Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:01
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Rarely. Jul 25, 2022

Only if I mismanaged my time during the week and didn’t complete what I had to when the deadline is due Monday for instance, or similar.

Do I take jobs on Friday that are due Monday? No, I don’t. Decent agencies don’t do this. 95% of agencies (and clients) operate Mon-Fri.

Christel Zipfel
Philippe Etienne

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
No Jul 25, 2022

I do not work on Saturdays (90% of the time) or Sundays (99% of the time). I am willing to put in extra hours on weekdays to keep my weekends free. Regular clients know and comply with my work/no-work schedule. (Which is usually in line with theirs.) For large volumes and/or tight deadlines, we negotiate what's best for both parties. New clients are informed up front so there are no unpleasant surprises.

Philippe Etienne

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Yes I will Jul 25, 2022

Of course, yes.
I can work every day of the year, except for Christmas.

Angie Garbarino

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
More often than not Jul 25, 2022

But I generally work half days on weekend days.

During the week I almost always start early and finish my work by 3-4.

I never work in the evenings or at night.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 26, 2022

I only accept work that can be completed during normal office hours. If I have to spend time working outside these hours, the client has to pay a surcharge.
I do work at the weekends though. If for example I'm sent a job on Friday afternoon, to be handed in by Monday EOB, that would take me six hours, I'll do two hours every day rather than work all day Monday. I can fit those two hours in when I feel like it, and then I'm free for any other stuff that might come up on the Monday. Althoug
... See more
I only accept work that can be completed during normal office hours. If I have to spend time working outside these hours, the client has to pay a surcharge.
I do work at the weekends though. If for example I'm sent a job on Friday afternoon, to be handed in by Monday EOB, that would take me six hours, I'll do two hours every day rather than work all day Monday. I can fit those two hours in when I feel like it, and then I'm free for any other stuff that might come up on the Monday. Although Monday is usually very quiet, so I'll often make tentative plans to do other stuff.
I like working at the weekend, because I know I won't get distracted.
Who ARE these clients sending work on Saturday? Are they in a country where everyone works on Saturdays, or just workaholics? I'd be tempted to either offer to do the job at double my normal rate, or answer on Monday with a wide-eyed "sorry I only just saw this, I can do the job for Wednesday if you like?"
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Axelle H.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nah Jul 26, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

I'd be tempted to (...) answer on Monday with a wide-eyed "sorry I only just saw this, I can do the job for Wednesday if you like?"

I usually do exactly that because it is true.
I don't work in the weekend - it is when my partner is free and my friends are out so I go and play. I don't read any emails either, certainly not work emails.

Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Any day Jul 26, 2022

I work when I work. It doesn't matter what day it is.

Andreea Popescu
Helena Chavarria
Philip Lees
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara
MamaG

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Why? Jul 26, 2022

Laurent Mercky wrote:

Of course, yes.
I can work every day of the year, except for Christmas.

Why not Christmas?

Claire Bourneton-Gerlach
Barbara Carrara

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Sometimes Jul 26, 2022

The great thing about freelancing is that I can, say, choose to take Thursday and Friday off and work the weekend.

Tom in London wrote:

I work when I work. It doesn't matter what day it is.

But unlike Tom, Saturday and Sunday still feel like the weekend, even if I've taken the previous two days off. So I try my hardest to keep my translation activities confined to Monday through Friday.

Christopher Schröder

Andreea Popescu
Andreea Popescu
Romania
Local time: 19:01
English to Romanian
+ ...
I work on Saturdays and Sundays Jul 26, 2022

Hello. I work on Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes, I work on holidays. Not exactly on the first day of the Orthodox Eastern, for example, but on the 3rd day, I am on my desk again.

My only day-off is Monday because on Monday the work load is very weak.
Or at least, this is what happens in my country, Romania.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Me Jul 29, 2022

I forgot to mention I have a partner, a teenage daughter, and 4 cats.

Cat no. 2 likes to sit on my keyboard and once managed to delete around 200 pages of hard work.

Cat no. 4 likes to chew on my fingers while I type and sleep on/next to the keyboard, blocking the cooling slots.

I used to work on Saturdays and Sundays too. But the people around got terribly frustrated, making me frustrated as well, so I reorganized my priorities.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
On? Jul 29, 2022

Andreea Popescu wrote:

...but on the 3rd day, I am on my desk again.

Now this sounds odd. Whatcha doin' ON your desk on the 3rd day?

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
I choose to work on Sundays Jul 29, 2022

I usually have a day or two off in the week, because it's quieter everywhere. The weekend crowd is really irritating, which doesn't let me relax at all.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sure, but not always at translating! Aug 1, 2022

Sunday 31st July I worked quite hard, getting up at 6 am (which is several hours earlier than usual for me!!).

I belong to a walking club, and we ran an event in the hills near where I live. My husband and I set off at 6.30 and collected bread, then we met other club members and set up benches and tables, made coffee and sandwiches, sold refreshments and talked to customers, and finally packed our things together again, all without benefit of electricity! We came home at 7 pm and we
... See more
Sunday 31st July I worked quite hard, getting up at 6 am (which is several hours earlier than usual for me!!).

I belong to a walking club, and we ran an event in the hills near where I live. My husband and I set off at 6.30 and collected bread, then we met other club members and set up benches and tables, made coffee and sandwiches, sold refreshments and talked to customers, and finally packed our things together again, all without benefit of electricity! We came home at 7 pm and we are still washing up up today.

I am no longer up to walking 32 kilometres - and there were routes of 5 or 12 or 17 km. I would take the shortest in the hills! But between us we make really good quiches, sandwiches and cake, and the beers, soft drinks and coffee were appreciated too.
It is good fun, but it is also hard work!

[Edited at 2022-08-01 14:23 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Qiujie Kong
Qiujie Kong
Australia
Local time: 01:31
Chinese
Sometime Aug 5, 2022

Sometime I work in Sunday, if I will be double paid. But I don’t really like it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you work on Sundays?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »