Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it practical to ask a new client for a 100% fee upfront?
Thread poster: Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
Local time: 20:01
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 9, 2022

Hello everyone,
Thank you so much for giving your precious time to go through my query. I am a freelance language services provider for English-Hindi language pair. I have been trying to improve my business practices and negotiation techniques to suit the client's interests while ensuring my financial stability.

I read some time back that working with a new client, especially if he is an individual or a less-known organization, can be risky in terms of payment surety. One of
... See more
Hello everyone,
Thank you so much for giving your precious time to go through my query. I am a freelance language services provider for English-Hindi language pair. I have been trying to improve my business practices and negotiation techniques to suit the client's interests while ensuring my financial stability.

I read some time back that working with a new client, especially if he is an individual or a less-known organization, can be risky in terms of payment surety. One of the ways mentioned to avoid it was to ask for a 100% advance payment which sounds good, but I was wondering - won't it be risky from the client's point of view as I will be new to him too? Why would he want to pay me in advance for a service he doesn't even know will be satisfactory or not? And if he's not satisfied or his client rejects my work, how can he be assured that he will not lose his money? Is there a way to do this thing while ensuring mental peace and assurance for both parties?
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:31
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Trust Oct 9, 2022

Most clients are reasonable and honest people. They are looking for someone who will provide a service, for which they are willing to pay. People discuss the bad payers and warn others, but they do not post here every time just to say: ´Hey, I got paid on time!´

If you tell clients what the job will cost before you start, they may be surprised and think you are asking a lot, but then you have to convince them that it is a fair rate for the work involved, and that you will give the
... See more
Most clients are reasonable and honest people. They are looking for someone who will provide a service, for which they are willing to pay. People discuss the bad payers and warn others, but they do not post here every time just to say: ´Hey, I got paid on time!´

If you tell clients what the job will cost before you start, they may be surprised and think you are asking a lot, but then you have to convince them that it is a fair rate for the work involved, and that you will give them value for money. At that stage, if they refuse to pay, or you do not trust them, walk away!
Agencies often ask for your ´best rate´ or try to press your rate down, but call their bluff - the best clients know that you need a realistic fee if you are to make a living and deliver quality work, and they will pay.

If the first request is a small, routine job - a couple of pages - I would run the risk and not ask for payment until I delivered the translation. (You can always do a background check on an agency to see whether anyone else has had trouble before you reply to their request.)

If you are asked to take on a large assignment, something that will take a couple of weeks or more, then I think it is fair to ask for part payment, either after an agreed time, or when you have delivered a small section or a chapter. Then the client can see what your work is like, and if there are any issues, you can sort them out together before going any further with the assignment.

That way both you and the client have a certain amount of security. If they do not pay for the first small section, then of course, you stop working, cut your losses, and look for another client. In the majority of cases that should not be necessary.

In more than 20 years of translating, I can count on my fingers the clients who did not pay. Either the jobs were very small, and I did not spend time chasing them after a few reminders, or, when large amounts were involved, the client did pay in the end. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had very little trouble with payments, and I have worked for many clients who have come back with more work.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Supriya Dixit
Josephine Cassar
Walter Landesman
Vera Schoen
Ulla Kask
Tina Vonhof (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Due diligence and trust Oct 9, 2022

I have been translating for over 40 years and the only cases I have asked for 100% advance payment are sworn translations for private individuals. Many years ago, when I was working in Belgium, I had two cases where my clients never came back to fetch their translations, so I decided to: 1. charge a fixed rate per page upfront (1/2 rate for short documents) and 2. require the original documents and never work with photocopies. For B2B transactions, I think I am a good judge of character, because... See more
I have been translating for over 40 years and the only cases I have asked for 100% advance payment are sworn translations for private individuals. Many years ago, when I was working in Belgium, I had two cases where my clients never came back to fetch their translations, so I decided to: 1. charge a fixed rate per page upfront (1/2 rate for short documents) and 2. require the original documents and never work with photocopies. For B2B transactions, I think I am a good judge of character, because through the email exchange I always get a sense of how a potential client behaves and I’m never afraid of asking questions or even of walking away if something sounds fishy. Anyway, conducting due diligence is a must!Collapse

Supriya Dixit
Walter Landesman
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 10, 2022

Yes, I have been lucky never to have a client not pay touch wood. If I felt that there was a problem, I would refuse to work with the client rather than have them pay me upfront. Because those who don't pay are also more likely to cause other problems. And let's remember that the most common scam around here involves payment upfront with a dud cheque.

Supriya Dixit
Jorge Payan

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input Oct 10, 2022

Christine Andersen wrote:

If you tell clients what the job will cost before you start, they may be surprised and think you are asking a lot, but then you have to convince them that it is a fair rate for the work involved, and that you will give them value for money. At that stage, if they refuse to pay, or you do not trust them, walk away!
Agencies often ask for your ´best rate´ or try to press your rate down, but call their bluff - the best clients know that you need a realistic fee if you are to make a living and deliver quality work, and they will pay.

If the first request is a small, routine job - a couple of pages - I would run the risk and not ask for payment until I delivered the translation. (You can always do a background check on an agency to see whether anyone else has had trouble before you reply to their request.)

If you are asked to take on a large assignment, something that will take a couple of weeks or more, then I think it is fair to ask for part payment, either after an agreed time, or when you have delivered a small section or a chapter. Then the client can see what your work is like, and if there are any issues, you can sort them out together before going any further with the assignment.

That way both you and the client have a certain amount of security. If they do not pay for the first small section, then of course, you stop working, cut your losses, and look for another client. In the majority of cases that should not be necessary.

In more than 20 years of translating, I can count on my fingers the clients who did not pay. Either the jobs were very small, and I did not spend time chasing them after a few reminders, or, when large amounts were involved, the client did pay in the end. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had very little trouble with payments, and I have worked for many clients who have come back with more work.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your valuable input. Much appreciated as you are much more experienced than I am at the moment. I do check about the client if it is an agency, but sometimes individuals also approach with their content. At this point in my career, every penny counts to me. Hence I wish to avoid any financial losses as much as I can.

Christine Andersen

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful input Oct 10, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have been translating for over 40 years and the only cases I have asked for 100% advance payment are sworn translations for private individuals. Many years ago, when I was working in Belgium, I had two cases where my clients never came back to fetch their translations, so I decided to: 1. charge a fixed rate per page upfront (1/2 rate for short documents) and 2. require the original documents and never work with photocopies. For B2B transactions, I think I am a good judge of character, because through the email exchange I always get a sense of how a potential client behaves and I’m never afraid of asking questions or even of walking away if something sounds fishy. Anyway, conducting due diligence is a must!

Hi,
Thank you so much for responding. I also try to check the agencies before agreeing to work with them, but yes, I am still skeptical when it comes to individual clients. Your pointers are very useful, I'll try to do something like this too.
Sometimes, the clients, after having tested me or gone through my sample, start by assigning an initial portion of the actual project but say that they will assign more if their client approves it. This is another situation that makes me apprehensive. Though I do as they ask and my work has not been rejected by a client to date, touch wood, but is this a usual thing? And what happens to the work I have put in if their client doesn't like it that much? Will it still be chargeable?

Supriya Dixit
Supriya Dixit
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I know if the client, mainly individual client, won't be paying? Oct 10, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

Yes, I have been lucky never to have a client not pay touch wood. If I felt that there was a problem, I would refuse to work with the client rather than have them pay me upfront. Because those who don't pay are also more likely to cause other problems. And let's remember that the most common scam around here involves payment upfront with a dud cheque.

Wow, you're really very lucky, and may you continue to be. What I was wondering is that just because some individual has approached me for the first time with an assignment, I can't assume that he won't be paying, unless he does something suspicious. But then, I can't blindly trust them too, right? So what, in your opinion, should be the best way to work with them while keeping yourself safe from possible losses? Of course, I send them a contract and everything with all the terms and conditions, but how can I make it more foolproof?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Oct 10, 2022

Unless you’re working with the public. I don’t.

I would never work with a customer I do not trust anyway.

IrinaN
Tom in London

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Absolutely Oct 10, 2022

I always do with new clients, and no-one has ever objected.
If the fee is very large, I ask for 50% upfront and the balance prior to delivering the translation, or 30 days after.

Do what you feel you need to to safeguard your business.

Supriya Dixit
Walter Landesman
Christel Zipfel
Robert Forstag

Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
I always give a lot of trust to my clients. Oct 10, 2022

I trust any client before they really fail to me. Be tolerant, and everythiny must be a reason if there is any delay for email response, PO or even payment. Just be patient, and follow their procedure to complete your payment until they really disappoint you.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is it practical to ask a new client for a 100% fee upfront? Oct 10, 2022

Depends. In general 'no', they won't pay upfront anyway, and you probably will lose a potential client, but there is one situation in which I do, namely with private persons.

'Trust' is a necessity in our line of work, but also a two way street. Companies can be searched and checked, but when a private person doesn't pay, what tools do you have to get your money?

Therefore I ask them to send me their full data (= full address, phone number, etc + VAT-number if applicabl
... See more
Depends. In general 'no', they won't pay upfront anyway, and you probably will lose a potential client, but there is one situation in which I do, namely with private persons.

'Trust' is a necessity in our line of work, but also a two way street. Companies can be searched and checked, but when a private person doesn't pay, what tools do you have to get your money?

Therefore I ask them to send me their full data (= full address, phone number, etc + VAT-number if applicable). Then I send them my invoice with a request to transfer the due amount to my bank account. Once I receive the payment, I will start with the translation.

By the way, I don't have many private persons as client.
Collapse

Supriya Dixit

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Verified? Oct 10, 2022

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems you are not a verified site member yet? Have you been through ProZ identity verification process?

If not, as an unverified member, you want to ask for payment in advance? Sounds surreal.

Jorge Payan

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Perhaps I AM missing something ..... Oct 10, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems you are not a verified site member yet? Have you been through ProZ identity verification process?

If not, as an unverified member, you want to ask for payment in advance? Sounds surreal.

Why not? I am already a paying member since 2006 or 2007 or so, but I don't exist????

What is a verified member anyway, and why should I need it? I am not WORKING for Proz!!!!

Supriya Dixit
Michael Newton
Kevin Fulton

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, you are… Oct 10, 2022

You are missing basic risk management. Which client will consider paying a user without verified identity in advance?

I don’t get what you are saying, I can see a verified badge on your profile, this does not apply to you. Not quite sure what you meant by that comment.

[Edited at 2022-10-10 14:18 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Perhaps I am also missing something Oct 10, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

If OP got their client base outside ProZ, what does that matter?

Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it practical to ask a new client for a 100% fee upfront?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »