Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it practical to ask a new client for a 100% fee upfront?
Thread poster: Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
Local time: 13:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't afford at the moment. Will be happy to do so if you could suggest a non-payment way. Oct 10, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems you are not a verified site member yet? Have you been through ProZ identity verification process?

If not, as an unverified member, you want to ask for payment in advance? Sounds surreal.

I did try to do it, but there's no such way for me to do so as of now that does not involve money. Could you suggest something, please?

Secondly, I submit my samples or undergo an unpaid test for the service to build trust with the client and to help them get an idea of what quality of work they can expect. What can I expect from them in order to safeguard my part of the deal? Don't I have a right to minimize my risks?

Thirdly, I am not talking particularly about Proz.com members. Clients contact me through various channels. Social media profile, LinkedIn, and Google Business listing to name a few. So unless I have money to spend on each site, I have no right to think about safeguarding my rightful money. Now that sounds surreal to me.

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure about anyone else, I don't work for Proz. Oct 10, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

You are missing basic risk management. Which client will consider paying a user without verified identity in advance?

I don’t get what you are saying, I can see a verified badge on your profile, this does not apply to you. Not quite sure what you meant by that comment.

[Edited at 2022-10-10 14:18 GMT]

The client is free to ask for verification from me, my details, and my ID, and I'll be happy to share it with them. Or, they are free not to approach me for their job in the first place.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Careful Oct 10, 2022

Supriya Dixit wrote:

The client is free to ask for verification from me, my details, and my ID, and I'll be happy to share it with them.

Please be careful with such requests. Your personal data can be misused for nefarious purposes.

Supriya Dixit
Walter Landesman

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:13
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Re. Oct 10, 2022

Supriya Dixit wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems you are not a verified site member yet? Have you been through ProZ identity verification process?

If not, as an unverified member, you want to ask for payment in advance? Sounds surreal.

I did try to do it, but there's no such way for me to do so as of now that does not involve money. Could you suggest something, please?

Secondly, I submit my samples or undergo an unpaid test for the service to build trust with the client and to help them get an idea of what quality of work they can expect. What can I expect from them in order to safeguard my part of the deal? Don't I have a right to minimize my risks?

Thirdly, I am not talking particularly about Proz.com members. Clients contact me through various channels. Social media profile, LinkedIn, and Google Business listing to name a few. So unless I have money to spend on each site, I have no right to think about safeguarding my rightful money. Now that sounds surreal to me.

No serious/sane client will send a random person on LinkedIn payment in advance, sorry to dash your dreams.

There is something called PayPal buyer protection but it does not work with non-tangible items such as translation (each client is aware of this, and no they won’t paypal you the payment in advance).

For instance if I shop a tangible item online, pay with Paypal, and the store turns out to be run by a scammer, I can initiate a PayPal refund quite easily.

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Oct 10, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Supriya Dixit wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

No serious/sane client will send a random person on LinkedIn payment in advance, sorry to dash your dreams.

But a serious/sane client will approach a random person on LinkedIn for his assignment?

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for the concern. Highly appreciated. Oct 10, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

Supriya Dixit wrote:

The client is free to ask for verification from me, my details, and my ID, and I'll be happy to share it with them.

Please be careful with such requests. Your personal data can be misused for nefarious purposes.

Andy Watkinson

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@5B, sorry, but ????????????????? Oct 11, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

You are missing basic risk management. Which client will consider paying a user without verified identity in advance?

I don’t get what you are saying, I can see a verified badge on your profile, this does not apply to you. Not quite sure what you meant by that comment.

[Edited at 2022-10-10 14:18 GMT]

I just checked my profile, and apparently I am a Professional member AND a Verified member.

Wow! Good for me!

[Edited at 2022-10-11 09:11 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
IrinaN
Supriya Dixit

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No risk, no gain Oct 11, 2022

It is impossible to set up a situation in which neither you nor the client runs at least a small risk. It takes time for you to produce a translation, so either you have to do a couple of pages on trust, or the client has to pay you up front, without knowing what they will get in return.

If you do not want to work with private clients because you cannot check them out, then go for agencies. I have had a few private clients, mostly for one-off jobs, but once they agree to my price, t
... See more
It is impossible to set up a situation in which neither you nor the client runs at least a small risk. It takes time for you to produce a translation, so either you have to do a couple of pages on trust, or the client has to pay you up front, without knowing what they will get in return.

If you do not want to work with private clients because you cannot check them out, then go for agencies. I have had a few private clients, mostly for one-off jobs, but once they agree to my price, they pay without problems.
I know the market may be different here in north Europe, but I do know a little about India, and you can trust most people there too.

Being open and ready to give just a little extra to make a bargain work out will help you find good clients, and it really pays off in the long run. I would start by getting my ID verified - but if that really means skipping a meal or something, then I understand.

I have been desperate too - and I know many people have difficulties one way and another in the world today, but you have to take a leap of faith - or at least a little hop, or you will never get anywhere!

Best of luck!
Collapse

Supriya Dixit

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 12, 2022

Supriya Dixit wrote:

Wow, you're really very lucky, and may you continue to be. What I was wondering is that just because some individual has approached me for the first time with an assignment, I can't assume that he won't be paying, unless he does something suspicious. But then, I can't blindly trust them too, right? So what, in your opinion, should be the best way to work with them while keeping yourself safe from possible losses? Of course, I send them a contract and everything with all the terms and conditions, but how can I make it more foolproof?

For private individuals, they are surely asking for small translations like their CV or birth certificate? I expect you could ask them for payment upfront, or at least half upfront and the remainder on delivery.

I have on several occasions been approached by a private individual who has seen my LinkedIn profile and asked me to translate a small document. I google their name to check that they haven't been associated with any scams, just as with companies, and I bill them immediately after delivery, because I've noticed that they will often pay straight away at that point. Whereas once when I waited till the end of the month, the person was not available to pay up straightaway and simply forgot, so I had to send out a reminder. At that point, they paid up promptly.

I expect if you ask for payment upfront, you'll also have to put a "satisfaction guaranteed" clause in your contract because otherwise, how can they trust you to do a good job?

Supriya Dixit
Christine Andersen

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Oct 12, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

For private individuals, they are surely asking for small translations like their CV or birth certificate? I expect you could ask them for payment upfront, or at least half upfront and the remainder on delivery.

Agree with all the points and observations. Mostly the jobs are small to medium, but sometimes high-volume assignments also turn up. For instance, an author just approached me a couple of months ago for proofreading his manuscript through LinkedIn.

Kay Denney wrote:
I expect if you ask for payment upfront, you'll also have to put a "satisfaction guaranteed" clause in your contract because otherwise, how can they trust you to do a good job?

Yes, I am willing to assure my potential client too, that's exactly why I was wondering if anyone is actually following similar practice or system and ideas to improve my business practices to safeguard my own interest, but the client's too.

I'm really grateful for your productive insights and ideas. Thank you so much!!

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great inputs...Thank you so much!! Oct 12, 2022

Christine Andersen wrote:

If you do not want to work with private clients because you cannot check them out, then go for agencies. I have had a few private clients, mostly for one-off jobs, but once they agree to my price, they pay without problems.
I know the market may be different here in north Europe, but I do know a little about India, and you can trust most people there too.

Being open and ready to give just a little extra to make a bargain work out will help you find good clients, and it really pays off in the long run. I would start by getting my ID verified - but if that really means skipping a meal or something, then I understand.

I have been desperate too - and I know many people have difficulties one way and another in the world today, but you have to take a leap of faith - or at least a little hop, or you will never get anywhere!

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for trying to resolve my query. I understand that risk is a part of the job and there will always be a small amount of it every time. I'm not trying to wipe out the risk factor, just exploring if there are some improvements in my business practices that I can make so that the process becomes more reliable and favorable for both parties.

I do a sample of their work on trust before we finalize the task assignment. I understand that I am as much a stranger to them as they are to me.

I have no issues with working with private clients, I only wish to ensure the minimization of risk for both of us.

You're right, the market is slightly different in India. Also, I do intend to go through the identity verification in near future, but I really wish there was some non-monetary way to do so. USD converted to INR becomes quite a significant amount.

Your insights have been really helpful, and it's nice to know about experiences from a different market. Thank you once again for taking out the time to talk!!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 13, 2022

Supriya Dixit wrote:

Mostly the jobs are small to medium, but sometimes high-volume assignments also turn up. For instance, an author just approached me a couple of months ago for proofreading his manuscript through LinkedIn.

If it's more than a month's work, I would suggest you deliver in batches, billing each separately. You can ask for a downpayment too, but it's important to not work for too long without being paid.
I'm currently waiting for a big job to land. I gave a rough estimate based on their draft, and it was looking like a good 2½ month' work, and they were going to be adding bits and pieces to the final version too. I negotiated to whatever I had managed to complete by the end of each month, and bill each time, so I'm sure of getting some money each month. If there are payment problems, I will down tools until they are resolved, otherwise I might find myself with very little income and not much time to take on other jobs.
Private individuals wanting help with manuscripts can be pretty flaky, IME. They have no idea how much a translator's services might cost, and no idea of the time needed. In 25+ years' translating, I've only once worked smoothly on a full manuscript for a private individual, and that went smoothly because it's a very dependable friend who asked me to do the job!

Supriya Dixit
Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion. Oct 13, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

Supriya Dixit wrote:

Mostly the jobs are small to medium, but sometimes high-volume assignments also turn up. For instance, an author just approached me a couple of months ago for proofreading his manuscript through LinkedIn.

If it's more than a month's work, I would suggest you deliver in batches, billing each separately. You can ask for a downpayment too, but it's important to not work for too long without being paid.
I'm currently waiting for a big job to land. I gave a rough estimate based on their draft, and it was looking like a good 2½ month' work, and they were going to be adding bits and pieces to the final version too. I negotiated to whatever I had managed to complete by the end of each month, and bill each time, so I'm sure of getting some money each month. If there are payment problems, I will down tools until they are resolved, otherwise I might find myself with very little income and not much time to take on other jobs.
Private individuals wanting help with manuscripts can be pretty flaky, IME. They have no idea how much a translator's services might cost, and no idea of the time needed. In 25+ years' translating, I've only once worked smoothly on a full manuscript for a private individual, and that went smoothly because it's a very dependable friend who asked me to do the job!

Great advice! Highly appreciated, thank you yet again.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it practical to ask a new client for a 100% fee upfront?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »