Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translation agency requests a copy ID/driver’s licence and a scan of a bank statement
Thread poster: Tatjana Lauber
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:13
Danish to English
+ ...
GC? Oct 27, 2022

Is the company's initials GC? They contacted me in August, but I gave up when faced with their bureaucracy with ID documents even for translators working through limited companies. To verify my nationality, they said. I told them I was working through my own company, to which they replied that they don't work with agencies. Duh. They didn't really seem to know what they were doing, so I didn’t go any further.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 11:13
Italian to English
+ ...
You could ask them why they need these details Oct 27, 2022

If they're a decent bunch of people, they won't mind explaining.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Stepan Konev
expressisverbis

Tatjana Lauber
Tatjana Lauber  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Oct 27, 2022

No, it's a different company.

Tatjana Lauber
Switzerland
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further explanation Oct 27, 2022

They explain they need my ID (with concealed sensitive data) to protect their and mine professional integrity.
For the bank statement or scan of online banking it's for: seeing my permanent residency, my preferred currency and that my taxpayer status matches the country of my permanent residence.

This just does not add up. My bank account does not contain any information relating to my taxpayer status or my country of permanent residence. And it's in a currency (CHF) they do n
... See more
They explain they need my ID (with concealed sensitive data) to protect their and mine professional integrity.
For the bank statement or scan of online banking it's for: seeing my permanent residency, my preferred currency and that my taxpayer status matches the country of my permanent residence.

This just does not add up. My bank account does not contain any information relating to my taxpayer status or my country of permanent residence. And it's in a currency (CHF) they do not even offer to pay in.

I still think they are serious but extremely bureaucratic. And I must say I really do not feel like sending my ID with my banking data (even edited) to another country via the internet.

[Edited at 2022-10-27 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I'd tell them to get lost Oct 27, 2022

Tatjana Lauber wrote:

This just does not add up. My bank account does not contain any information relating to my taxpayer status or my country of permanent residence. And it's in a currency (CHF) they do not even offer to pay in.

I still think they are serious but extremely bureaucratic. And I must say I really do not feel like sending my ID with my banking data (even edited) to another country via the internet.

I would not submit to all this snooping by a paranoid agency thinking they have to act like a tax inspector and crime investigator in one.

[Edited at 2022-10-27 18:58 GMT]

expressisverbis
dkfmmuc
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Chosana Thanabhumi

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Transfer a small amount between the bank accounts Oct 27, 2022

Tatjana Lauber wrote:

In any case it's actually seems to be a good idea to check the nationality/country of residence for translation purposes. I once posted a job offer on Proz.com, looking for a Swiss medical translator (to support me in a complex project). I even received offers from Uganda. Strangely, the Swiss German from Uganda refused to communicate in German with me...

[Edited at 2022-10-26 21:10 GMT]

Dear Tatjana,

the whole process sounds completely weird and risky. In order to see that both bank accounts are in good standing and not blocked by legal proceedings you can just transfer a tiny amount and add some info in the reference field.

On the receiving end of the payment normally only the accountant, secretary or management has access to. They should be able to state this number or whatever you filled in. If they send you one or two pounds through the SEPA payment you will see the sender of the payment. Here again the sender has to have access to the account and the payment workflow of his or her company.

Without further ado: The small number of projects where I have/had to proof ID are/were non-civilian projects, entering a building or editing non publicly available info. Which never left that secure environment. Nothing really sensational, just only the security measure of the manufacturer to keep his proprietary technology secure from competition.

There are many risks involved when unrelated third parties try to "harvest" copies of government IDs. Some years ago in Munich there were legal proceedings against a (then former) policeman collecting them for unauthorized use. Süddeutsche Zeitung reported.

I am sure you can find several non risky workarounds. If not send me a DM without any personal and confidential information.

Best regards

Gerd

Edit: I think I was not emphasizing enough: It is ok to show a security personnel at an entrance the ID in contrast to send it to an unknown third party which has no justification in requesting this.

[Edited at 2022-10-28 11:01 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tatjana Oct 28, 2022

As they say they need all this to protect their and your professional integrity, I’d say OK I’ll show mine if you show me yours.

Frank Jensen
Frank Jensen  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Danish
+ ...
Peddling personal information Oct 28, 2022

[quote]Tatjana Lauber wrote:

Is this normal in the UK/with UK-based companies?

________

Just experienced the same with Universal Language Solutions, who wrote this:

- Kindly note that the below is mandatory in order for us to successfully add you to our database.
- CV (updated, including your address and contact telephone number)
- Proof of ID and address
(a.) Proof of ID: ID Card, Passport, or Driving License
(b.) Proof of address: Any utility bills

There is no good reason apart from excessive control to ask for this. Do not ever hand out such information unless required by law (certain investment portals etc.)

Frank

Tatjana Lauber
Switzerland
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@all Oct 28, 2022

Dear all,

Many thanks for your replies!

We found a good solution. Instead of my ID I sent a copy of my permission to work as a freelancer and instead of the bank statement a document containing my name, my taxpayer number and my address.

So - all is fine.

Wish you all a great weekend ahead.

Tatjana

Thomas T. Frost

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tatjana Oct 28, 2022

All’s well that ends well. Good luck and have a nice weekend!

Michael Newton

Jorge Yong
Jorge Yong
Cuba
Local time: 05:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation project Nov 4, 2022

I don't think asking for bank details would be a proper way for confirming identity. I never answer these requests. They are not for real. I advise you not to give any of this information.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency requests a copy ID/driver’s licence and a scan of a bank statement

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »