Denney
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Skip it Jul 3, 2022

If I were to receive these requests, I would just skip it, delete it and move on.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jean Lachaud
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Philip Lees
Agneta Pallinder
Tom in London
ahartje

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
It's a warning flag Jul 3, 2022

It's often been observed here that the good agencies have very little red tape or officious requirements, pay better and faster, and are more pleasant to interact with. They also attract better translators, to judge from the proofreading jobs that come my way.

I'd consider signing an NDA, a separate work contract and possibly doing a short test translation. That's it. If the paperwork and list of "requirements" grows any larger it's a sure sign of paltry fees (paid after a long wait
... See more
It's often been observed here that the good agencies have very little red tape or officious requirements, pay better and faster, and are more pleasant to interact with. They also attract better translators, to judge from the proofreading jobs that come my way.

I'd consider signing an NDA, a separate work contract and possibly doing a short test translation. That's it. If the paperwork and list of "requirements" grows any larger it's a sure sign of paltry fees (paid after a long wait), few assignments and generally ungratifying attitudes.
Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Barbara Cochran, MFA
philgoddard
Christel Zipfel
Hans Lenting
Philippe Etienne

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Translation process automation is an ongoing trend, and you can't do anything to stop it Jul 3, 2022

According to the European Language Industry Survey 2022, 45% of language company respondents reported that more than 25% of their projects were run using automated workflows.

These automated business processes may include vendor onboarding, paperwork signing, training, translation request processing and quoting, pre-translation preparation, task assignments, moving tasks between stages (translati
... See more
According to the European Language Industry Survey 2022, 45% of language company respondents reported that more than 25% of their projects were run using automated workflows.

These automated business processes may include vendor onboarding, paperwork signing, training, translation request processing and quoting, pre-translation preparation, task assignments, moving tasks between stages (translation->editing->TQA), pre-delivery check, delivery, and invoicing.

From an LSP's point of view, automated business processes help them survive in the highly competitive environment against the backdrop of price pressures and tighter deadlines.

Independent language professionals may choose to decline working with LSPs using automated workflows, but this will be a losing battle in the long run.

I remember translators who refused to use a computer in the early 2000s, then to use CAT tools, then to use any cloud services, etc. Today, we have PEMT/MTPE tasks, and we can either accept or reject them. Whichever option you choose, the PEMT/MTPE market share will keep growing in the next few years.

-------

Personally, I don't like having to learn and deal with multiple TMS platforms used by different LSPs. My decision will depend on what I think about the particular LSP (their rates, task assignment model -- I don't want to trip over one another if an LSP operates on a first come, first served basis).
Collapse

finnword1
Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton
Stuart Hoskins

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Excessive red tape doesn't make a perfect agency Jul 3, 2022

Sadek_A wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:

Having the upper hand!

My sense is they just seek to already have available translators at their fingertips as soon as new projects araise.

Building a full-ready-to-work directory along with all necessary and unnecessary documents (in case of...) save them from wasting their time by submiting last-minute advertisements on ProZ website and treating all answers, CV (whether relevant or irrelevant) and all that jazz, at the eleventh hour.

That explains why most of them never get back to you - if so when weeks/months have passed over and over to such an extent that you have completely forgotten which of them you have signed with...

As Joakim just said: "It's often been observed here that the good agencies have very little red tape or officious requirements, pay better and faster, and are more pleasant to interact with".

I couldn't have put it better! I simply would add: The more papers you are asked, the lowest rates you will get the chance of being decently paid and the less interesting jobs you will be entrusted with.

Experience prove that red tape has always been the worst enemy of economy, including within the translation industry.

As a well attired bride doesn't make a perfect spouse, excessive red tape doesn't make a perfect agency...

[Modifié le 2022-07-04 05:17 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Joakim Braun
Tina Vonhof (X)
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Elizabeth Morris

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translators are like Uber drivers now - Software companies sell "translation agency portals" Jul 3, 2022

There are a number of companies that sell "translation agency portals" or "translation project management" portals. There are at least a dozen of them and they seem to be doing well, so one can only assume they each have a number of "agency" clients.

You want to start an agency so you pay the company a monthly fee and they automate the translator procurement process by providing ready-made template application forms.

It is possible that no human being will ever look at
... See more
There are a number of companies that sell "translation agency portals" or "translation project management" portals. There are at least a dozen of them and they seem to be doing well, so one can only assume they each have a number of "agency" clients.

You want to start an agency so you pay the company a monthly fee and they automate the translator procurement process by providing ready-made template application forms.

It is possible that no human being will ever look at your data before you are assigned projects.

Clients upload their projects to the portal, the software finds matching translators who meet the pricing and they are sent a notification. First translator to respond gets the job. Client pays through the portal

Translator uploads completed translation to the portal, enters invoice data into the portal.

Portal automatically issues payment to translator after a set period of time.

Once the portal data is set up, there is nothing to do but wait for the money to start rolling in.

Start your own agency in minutes! They even provide the website. No need for any staff or knowledge about the industry. Just SEO skills to promote the site or pay someone to do that too!

[Edited at 2022-07-03 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Oriol Vives (X)
Sławomira Kaczmarek

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Translation agency portals Jul 3, 2022

Justin Trumain wrote:

There are a number of companies that sell "translation agency portals" or "translation project management" portals.

Exactly, the subscription to such portals will cost you approx. €800-1,500 annually, depending on the functionality.

Clients upload their projects to the portal, the software finds matching translators who meet the pricing and they are sent a notification. First translator to respond gets the job. Client pays through the portal.

I tried a dozen of such portals three years ago. Typically, you may choose one of the two task assignment models:

1) The system sends notification to one or two preferred translators who will have a set time period (15-30 min) to either accept or reject the task. If they fail to respond, the system notifies second-tier translators ... then third-tier translators (if any).

2) The system sends notifications to multiple translators simultaneously on the first come, first served basis.

Translator uploads completed translation to the portal, enters invoice data into the portal. Portal automatically issues payment to translator after a set period of time. Once the portal data is set up, there is nothing to do but wait for the money to start rolling in.

Start your own agency in minutes! They even provide the website. No need for any staff or knowledge about the industry. Just SEO skills to promote the site or pay someone to do that too!

Not that easy In the end, you will be responsible to your clients for the result in terms of quality and timely delivery. And you are very likely to deal with poor-quality translations and missed deadlines from time to time, even if you pay good rates to your translators.

philgoddard
Adieu

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
That's really interesting, Vladimir Jul 4, 2022

I didn't know that's how they work. I hate them too - they're not designed with our needs in mind, and they've ruined my relationships with some of my best customers.

Tom in London
Kay Denney
Grace Anderson
Tina Vonhof (X)

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Big LSPs are focused on profit-making to look good before shareholders and investors Jul 4, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

I didn't know that's how they work. I hate them too - they're not designed with our needs in mind...

If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much. -- © Jim Rohn

When I outsource some overflow work, I'm trying to pay translators decent rates, compared to $0.015-0.04 per word offered by the vast majority of translation agencies in the ex-USSR countries.

Apibelle1980

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Red tape Jul 4, 2022

As others have said I just skip translation portals. This situation reminded me of an American translation agency which first of all asked me if I was willing to do a short medical test. After this was done and approved, asked for a photo (?), a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements and to top it all emailed me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, sign and return. Some companies seem driven mad by bureaucracy! In my book the more red tape there is, the less likely ... See more
As others have said I just skip translation portals. This situation reminded me of an American translation agency which first of all asked me if I was willing to do a short medical test. After this was done and approved, asked for a photo (?), a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements and to top it all emailed me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, sign and return. Some companies seem driven mad by bureaucracy! In my book the more red tape there is, the less likely you will get work. On the other hand, I have been working regularly with a few long-standing customers on the basis of an email exchange…Collapse

Tom in London
Christel Zipfel
Laurent Di Raimondo
Walter Landesman
Christine Andersen
Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 4, 2022

Sadek_A wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:

Having the upper hand!

TBF these portals make life easier for the PMs, they have everything at their fingertips and simply work in the same portal all day long.

Just the other day an agency I did a few translations for pre-covid sent me details to log on to their new portal and even asked me to attend a webinar to learn how to fill in my details.

I happened to have that afternoon free so I logged in. Turns out there's tons of stuff to be entered, and yes, they wanted us to either use their CAT tool or Trados which I hate. They can't be bothered to send an email with an attachment, you just get a notification that there's something for you on their portal. So instead of three clicks to see the text there are at least ten, and the password to be entered. And the payment is via a company in Denmark which doesn't sound very simple to me. It's not like they ever sent me any really interesting work, and they took longer to pay than my regulars so I suppose I won't work with them any more.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Philip Lees

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm so fed up with this

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »