Thread poster: Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
Member (2013)
German to English
Aug 9, 2022

Not sure where to put this topic, but this forum seemed like the best place...

After several years, I have decided to change careers and take up employment. My main questions are about getting references from clients. Do you think it would be acceptable to potential employers if, in the references part of my CV, I put a link to my WWA on my proz.com profile? I am willing to provide contact details for some clients (with their permission, of course), but my WWA on my profile obviousl
... See more
Not sure where to put this topic, but this forum seemed like the best place...

After several years, I have decided to change careers and take up employment. My main questions are about getting references from clients. Do you think it would be acceptable to potential employers if, in the references part of my CV, I put a link to my WWA on my proz.com profile? I am willing to provide contact details for some clients (with their permission, of course), but my WWA on my profile obviously provides good general feedback on me, and of course a way to contact my clients.

I appreciate there may not be many currently employed, former translators on this board, but I'd appreciate any insights you have. For what it's worth, I don't expect my new job to be in translation at all, so I think it's safe to assume that my new employer would have no idea what Proz.com or WWA are without prior explanation.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nick Aug 9, 2022

It doesn’t hurt but if you’re not going to take a new job in translation at all it will be kind of useless, isn’t it? Good luck, anyway!

Baran Keki
philgoddard

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sure Aug 9, 2022

Hi Nick,

As long as the references are from long-term clients for whom you have done substantial work, I don't see a problem with this. I used such references myself when I applied for a full-time job. As Teresa points out, these will be of most use if the job you are applying for has something to do with translation but, even if such is not the case, the persons contacted could attest to your dependability, accuracy, attention to detail, ability to follow instructions, etc.
<
... See more
Hi Nick,

As long as the references are from long-term clients for whom you have done substantial work, I don't see a problem with this. I used such references myself when I applied for a full-time job. As Teresa points out, these will be of most use if the job you are applying for has something to do with translation but, even if such is not the case, the persons contacted could attest to your dependability, accuracy, attention to detail, ability to follow instructions, etc.

I wish you the best!

Robert
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Jorge Payan
TB CommuniCAT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions on changing careers and getting references

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »